• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Invalid Record Type When Adding a CNAME Record

Guide ,
May 24, 2015 May 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a client using Mailchimp to send email marketing. I was asked to add a CNAME Record that looks like this:

k1._domainkey.my-domain.com

Which points to: dkim.mcsv.net

Yet, when I try to add it it tells me "Invalid Record Type". I have read that, depending on the registrar, you cannot add an underscore to a CNAME record. Is this the case with BC or is there some other issue?

Also, when using Mailchimp, do I need to add a record for DKIM?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2016 May 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curious if you ever figured this out? Or did you have to change DNS provider away from business catalyst? Here is a screenshot of Mailchimp's options. Looks like I'll have to switch away from BC if there is no other way...

Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 7.57.31 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2016 Jul 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had the same issue and contacted BC LiveChat to see if any resolution was possible. They confirmed that underscores aren't able to be included in CNAME records.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2016 Oct 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same question and got onto chat support with Adobe BC. Their answer is to add the CName record as a txt record instead.

"I'm afraid, BC doesn't support underscore in CNAME records, you can use a TXT record instead."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added the record as Jaargo suggested, using the TXT for both of them but haven't been able to get it verified under mail chimp yet. The Authentication for the account still with a red X. If anything changes I would let you guys know.

Anybody in here got it to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

v'vmeza - yes, I know - I had the same issue even after the Adobe HelpDesk gave me that resolution (that didn't work).

Adobe really need to up their game with Business Catalyst - lot's of little bugs which users can find very frustrating & annoying.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier about this not working.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I waited 24 hours and still not authenticating. I updated the TTL and see if that makes a difference.

Thank you for your reply.

If i get it to work i would let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can get around it by way of adding a TXT record but the contents for what needs to be set as the parameter values must be supplied by the original vendor to whom you are setting up the CNAME link so it is not merely a case of simply setting the CNAME values within a TXT record.

An example would be setting up CNAME records for DKIM with Freshsales where they provide both CNAME and TXT record definitions. Strangely freshdesk don't provide both record values only CNAME so I have had to approach freshdesk support requesting their assistance (awaiting their response)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dealing with the same issue, hope to have this resolved within the next 24 hours, will update thread as soon as I figure something out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem here is _ (underscore). BC does not allow underscore in CNAME records. Hence you get the "Invalid record error".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Gaurav! Looking forward to getting that feature added to BC.

As an update, my workaround was as follows: The client's site is hosted on a .com address but their email addresses are all using a .net address (setup prior to me getting involved with the company)

I've decided to disassociate the .net domain from BC to edit the CNAME records at GoDaddy (where the domains are registered) to have them validate with the underscores.

I understand that some of the partners above may not have this option available to them, but thought I would mention it just in the case it helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.  I spoke with my BC Partner who sought help from the BC Tech Support Team and they advised that, "It cannot be done".

Advice to resolve the issue is to move your records from the BC site.  I will be moving mine to my Domain Registrar.  Disappointing but I guess, nothing is perfect, not even at BC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if you want to have the custom SSL support on BC you have to have all that in BC, lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so if that's the case then is there a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do what you were doing. Just saying. You wont be able to buy HTTPS into BC as it currently stands unless they also make improvements/fixes and changes to how their Domain management works.
They have not said if they are yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Realize I'm late to the party here, but I'm having the same issue. Would like to enable DKIM on my Office 365 email domains, but BC is rejecting the CNAME record due to the underline issue. Please do something about this Adobe! It's very annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi TechNashville, Underscores were not allowed in the CNAMES in Business Catalyst. This has been fixed in the latest release. Please try to create the CNAME now. You can check the latest release information on link below: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2411526 Regards, Gaurav Aggarwal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lynda, Underscores were not allowed in the CNAMES in Business Catalyst. This has been fixed in the latest release. Please try to create the CNAME now. You can check the latest release information on link below: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2411526 Regards, Gaurav Aggarwal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines