• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving Website to BC - Will Emails Come Along?

Contributor ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have done a website for a customer, in Muse and it's currently hosted with Comcast. My client would like me to host it on BC.

My question is, when I change the DNS to move the website to BC, will their existing emails come along?

I have the document, Creating Inboxes For Your Users/Create New Emails, so do I have to add each email I want or will they automatically come along with the website?

ALSO, they have email accounts already so I'd like to be able to move all of their email folders, saved emails, etc.  Is this possible?

Thanks so much,

Annette

TOPICS
Going live

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  I could really use some help on how to get all their emails to come over when I switch to BC.

Anyone?

Annette

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Emails on the web do not come along when you change hosts and services Annette. They do not work like that.

There are LOTS of different settings and information with websites, domains and emails.

You can have a domain name and have emails in one place but your website at another and so on, you can have them all in the one place as well.

But switching DNS in full will mean you no longer have access to the emails on the other host, especially if you close those down unless you set up the records in BC. But if you are wanting BC to now host your emails you will be loosing the other service.

You need to ensure you backup and that your email client has pulled all your emails down from the server and stay locally so when you change to your new email settings they old ones will remain on your machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for responding!

So I understand this correctly,

1) I can't move the old email folders from the old host?

2) Maybe I could leave their email where it is and just move the website to BC?  I wouldn't know where their email is currently located, I would assume with comcast as this is where their site is, but I don't know.

3) So if they move all of their current email folders to their computers, not somewhere in the cloud, they would have access to them on their local computers, but not on a phone or tablet? 

I'm in a bit over my head here so any details would be helpful. Your description above was very helpful, I had no idea!

Annette

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1. No, You will have your emails saved locally as your backup. Some hosts allow export options for emails.

2. This depends on the hosting you have, if you are paying hosting space and emails at the current location as a package then you will be paying for hosting you do not use. If you do want to do this you just point the A-Records to BC.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=business+catalyst+A-records&oq=business+catalyst+A-records&aqs=ch...

3. If your talking multiple people it all depends on device, email setup (imap, pop) etc. If you have an IT guy in the business to run the computers etc you need to be speaking to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines