• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hide After Effects failing on Mac OS Ventura

Contributor ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been seeing issues with Cmd-H ever since upgrading to Ventura, but unlike the Save As… dialog cursor bug, I haven't seen this one mentioned elsewhere. AE often fails to hide when I use Cmd-H. The UI focus shifts to the Finder, but the AE window remains visible. If I minimize AE, undocked panels remain visible and cause issues. Using the menu command After Effects > Hide After Effects seems to work more consistently than the keyboard shortcut, though that may be coincidence. The problem as a whole is intermittent, not constant, so it's hard to test and provide specific detailed descriptions.

Bug Started
TOPICS
UI and UX

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Apple has informed us that a fix for this issue at the OS level has been made in MacOS 14 Beta 6 that should work with existing releases of AE. With that fix and the alternative workaround AE has implemented, users using AE 24.0 on any supported OS version or users using a supported version of AE on MacOS 14 should have the Hide App functionality restored. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Hi all,

Thank you again for your reports on this issue. We've been able to reproduce it as well and are investigating a fix for a future version of After Effects. Once a fix is available in Beta, we will update this thread to get your feedback.

Thanks again,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Update: Apple have confirmed the increase of this occuring is due to a bug in the OS, broken between MacOS 12 and MacOS 13, related to the work they did with Stage Manager. Apple are currently testing a fix internally for MacOS 14. They have also given us some guidance on how we may be able workaround the bug giving some hope that a future version of AE will not have this problem on MacOS 13. 

Once the fix from Apple is available on MacOS 14 betas, and/or we can implement the workaround, we wi

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
99 Comments
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since I upgraded to Ventura, when I hide after effects, it stays open on the desktop instead of hiding. I can still click on the UI elements but it doesnt reactivate in the menu bar unless I cmd-tab back to AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SteveKirby,

Thanks very much for reporting this issue. When you're in the state where After Effects does not hide correctly, try clicking on the After Effects icon in the Dock. Does it hide as expected after that? It sounds like After Effects might be in a "half-focused" state to start with and clicking the Dock icon might fully focus it so that it can be properly hidden/defocused.

Additionally, what is "Use System Shortcuts" set to in Preferences > General?

Thanks for reporting this issue and for any further information you can provide, 

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ryanbutterworth,

Thanks for writing in.

I haven't seen this issue before. Is it happening only with After Effects?

Let us know.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. I've not experienced it in photoshop or illustrator. It's complete random too. Sometimes hide works, but most of the time it doesnt. I'm on the latest versions of all the apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @JohnColombo thanks for responding. You are correct - clicking on AE in the dock did make it possible to Hide it as expected. My 'Use System Shortcuts' is checked on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue on two different Macs. Command + H doesn't hide AE, it keeps the AE interface just as it was, but makes it inactive. So the inactive AE interface is then covering up the OS desktop. Yes, it works to right + click on the Mnemonic icon in the dock and select "Hide", but command + H produces this strange behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same issue again, but this time I had to click on the app icon in the dock twice. The first time I did so, AE came back into focus but still did not disappear when I hit Cmd-H (it just shifted focus to another app but the AE UI remained in place). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue on two different computers. M1 Ultra Mac Studio and M1 Max MacBook Pro, both on Ventura 13.1 and After Effects 23.1. Re-calling AE from the dock doesn't always work but constantly hiding and calling it back from the dock eventually lets you hide it. But yeah, happening on two machines over here. Also noting that Use System Shortcuts is checked on my end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. But clicking on it in the dock doesn't help at all.

MacBook Pro 14" M1 Max

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, and stopped by this site to report. Since updating to Ventura I'm seeing that I can no longer hide AE unless I use the same technique by going to the dock and selecting "Hide". I use all of the other Adobe production apps and they seem to be OK so far (Premiere, Audition, as well as Photoshop and Illustrator). 

Per your note @SteveKirby, "Use System Shortcuts" is checked. I tried un-checking to see if that made any difference, fwiw.

Will stay tuned for a patch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was happening so much that I've been forced to change my AE pref to not 'use system shortcuts' and adapt my aging muscle memory to use the default Ctrl+Cmd+H. If only Illustrator could use the same combination (which Photoshop also defaults to)… (seems like AI can't acces the Mac ctrl key for some reason).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. imac 3.6, 8-core, i9, 72GB RAM, 13.1 Ventura. Command + H not working, right clicking AE in the dock and selecting "hide" works about 40% of the time. "Use System Shortcuts" is checked in Preferences. To finally get it to hide, I have to try hiding about three times before it will actually hide it. Please, please fix. This is super annoying. I hide AE dozens of times a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have continued to have this problem as well since updating to Ventura. Currently on Ventura 13.1, AE 23.1. "Use System Shortcuts" is checked on.

Sometimes it hides when I click the icon to refocus, sometimes I have to click it twice, and sometimes nothing works. I have trouble hiding it all ways: command + H, option + clicking dock icon, and right-clicking dock icon > Hide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, same. I thought that 'use system shortcuts' had fixed it but no, it still happens with the default Ctrl+Cmd+H to Hide (maybe slightly less often).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects 22.6.0 and 23.1.0 Mac Studio, OS 13.1.

I go up to the menu bar and select Hide After Effects but the application remains 100% visible. If there's a finder window or Safari window behind my AE interface that will come forward, but AE continues to cover the desktop.

Sometimes selecting Hide from the AE icon in the dock WILL hide the app, but most of the time it doesn't.

This is happening after wiping my system drive and installing everything from scratch to correct the "Unable to connect to dynamic link server" issue.

I'm not seeing this behavior on a separate OS 12.6 system I'm using for testing. AE DOES hide properly on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Command + h works just fine on my Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my setup the shortcut to hide AE is Control-Command-H, and all that does is push AE below whatever other windows might be open. It still covers the desktop. All of my other Adobe apps hide as they should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having exactly the same problem.  I recently upgraded to a new Mac Studio and the latest MacOS and whenever I hit command h After Effects goes no where.  Same if I manually click hide from the menu bar.  It's really annoying.  Didn't use to be this way.  No I have to click the little minimize - yellow circle to fake hide the application.  Would love some help too from anyone that knows whats going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to know it's not just me. For the people for whom After Effects DOES hide properly, are you running OS 13.1 Ventura?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to have got worse and worse, I am now able to hide AE about 1 time in every 6 attempts. And it happens even when I invoke Hide from the menu bar, nothing to do with keyboard shortcuts (that may have always been the case…). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem.

It started when I upgraded to Ventura.

I erased my entire disk and settings to purge all possible issues, and still I cannot hide my after effects.

I can hide photoshop, illustrater, and all others...but when I tell After Effects to hide...it just sits there like a dead fish.  This is devastating to my working flow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i reset my drive to remove all variables...and I still can't fix it.

Something about AE 23+ and Ventura just bamboozles the hide function.

I can't easily re install the older macOS...

pain leads to suffering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick-Are you running Ventura on your system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

probably not.  If I hit command H enough times...eventually it does hide.

I reclick on the software window after every attempt...

sometimes it's as many as 7 attempts.

The pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just noting that I updated to 23.2 yesterday but this hiding bug is still present in that version of After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate