• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe announces the End of Life for Business Catalyst

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is committed to delivering exceptional software and services to our customers. It’s in our nature to innovate and try new things, and it was in this spirit that we acquired Business Catalyst in 2009. As we re-focus on products that broadly provide our customers with the most value, Adobe is announcing the end of development for Business Catalyst as of March 26th, 2018. New sites will no longer be available for purchase starting with June 18th, 2018. 

Adobe will stop hosting existing sites on Business Catalyst on March 26th 2020. Adobe encourages customers to download their data and migrate to other systems well before March 26th 2020. Detailed how-to information and assistance is available. Customers' data will be retained by Adobe until March 26th 2020, after which date the data will be deleted. Data retention is for the sole purpose of allowing customers to export their data and transfer to another platform.   

We thank our Business Catalyst users and want to help them make a smooth transition to a third-party service. Please see the following for more information on transitioning:  https://secure.worldsecuresystems.com/product-announcement

Please see below a detailed FAQ.

Why is Adobe discontinuing Business Catalyst?

Adobe is committed to delivering exceptional software and services to our customers. It’s in our nature to innovate and try new things, and it was in this spirit that we acquired Business Catalyst in 2009. As we re-focus on products that broadly provide our customers with the most value, we are now announcing the end of life for Business Catalyst. We thank our Business Catalyst users and want to help them make a smooth transition to a third party service.

When will the End of Life take effect?

On March 26th, 2020.

Will this end-of-service affect paid sites as well?

Yes, all sites, including trial and paid sites, partner sites, etc. will be affected by the end of life.

Will data be available for download beyond the service end date?

1. No. Data will be deleted. We encourage users to download their data before the service end date.

I need help downloading my data. Whom can I contact for help?

BC users may find export instructions in the Business Catalyst Help and Support pages. If you still have questions, please contact our Customer Support team.

How long do I have to export my data?

All Business Catalyst servers will be taken down on March 26th, 2020, after which all customer data will be deleted. Please export your data before March 26th, 2020.

How long will you keep my data? What will you do with it?

We will retain your data until March 26th, 2020 or until you delete your site, whichever is sooner, so that you can transition to another product.

Do you recommend another product for me to use?

While there are other hosting solutions available in the market, Adobe does not recommend a specific product. For basic websites and Creative Cloud users, we provide documentation to help with transition to GoDaddy, should the customer choose this replacement. Moreover, since we’ve seen the emergence of Do-It-Yourself (DIY) website creators that leverage customizable templates to quickly create responsive websites, Adobe is making our own investment in the DIY space and welcomes all interested customers to join our upcoming pre-release program for a new format that will be introduced later this year as part of Adobe Spark.

Will new features be developed?

No, new features will no longer be developed on Business Catalyst. We are maintaining a small team to correct critical issues, but no new work is being done. The Business Catalyst team will maintain the PCI and GDPR compliance throughout the lifetime of the product and develop any new features needed in this respect.

Will Adobe still fix the bugs in Business Catalyst?

We will continue to repair critical issues (related to security, payments or customer data for example) when they appear, however, the work will be limited to bugs that have a high security or high stability risk. We will not be fixing minor items with small impact or that have a workaround which can be used.

Will my site be closed down?

At this time, all sites will continue to be live and the public will see no difference in your site. However, starting with March 26th, 2020 all sites will no longer be live and they will not be accessible either to the general public, or to the site administrators. Please find an alternative platform for your site and data before this date.

Can I continue creating trial sites?

You can continue creating trial sites until June 18th, 2018. They need to be upgraded to a paid plan before June 18th, 2018. The data from these sites, as well as from any other site in your portfolio, needs to be removed from the platform before March 26th, 2020.

Can I upgrade my trial site to paid?

You can continue upgrading trial sites to paid until June 18th, 2018, but the data from these sites, as well as from any other site in your portfolio needs to be removed from the platform before March 26th, 2020.

Can I downgrade my site or make any other plan changes?

Yes, you can continue making any changes to your site plan and extras until March 26th, 2020.

Can I still purchase extras?

You can continue purchasing extras until March 26th, 2020. Please note that all extras expire on March 26th, 2020 and can no longer be used after that date.

Can I continue sending newsletters?

The e-mail marketing features will continue to work for the duration of your site. You can continue sending emails until March 26th, 2020 at which point all newsletter credits remaining in your account will expire.

Can I still redeem my commissions?

You can continue to redeem the commissions available in your account until March 26th 2020.  Following this date this feature will not be available anymore.

What happens to the commissions below $500?

At this time, we are researching technical options to allow redemption of lower commissions. Please stay tuned for further announcements from the Business Catalyst team.

Can I extend the validity of my extras beyond March 26th, 2020?

No, the validity date for your extras can no longer be extended. All extras not used until March 26th 2020 will be forfeited.

Will I be able to use Adobe Muse or Dreamweaver to update my site?

Yes, until March 26th, 2020, if your desktop app still functions properly.

Will I still have technical support for Adobe Business Catalyst?

Yes, until March 26th, 2020. However, after June 18th, 2018, our support team will give a higher priority to cases about the off the platform migration questions, in addition to critical security, compliance, and availability issues.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 474 Replies 474
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is ultra bad news, I did rely on Adobe for many years, I just feel that Adobe don't care about us, especially now when everything online, it's like cutting the tree, I can't believe it, for me it's like saying Photoshop or Adobe Creative Cloud will be discontinued. It's sounds exactly same. Imaging how people would feel about it. I don't trust Adobe, don't trust their management, I understand that you don't care about people, but that's it. Hope someone will developed something reliable software and platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Business reasoning. Whoever is making these decisions is not very strategic or looking at the long term interests of your business. This is a short term, short sighted, decision. A decision that will destroy the businesses of clients who use your business partners to design websites for them, the businesses of your business partners - and ultimately the Adobe brand.

Whoever made this decision to ignore the wishes of their customers, is preparing for Adobe itself to shut down. Is that the real motive? Because that will be the result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should have figured out a CLEAR path for all of your subscribers before you announced. Adobe is now untrustworthy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Spark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2018-03-27 13.53.49.png

All those apps saying basically the same thing. When you see confusion on the right direction and what to do. You can take out Muse now of course but honestly, I would not trust that those low end solutions will last very long. I do not believe Adobe understand or can get the right direction and path forward for tools for the web. There are several other web based apps over the last 2/3 years alone that have disappeared from CC already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Magda, the date on your post, in my part of the world was the 25th when I first looked at it.  But thats even WORSE.  No, I have not received ANY notification from Adobe and I have currently 30 paid sites, and more in development.   I get it that you are also out of a job, and Im sorry, but I am out of BUSINESS.  I know we are only being told the bare minimum, and the extent of this horrific decision in only just starting to be known.  Shame on you all.  Im sick about this and it couldn't have been handled worse.   I have literally HOURS to develop a strategy for contacting all my clients before they find out through the grapevine or online.   the Facebook community has been more forthcoming than Adobe itself.   You killed a perfectly viable product and ongoing revenue stream and destroyed peoples' livelihoods, with literally no notice.   Spin it how you like, but its wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whow. Simply whow. This is what I got from the Adobe support team regarding roumours of the end of BC:

Shadab Ahmad Ghazali (Adobe Business Catalyst Support)

Feb 12, 20:55 EET

Hi Peter,

Thank you for contacting us!

I am not sure who has written the forum post.

The Business Catalyst platform is updated and maintained regularly the major updates are announced at System Updates forum - https://forums.adobe.com/community/business_catalyst/system_updates

In addition to this we do announce the various new features introduced time to time at Business Catalyst blog at http://businesscatalyst.com/bc-blog/

So, saying that Business Catalyst core functions of BC are no longer maintained, updated or fixed is incorrect. In addition to this, every day hundreds of sites get added to Business Catalyst platform.

I hope this helps!

Best regards, 
Shadab Ghazali
Business Catalyst Support Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Claudia,

At the time of your inquiry the information provided by my colleague from support was correct and he had no knowledge of any other official announcement.

Magda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, which is it. Business Catalyst or no Business Catalyst? Do we have a hack or a two-headed monster here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the warning was short, we are in trouble, but what is the alternative to this host that I used as a test ?. But can not existing sites be synchronized with muse? thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have built a business around this platform, with over 50 sites hosted and managed. W chose Adobe because we felt it to be a stable and reliable platform, with professional support. This announcement is both shocking and devastating to our company and employees. Perhaps it is our fault for putting our eggs in one basket, but we thought the basket we chose would not fall apart. What will happen to our business next when they discontinue Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign? We have made a huge investment in Adobe for over 30 years. They called us partners. This is no way to treat loyal customers, much less partners. Much more will be said on this devistating betrayal. For now, I have to focus on saving our business and our employees' jobs.

Lesson learned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty short notice - particularly for those of us who are in the final stages of Dev for large projects... What the heck are we supposed to tell these clients?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a meeting is 15 minutes to show a client we site we have developed with custom apps that have taken a tremendous about of work. We were exciting about the demo we are pitching today. Now this. What are we supposed to do? Does anybody think Adobe even cares about the businesses they are affecting with this announcement? What is goint to happen to all of the artist that may their living in Photoshop when the discontinue that product?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I literally have no idea what to do with my business now. Ironically, I always sold the BC platform to clients as reliable, established system that was rock solid....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am with everyone else when I say wow! I have never been more disappointed and upset, I feel a huge pit in my stomach because of this announcement.

My life is on the line because of a 'big wig's' decision in an ivory tower somewhere to close BC, not fair!

In even thinking about the costs that I am going to have to fork out to migrate my 40+ websites, ecommerce sites, custom developed sites to another platform is mind-boggling! I bought into BC in the beginning thinking that I had found a great all-in-one system that would be a reliable solution for me because it was an Adobe product! So much for that! Now I will be spending my time and my team's time for the next year moving all of these sites without making ANY income, because I surely cannot charge my clients for this Adobe mistake, I honestly don't know how I am going to do it (the pit in my stomach is growing by the hour)!

So upset to even express all of my thoughts!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG!!! You literally killed agencies who brought all their clients to BC because of the Adobe name behind! I want to see how Brent Weaver, Liam Dilley and other big shots in the community will react now?

BC TEAM! You dragged us down with you like the TITANIC...

I want to see all paid partners cancel their Creative Cloud rip off subscription!

$1999 for lifetime membership?! You are a joke!

Thanks for nothing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This announcment puts people out of work. It damages reputations. It destroys countless hours of effort. What a failure of leadership. What a slap in the face of “partners”. What a typical Adobe thing to do. “sorry “ is just not going to cut it. You owe people real explanations of why this is being done and why not selling BC. At least let us know why this idiotic decision was made so we could comprehend it. Otherwise you leave us with just thinking Adobe is a bad partner and dishonest business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gilles,

We do not make any official recommendations for migration, precisely because there is no one solution that would fit all sites. We provided a very simple tutorial on migrating to GoDaddy for very basic websites, because we have a lot of low end websites with less experienced partners who could benefit from a very simple solution.

This is not however a blanket recommendation for all sites, as we are well aware that this will not be feasible for the more advanced plans.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't say I'm surprised.

Migration/redevelopment is going to take a lot of time and money for many us.

How about a goodwill gesture like no longer charging us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOW ABOUT ADOBE REIMBURSE ALL PAID PARTNERS IN THE VALUE OF $1999 or GIVE US A VOUCHER THAT WE CAN USE TOWARD PAYING FOR CREATIVE CLOUD???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Magda please pass along...or suggest how I could.

Dear Mr. Narayan:

Please reconsider your decision to end the life cycle of Adobe Business Catalyst.  BC is a strong community of thousands of small web designers and developers, that helps enable tens of thousands of small businesses transform and innovate to compete against larger companies all around the world.  In addition, thousands of non-profits rely on BC to raise millions in donations using BC.

You have a product that can easily compete against Hubspot and Shopify in the non AEM market.  Yes Adobe's stock price has done well and I am sure your shareholder's are happy, but this seems to be an area Adobe continues to neglect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour, je me retrouve comme vous tous à finaliser des sites avec Adobe Muse, ou à signer des contrats pour d'autres sites en ayant convaincu mes clients que réellement Adode était un "partenaire" sans faille, en perpétuel recherche/développement et que ça fait 25 ans que j'en utilise les outils. Cette annonce est dévastatrice et décrédibilise la société ADOBE à mes yeux, de façon définitive. C'est irresponsable vis à vis des utilisateurs. Le comble c'est qu'aujourd'hui encore vous pouvez vous abonner à Adobe Muse sur le site d'Adobe ! Incroyable non ? Un scandale !

Si quelqu'un trouve une solution qu'il le fasse paraitre.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

valxrousse  wrote

Le comble c'est qu'aujourd'hui encore vous pouvez vous abonner à Adobe Muse sur le site d'Adobe ! Incroyable non ? Un scandale !

Il est bien sûr utile qu'en cas de besoin qu'on s'abonne à Muse. Muse n'arrêtera pas à fonctionner dans la quinzaine.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not surprised.

As a 30+ year Adobe Product user (anyone remember Illustrator '88?) this product has never lived up to the caliber of the Adobe line of simplicity and ease of use. Very clunky. I've had to create lots of workarounds. Especially on implementation of Muse to BC. I will happily move my clients to another platform.

I understand all the complaints on the comments. I really do, and I myself have clients on this platform. But they depend on me to make their system work. And I'll continue to do that.

I have ONE REQUEST: FOCUS ON MUSE. PLEASE! - All of us that are designers love it. Integrate more features. Give us more inbrowser editing capabilities. Don't force us to use Wordpress. (Yuck!)

Remember this: Long time Adobe product users (Like me) are loyal, and want the continued quality products that we know you can deliver. Do your DUE DILIGENCE next time. BC was a great idea but the deliverables were not there.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines