• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe announces the End of Life for Business Catalyst

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is committed to delivering exceptional software and services to our customers. It’s in our nature to innovate and try new things, and it was in this spirit that we acquired Business Catalyst in 2009. As we re-focus on products that broadly provide our customers with the most value, Adobe is announcing the end of development for Business Catalyst as of March 26th, 2018. New sites will no longer be available for purchase starting with June 18th, 2018. 

Adobe will stop hosting existing sites on Business Catalyst on March 26th 2020. Adobe encourages customers to download their data and migrate to other systems well before March 26th 2020. Detailed how-to information and assistance is available. Customers' data will be retained by Adobe until March 26th 2020, after which date the data will be deleted. Data retention is for the sole purpose of allowing customers to export their data and transfer to another platform.   

We thank our Business Catalyst users and want to help them make a smooth transition to a third-party service. Please see the following for more information on transitioning:  https://secure.worldsecuresystems.com/product-announcement

Please see below a detailed FAQ.

Why is Adobe discontinuing Business Catalyst?

Adobe is committed to delivering exceptional software and services to our customers. It’s in our nature to innovate and try new things, and it was in this spirit that we acquired Business Catalyst in 2009. As we re-focus on products that broadly provide our customers with the most value, we are now announcing the end of life for Business Catalyst. We thank our Business Catalyst users and want to help them make a smooth transition to a third party service.

When will the End of Life take effect?

On March 26th, 2020.

Will this end-of-service affect paid sites as well?

Yes, all sites, including trial and paid sites, partner sites, etc. will be affected by the end of life.

Will data be available for download beyond the service end date?

1. No. Data will be deleted. We encourage users to download their data before the service end date.

I need help downloading my data. Whom can I contact for help?

BC users may find export instructions in the Business Catalyst Help and Support pages. If you still have questions, please contact our Customer Support team.

How long do I have to export my data?

All Business Catalyst servers will be taken down on March 26th, 2020, after which all customer data will be deleted. Please export your data before March 26th, 2020.

How long will you keep my data? What will you do with it?

We will retain your data until March 26th, 2020 or until you delete your site, whichever is sooner, so that you can transition to another product.

Do you recommend another product for me to use?

While there are other hosting solutions available in the market, Adobe does not recommend a specific product. For basic websites and Creative Cloud users, we provide documentation to help with transition to GoDaddy, should the customer choose this replacement. Moreover, since we’ve seen the emergence of Do-It-Yourself (DIY) website creators that leverage customizable templates to quickly create responsive websites, Adobe is making our own investment in the DIY space and welcomes all interested customers to join our upcoming pre-release program for a new format that will be introduced later this year as part of Adobe Spark.

Will new features be developed?

No, new features will no longer be developed on Business Catalyst. We are maintaining a small team to correct critical issues, but no new work is being done. The Business Catalyst team will maintain the PCI and GDPR compliance throughout the lifetime of the product and develop any new features needed in this respect.

Will Adobe still fix the bugs in Business Catalyst?

We will continue to repair critical issues (related to security, payments or customer data for example) when they appear, however, the work will be limited to bugs that have a high security or high stability risk. We will not be fixing minor items with small impact or that have a workaround which can be used.

Will my site be closed down?

At this time, all sites will continue to be live and the public will see no difference in your site. However, starting with March 26th, 2020 all sites will no longer be live and they will not be accessible either to the general public, or to the site administrators. Please find an alternative platform for your site and data before this date.

Can I continue creating trial sites?

You can continue creating trial sites until June 18th, 2018. They need to be upgraded to a paid plan before June 18th, 2018. The data from these sites, as well as from any other site in your portfolio, needs to be removed from the platform before March 26th, 2020.

Can I upgrade my trial site to paid?

You can continue upgrading trial sites to paid until June 18th, 2018, but the data from these sites, as well as from any other site in your portfolio needs to be removed from the platform before March 26th, 2020.

Can I downgrade my site or make any other plan changes?

Yes, you can continue making any changes to your site plan and extras until March 26th, 2020.

Can I still purchase extras?

You can continue purchasing extras until March 26th, 2020. Please note that all extras expire on March 26th, 2020 and can no longer be used after that date.

Can I continue sending newsletters?

The e-mail marketing features will continue to work for the duration of your site. You can continue sending emails until March 26th, 2020 at which point all newsletter credits remaining in your account will expire.

Can I still redeem my commissions?

You can continue to redeem the commissions available in your account until March 26th 2020.  Following this date this feature will not be available anymore.

What happens to the commissions below $500?

At this time, we are researching technical options to allow redemption of lower commissions. Please stay tuned for further announcements from the Business Catalyst team.

Can I extend the validity of my extras beyond March 26th, 2020?

No, the validity date for your extras can no longer be extended. All extras not used until March 26th 2020 will be forfeited.

Will I be able to use Adobe Muse or Dreamweaver to update my site?

Yes, until March 26th, 2020, if your desktop app still functions properly.

Will I still have technical support for Adobe Business Catalyst?

Yes, until March 26th, 2020. However, after June 18th, 2018, our support team will give a higher priority to cases about the off the platform migration questions, in addition to critical security, compliance, and availability issues.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 474 Replies 474
Participant ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omg so Adobe is only giving me approximately 30 days to figure out how to pivot dozens of clients before you let them know directly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess they are only giving you 30 days before you'll need to explain it to your existing clients (assuming they don't discover earlier) but 2 years to provide a solution for them.

For mine, that part is relatively manageable, what's very much harder is only 11 weeks to come up with a new way to make a living, and/or redesign projects already in the proposal stages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we're pretty much saying the same thing C9-MB, it's just that when I talk to my clients about it I want to have a software and hosting way forward already decided upon. Because that is key to having a conversation about what and when the redevelopment will take place and who will pay for it. How is 30 days a reasonable amount of time to do that for 48 different sites?

That's what kills me about Adobe deciding to inform our clients in 30 days.
Worst of all, lucky I am even in this forum or I wouldn't have found that out!
Magda, Adobe at the very least needs to send another email to BC partners with the timeline you posted in this thread.
The ethical thing to do would be to give us 90 days before you start calling our mutual customers who will be immediately calling me afterwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. You can’t put new projects on catalyst. So you need to find a viable solution soon.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the face of so many facing ruin and business closure, this answer is beyond insulting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Magda,

Its unacceptable to not open to your community the options of continuing the BC service.

We just launched 2 months ago client who spent $65K on building a custom BC site. Unfortunately I am now going to face legal action from him for not delivery of our 5 year contract.

Regardless of Adobe circumstances, it is the wider impact on your communities business that must be considered. And if the community costs for this decisions moves into millions of $$, as indicated above then I am sure the community will look for means of recovery.

MM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course not. Your company has become unreliable & support is even worse. Don't believe me? Try to get the correct answer the first time you chat online. Even worse try talking to an actual human. I think it may be time to move on from all your products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will an enterprise version or some sort of version that we can install on our servers be released so that we can responsibly migrate customers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shannon,

Unfortunately the Business Catalyst code is too complex for such a solution to be feasible.

Magda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Magda: I have been an Adobe customer and a Business Catalyst user for years. I have paid Adobe thousands in licenses and subscriptions.

Now it's Adobe's turn to repay me:

1) I paid for a LIFETIME license to use Business Catalyst. Please refund my money.

2) Please tell me how you will settle accounts with dividends less than $500.00?

Please resolve this quickly so that I can  move all my assets (including Adobe CC subscriptions) to other providers.

Marshall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marshall,

I am sorry, but we are not refunding Partner fees. We have stopped selling this product more than 2 years ago, and feel that the users that have purchased this have had ample time to use the benefits provided by the Premium Partnership (additional commissions, rebranded accounts and so on).

As for the commissions under $500, we will make a notification when the commission limit is lowered, to allow everyone to redeem their sums.

Magda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Magda: What you (Adobe) feels is irrelevant, legally speaking.

We signed up for and purchased LIFETIME licenses.

My request stands: Refund my license fee.

I hear a Class Action coming on...

Marshall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are in on that lawsuit!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know a lawyer who will take this on....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

The attorney Liz references above is

David M. Kobylinski, Esquire

KOBYLINSKI + KOBYLINSKI

515 Court Place, Suite 4

Pittsburgh, PA 15219

Phone:   412-281-6600

Fax:       412-281-6610

dave@koby.law

He contacted me saying that he will take this on at no cost out of our pockets.  Thanks Liz for taking the lead on this.  We need to all coalesce around one suit to make this work.

-Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Magda,

The argument for not refunding premium partner fees is sound when expressed in isolation, as you succinctly did.

However, on the other hand, multi-billion dollar Adobe is forcing small-business partners to pay for its software development mistakes/decisions to the point of endangering their businesses.

Adobe should act in an ethical manner, but so far it is not. Extending the EOL only allows all of us to bail the company out over an extended period.

I really don't understand why Adobe doesn't get out in front of this thing, and do the right thing, instead of ignoring comment after comment in both this and the Muse thread about the financial damage it is wreaking. A gesture such as refunding partner fees, free Adobe CC subscriptions.... something!!

What is achieved by ignoring all of these customers complaining about the financial hardships Adobe has caused? I can only think that Adobe either thinks its customers are lying and/or stupid, OR it is afraid of admitting any liability for fear of being held to greater accountability than whatever token gesture it might come up with.

The damage to the brand in the creative community worldwide may not be something you can see in the accounting numbers or stock price today or tomorrow, but in the long run, following up the Muse/BC development mistake with this decision to ignore the financial damage it is now causing its customers, will likely be of greater stock price impact. People talk.

Not only that, but if someone does successfully bring a class-action to court, this tone deaf attitude at this time will only add to the prosecutor's case.... showing willful indifference.

Look at Volkswagen. It is rebounding because they admitted their mistake, and took their lumps. Adobe, you're allowed to experiment in software, and make mistakes, but thinking that you can experiment without regard for the financial impact on your customers is simply unethical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree.  I paid for a LIFETIME membership.  Not a "as long as Adobe keeps the platform alive" membership.  I should be reimbursed.  I didn't quit on Adobe, but Adobe quit on me and thousands of other developers.  We should also receive our commissions asap regardless of the balance.  How can Adobe just kick us to the curb?  This is really hitting me hard, as like others, I have sold clients on the merits of Adobe and the BC platform.  Will they pay me move and reprogram their sites?  I doubt it.  I cannot even ask them to do so.  While Adobe gets to just wash its hands clean from everything, those who trusted in you and sold you to others are now stuck holding the bag.  I see a LOT of late nights coming up with no compensation.

Great decision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Business Catalyst brings "the most" value to my business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Magda,

Please do not be condescending. I have made great efforts to communicate with you with understanding and respect in spite of the devastating effect this is having on my business and employees. I request to be treated with the same understanding and respect.

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joe,

I apologize if my words have been misunderstood, but I am in no way trying to be condescending, and was hoping that my communication is respectful and understanding. I am not sure what was misinterpreted, but please accept my apologies.

What I was trying to convey was that we do not have a specific date and time set for the direct emailing of customers, and the decisions will be made based on the feedback of the initial round of communication as well as the rate of site migration. We have a lot of situations where partners and customers do not have the best communication or none at all, so we need to reach out to all parties involved and allow them to make informed decisions regarding the future of their business.

My forum post about communication to customers was only intended to reflect direct mailings, as indeed we have already announced publicly on Facebook and other means of communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Magda,

Apology accepted...thank you. Can you please explain the strategy of making the announcement public before contacting users? We are all trying to formulate our communications to our customs. Your public announcement before contacting users seems counterintuitive, but perhaps there is a logical reason that we are not seeing. Some explanation would be great.

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joe,

The nature of Business Catalyst, allowing both end customers and web professionals to have a direct relation with Adobe, was an important factor in having us making the announcement public on the product website and Facebook page as we have equal responsibility to all paying customers. However, we will not push an direct email communication to end customers for now, allowing web professionals some lead time to form their own messaging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Magda,

I agree...all paying customers should be notified, perhaps in a more sensitive and useful way. However, I am the paying customer, not my clients. Adobe chose to make the information available to them before I had the opportunity to contact them. I suspect Adobe is aware that Facebook is a public platform that is a powerful way to spread news. They have quite a few users, some of them are our clients. The post on Facebook appears to be a self-serving post rather than a consideration to users or partners. The use of Facebook to make the public announcement is another example of how poorly this is being handled. Arguing about the public relations inappropriateness by Adobe will not get us partners anywhere, that is clear. An acknowledgement or apology would be nice, but I do not expect either will be forthcoming from a company like Adobe. "Never admit a mistake" is always the corporate response that will best play with stockholders (of which I am also one.) I will end this discussion and focus more on what Adobe will be doing, if anything, to help us going forward.

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is INSANE!  There no alternatives to replicate sites built with liquid and web apps!   WTF!  This just bankrupted my business!!  I am going to find a CLASS ACTION.  Adobe needs to take financial responsibility for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Around 70-80% of BC developers will be out of business within two years because of this announcement.  Writing it off as a failed innovation experiment, and talking about customer value, and trying to push a new DYI Adobe product is both extremely callous and tacky and shows a disconnect between what the product actually is and Adobe's version of what they think it is. 

End of Life is inevitable for some products.  For most products.  But you really should have given the partners that depend on this platform a more adequate notice.

1.  Partners should have known before a public announcement was made so we had time to transition and stop selling the product.  Many of us literally sold BC to clients last week and now have to deal with the fallout of a public announcement for it going out of business.  This will severely harm our reputations.

2. We should have more than 10 weeks to finish our current projects and learn a new platform.  Many of our development times are longer than that and as we are in the middle of projects now we won't hit our deadlines and promised dates since we have to both find and learn a new solution before June.

3. Two years is helpful, but not for people with dozens of sites that now have to be rebuilt and transferred for free.  Because the servers are being turned off all companies that trusted Adobe will be entered into a cost benefit analysis of either taking a severe reputation hit, or a severe financial hit.  Most of them will not survive, and trusting Adobe will be the thing that killed them. 

4.  If you are going to make an announcement like this, and don't have the ability to sell it, then at least form some form of relationship with a current service so partners have a viable exit strategy.  This is giving us some time, but ultimately still completely abandoning us. 

It is a complicated decision with lots of factors.  Most of us run businesses and understand when decisions like this have to be made, but this was not handled correctly at all and has not been properly evaluated by people that understand how taxing it is to run a web based business.  This announcement to us reads as "We know we sold you on our name and security.  We know you trusted us and put your lives in our hands.  But you shouldn't have trusted us, you were a toy to us, we like to innovate and try new things and our experiment with you didn't work so here have a DIY builder that you won't ever use on your way to bankruptcy."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines