Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple secure zones in csv client import file

Participant ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I need to potentially allocate multiple secure zones to each client in a csv file for import into BC. I see there is a column for secure zones, and I assume I can put one secure zone per client. How do I add another secure zone for that same client? The live chat support personnel for BC tell me it cannot be done.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Hi Tiff

Thanks for the recent discussions I've scoped your requirements to solve this

We would write a tool so you can use the BC IMPORT file and add an extra column at the end of the spreadsheet that lists what secure zones you want to subscribe the person into (comma separated for multiple).

It'll take us about 4 hours to create that solution. But this only gets us to a point where WE AT PRETTY DIGITAL can upload the data for you.

So next step would be to build a solution that the client can acc

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this suggestion helps or even if it works, but it may be worth testing out (as it worked for us when assigning multiple mailing lists to each client).  Run an import for each secure zone list of clients. If a client belongs to more than one secure zone they will be imported more than once but their CRM record will be updated and hopefully the second, third etc secure zone will be added to their list of secure zones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your suggestion Enjin. Although I do think it's worth a try, I'm wondering if it would be affective in this particular instance. For example, this project has over 40 secure zones, which, if I'm interpreting you correctly, would mean that I would need to set up over 40 different spreadsheets for the admin staff within our organisation (which would then have to be imported separately). The time it would require to do this would be problematic and I'm not sure that management would accept this as a viable solution. Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran a quick test and what I suggested would work if you used the Import Contacts Advanced and at the bottom of that import page selected the secure zone you want to subscribe the import list to.

And yes, you are correct in that you'd have to do 40 imports.

The viability of this would depend on:

1. Is this a one off exercise or not?  If it is then so what if it is a little more grunt-work upfront?
  2. How many client records are we talking about?  If there are thousands then setting secure zones manually is certainly not viable.
  3. What other options are there (as I cannot think of any)?

Having said this, when we did a similar exercise but instead we were assigning clients to multiple mailing lists, setting up separate spreadsheets didn't take that much longer than had we been required to populate a single column as a comma separated list of applicable mailing lists (in your case secure zones).

There was one valuable lesson we learned - and that is, before you do anything I'd recommend to FIRST clean your entire client import file by uploading it as a single list (but assigning the clients to no secure zone) until such time that the import file uploads successfully (because if often take numerous imports to get to the point where there are no import errors).  Then and only then divide the cleaned list into separate spreadsheets.  The reason for doing this is to avoid cleaning 40 lists with the same issues over and over again.

I hope this helps 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I tried it too, and yes it does require 40 imports. 

Unfortunately this would be a regular exercise as more clients joined the program, which unfortunately makes 40 imports a bit cumbersome, although not impossible.

I wonder if there is another way I should be setting up the site. I am developing a website for training. Each course has its own secure area, however clients can purchase any number and/or combination of training courses, and therefore need to have access to various secure zones. Perhaps I'm not going about this the right way. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need different content secured per training course then you'll need different secure zones.

And Yes the Advanced Import tool would need 40 imports to get people into those zones.

UNLESS you had a decent budget and I could build you a custom import tool where we take 1 Spreadsheet where you specify which of the 40 zones you want them in and we we do it ALL in 1 import (not in BC we'd build you a API upload feature) or a BC APP even.

But that goes to budget and it's days work not hours.

I think thats your best option or do the manual 40 uploads

brett@prettydigital.com.au

+612 9212 4485

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Tiff

Thanks for the recent discussions I've scoped your requirements to solve this

We would write a tool so you can use the BC IMPORT file and add an extra column at the end of the spreadsheet that lists what secure zones you want to subscribe the person into (comma separated for multiple).

It'll take us about 4 hours to create that solution. But this only gets us to a point where WE AT PRETTY DIGITAL can upload the data for you.

So next step would be to build a solution that the client can access (probably from within their BC Admin and maybe a BC APP) that will allow THEM (the client) to upload the CSV file whenever they need to use it. You said quite often.

This will take about 4 hours

And we'd add a feature where the client would enter an email address to get the results of the import when it's finished. it'd probably just list anything that failed.

However if the import is big, then the import could run for hours. So what we normally do is create a service that allows your client to import the CSV file and once that completes (20 seconds) the upload starts in the background whilst you continue on with other updates. The client gets an email with the results once the import is finished..

This will take about 4 hours to create a service on the web server that does that. it's optional.

Let me know it that interests you. It'll solve your problems.

I'll email you separately with information on our day rate.

Hope that helps

Brett

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines