• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Output Module Templates can't remember Output Color setting

Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to manually set it every time I go to render.  

v23.2.1, using OCIO ACES 1.3

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Troubleshooting , UI and UX

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Hi all,

This issue has been fixed in the 23.4 version of After Effects. Please install the latest version of After Effects and let us know right away if you are still not able to save OMs with the desired Output Color settings with OCIO.

Thank you again for reporting this issue,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
19 Comments
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

further info: AE remembers the setting throughout the session. But when I close and relaunch AE, it forgets.

Mac Studio, Ventura 13.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @blunderbot,

Thank you for reporting this issue. Could you provide more details on which color setting is not being recalled when After Effects is relaunched?

Thanks again for reporting this issue and for any further information you can provide,

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OCIO ACES 1.3

Outpu Color Space: Input/Sony/S-Log3 S-Gamut3Cine

AE Template bug BEFORErelaunch.jpgAE Template bug AFTER relaunch.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing this problem. AE23.2.1 on Windows10.
I make an output template, either still or sequence, and assign Output Color Space: ACES/sRGB.
When I relaunch AE the colour space gets reset to Working Colour Space - ACES - ACEScg. Which means all my output files have to be trashed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @blunderbot & @Chris24890225jku3,

Thank you both for reporting this bug. We are able to reproduce it as well and we have opened a ticket to investigate this for a fix in a future version of After Effects. Our apologies for the frustration this issue has caused.

Any fix for this issue will be available in Beta builds for testing before coming to the release version. Once a fix is available in Beta, we will update this thread so that you can let us know if the issue is resolved for you.

Thanks again,

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JohnC

-DaveT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the Edit Menu to create a new Output Module preset. I customize them, create presets for specific clients, and never fiddle with the edit menu in the render queue. It will save you a bunch of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rick Gerard Please read my pinned response in this thread—this issue is due to a bug that our team is now investigating, not from user error. The Output Module Templates dialog opened from the Edit menu is the same as the one opened from within the Render Queue, and OMs saved from that dialog all exhibit this issue when using OCIO color management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know there is a bug. It's still a good idea to create custom presets and edit them. Saves time and assures consistent results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My team is currently dealing with this bug as well. We are trying to save presets for different color space outputs and they are not saving when restarting After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for addressing this issue. I was dealing with the same problem back in March and it continues to be an issue, especially when working in ACEScg.

The only temp workaround is to make new templates each session if you plan to be sending a lot of things to the render queue... but everything resets to default to the project's working color space for outputs when you quit an reopen.

By now it's just muscle memory to have to set the color output for each comp in the queue manually which is really inefficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using AE 23.3.0 on a Macbook Pro 2021 using OS Monterey...

I'm finding that when I make an output module template in AE, and set the Output Color Space to "Rec709", the next time I set up that template, the Output Color Space has switched to "Workspace".

Adobe, is this a known issue?  Is there a known solution to this?

n.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second that, I also have presets that sometimes switch to 'workspace', from a specific assigned color space like ACES (adobe engine) or an S-log3 setting (OCIO engine).

I presume it has something to do with the addition of the OCIO color engine, which uses a different set of luts, presets can only be set in the engine you use and seem to switch to Workspace when the engine is the other one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far, I've only rendered through AE's native Render queue, and experience the problem without jumping to other render engines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, same for me, presets change/reset within a color engine, without changing color engine.
I just assume that because of the color engine addition there might be some 'confusion' or maybe changes in the lut names or path to luts or whatever, that break the presets.
It is a problem, the whole reason for using presets is that you don't have to set and check every time.
And especially with the addition of the OCIO engine it's even more important as working in ACES requires to deliberately set the color space interpretation of every footage file and set a color space for the each render (like rec709 for h264 previews and camera log for final shot render). Using presets is essential for the workflow, and having them just change the color setting to a default without warning is defeating the purpose of a preset...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a fix for this coming in 23.4 when it releases soon. In the meantime, you can try with the 23.5 beta which should also have the fix.

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice! Thanks for the relpy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

A fix for this issue is now available to try out in the latest public Beta builds of After Effects (Beta) 23.5 and will also be included with the next release of After Effects. If you can, please give the Beta a try and confirm if you are able to save OMs with OCIO enabled that remember their Output Color setting.

Thanks again for reporting this issue,

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

This issue has been fixed in the 23.4 version of After Effects. Please install the latest version of After Effects and let us know right away if you are still not able to save OMs with the desired Output Color settings with OCIO.

Thank you again for reporting this issue,

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate