• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem: Font in expression editor changed in 23.2

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to 23.2 this morning. The font in the expression editor has changed to a non-monospaced font, which makes my code so much harder to read. Can't seem to find any solution. Thrashed preference files, loaded older preference files, tried a reinstall, still stuck with this trainwreck of a font for scripting.

Any tips to what I should do, besides waiting for the next update to (hopefully) fix this?

My Specs:

MacBook M1 Pro

MacOS Ventura 13.1

Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 12.58.08.png

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Troubleshooting , UI and UX , Workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Hi all,

Thanks for your patience.

This issue has been fixed in After Effects version 23.3. Update your After Effects using the Creative Cloud desktop app.

Best,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Hi all,

Thanks again for reporting this bug with the monospaced font in the expression editor. There is now a fix available in the latest After Effects (Beta) builds in the Creative Cloud app, which will also be included in the next release version of After Effects as long as no new issues are found.

Until the next release version is available, the current workaround will restore the monospaced typeface in AE 23.2.x: sync the typeface Source Code Pro from Adobe Fonts and the expression editor

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
20 Comments
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The expression editor is broken as well. It doesn't show a monospace font anymore. Feels like coding in MS Word xD

NOTE: Title edited by the moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not seeing this on my system with any installed version of After Effects:

RickGerard_0-1675972724898.png

Have you modified any of your system's font or display settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm glad you don't have that problem, Rick.

Nevertheless the problem persists. It is also mentioned by others in the general AE 23.2 thread.

Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 09.28.58.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MikkelBech,

Thank you for reporting this issue. We are aware of this and investigating it for a fix for a future version of After Effects.

There is a workaround for 23.2: if you sync the typeface Source Code Pro from Adobe Fonts, the expression editor should pick it up and use it.

Thanks again for reporting this issue,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i dont know what you did to the expressions window but the fonts look aweful.... is that an arial font with way to less linespacing. its annoying to look at. maybe give the change to change it or just use some themes from vscode ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Second this. It makes the code look unorganized, especially when using multiple lines of code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @m_schmid and @Geert-S,

Thanks for your report. Let me check this with the team and see if they are aware of any issues with the expression editor.

Cheers!

Rameez 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Stepphun

I checked this with the After Effects team, and they are working on a fix. Meanwhile, it will work around the issue if you can sync Source Code Pro (the monospaced typeface usually used by the editor) via Adobe Fonts.

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:
The team is aware of this and is working on a fix. Meanwhile, you can work around the issue by syncing Source Code Pro (the monospaced typeface usually used by the editor) via Adobe Fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it helps, I experienced this on my machine running Windows 11, but on my machine using Windows 10 the font is the correct one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit realise I have that font installed so maybe that's why!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Josh,

Every bit of information is helpful. Thanks for letting us know that installing the font works for you.

Feel free to reach out.

Best,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! This week, I updated After Effects from version 23.1 to 23.2.1, and I noticed that the font in the expression panel has changed. Previously, it was a monospace font that was which was easy to read. However, the new font has almost no leading, is not monospace, and is really difficult to work with. I'm having a tough time reading and editing my expressions. I contacted Adobe support, but they informed me that there is no way to change the font. Is there any solution to this issue, or should I continue using version 23.1 until the next update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MXBA,

Thank you for reporting this issue. This unfortunately did break in 23.2 and 23.2.1. The monospaced typeface has been restored in the latest Beta build and so will also be fixed in the next release of After Effects. Please let us know if you do try out the Beta builds and see that the issue is not fixed for you.

In the meantime, there is also a workaround for AE 23.2.x: if you sync the Source Code Pro typeface from Adobe Fonts, the expression editor will pick up and use that monospaced typeface again.

Our apologies for this frustration. To keep the conversation on this bug from getting too scattered, I'll be merging this post with the existing report thread we have for this issue.

Thanks again,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thanks again for reporting this bug with the monospaced font in the expression editor. There is now a fix available in the latest After Effects (Beta) builds in the Creative Cloud app, which will also be included in the next release version of After Effects as long as no new issues are found.

Until the next release version is available, the current workaround will restore the monospaced typeface in AE 23.2.x: sync the typeface Source Code Pro from Adobe Fonts and the expression editor should pick it up and use it.

Thanks again for reporting this issue,

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround with Adobe Fonts worked perfectly. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, unusable now. Hope this was not some fancy idea of some genius developer. So much to improve in After Effects when it comes to text, it keeps on skipping letters both when I type in a text field and when I choose a font. And the fact that underlining is still not contemplated is pathetic. I wonder if soon what happened to Xpress when Indesign took over will happen to After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks this worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thanks for your patience.

This issue has been fixed in After Effects version 23.3. Update your After Effects using the Creative Cloud desktop app.

Best,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Per @nishu_kush's post, marking this issue as Fixed in 23.3.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate