• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lens Correction Profile for Canon RF24-240 exhibits edge artifacts.

LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update introduced, and set as default, a version 2 lens correction profile for the Canon RF24-240 lens which causes the Raw image to display incorrectly by showing an area outside that of the matching camera Jpeg which is  blurred and distorted (I have only found this for images shot at zooms of 38mm upwards).  This region can of course be cropped out as it is not part of the intended image.  Reversion to the previous profile removes the problem.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Greetings,

The Max 2021 Photography products updates have been released and include remedies for this topic.  The updates will be rolling out worldwide, October 26 and 27, 2021. If you do not see the updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can refresh the apps to see if the updates are available in your region.  The keyboard shortcut to refresh is [Cmd/Ctrl] + [Opt/Alt] + [ R ]. 

Note: iOS and Android updates may take up to a week to appear in your App Store.

Thank you for your pat

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Thanks for the help.  The problem was caused by the V2 lens profile for the Canon RF24-240.  By using the original version of the profile everything was fine. Doing a mass change was easy in LR.  I selected all the photos taken with the RF24-240 lens, then in develop module with "auto sync" enabled I choose the original lens profile and auto sync updated all the images.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

If using a Canon RF 24-240mm F4 lens, then this is a known issue with the V2 lens profile. The fix, at present, is to use the original lens profile. See attached screenshot.

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 147 Replies 147
147 Comments
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jim Wilde , thanks for the tip! It's not ideal, but will work in a pinch in some cases. Still, it's not possible when you are offline, or have just imported 500 photos and have a lousy hotel wifi as your only connection. With a poor conneciton, the photos you want to fix may not be synced yet to the web. I think I will add this feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import CR3 images both Lightroom Classic and Photoshop show hashed horizontal lines at the edges. They happen in the most colorful areas. Other software can open the images without the edge "hashing." 
I have read some older questions and tried turning off graphic card acceleration to no avail. Converting to DNG changes nothing. 
I ave attached a sample. TimpLeafPeek-4004.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing at all wrong with the photo here on my Firefox. Must be something at your end --??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies. I attached the wrong image. This one shows the problem.Stripe sample2-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops. I grabbed a cropped version. Attached another below.
(Feeling a bit like the world's only living brain donor.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

The lower-right corner shows the problem:

johnrellis_0-1634513132631.png

Is this happening with the Canon RF24-240mm lens?  There is a bug with LR's "v2" lens profile, and the workaround is to switch to using the original lens profile (with no "v2" in its name).  See the bug report for details on doing that:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw-bugs/p-lens-correction-profile-for-canon-rf24-240-exhibits...

Please confirm if indeed this is the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I've never had to deal with this control and I can't find it.

Do you have an instruction link for handling lens profiles? I've searched Help. Lots of discussions, but no blow-by-blow of how I can even find this set of controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put the following screenshot into the linked post in the hope that it would help. Do you not see below panel in Develop module. I also provided a description of the actions required a few posts later in the thread, albeit for Camera raw. Nevertheless, the steps invloved are the same.

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah Ha! You're my hero for the entire day! (so far 🙂 )

I was looking for it in the import function and had too many other tools open in the Develop mode to see that one. (Sigh.)
Perfect fix, albiet a bit of a pest.

Thanks again,

Carl

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advise. I had the same glitch around my pictures with the R6 and RF24-240mm lens The profile reset solved it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

The Max 2021 Photography products updates have been released and include remedies for this topic.  The updates will be rolling out worldwide, October 26 and 27, 2021. If you do not see the updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can refresh the apps to see if the updates are available in your region.  The keyboard shortcut to refresh is [Cmd/Ctrl] + [Opt/Alt] + [ R ]. 

Note: iOS and Android updates may take up to a week to appear in your App Store.

Thank you for your patience.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image attached.

not sure what else to call it but digitized. it is this was on all pictures on R5. lens correction mostly fixes it, but any idea what it is? am i doing anything wrong?

thanks for any info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what should be resolved with LRC11

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"this was on all pictures on R5. lens correction mostly fixes it, but any idea what it is? am i doing anything wrong?"

If you're still seeing this, do the menu command Help > Updates to ensure you're running the latest version of LR (11.0).  If you then still see the artifacts, do Help > System Info and copy/paste the first 10 lines here so we can see the exact version you're running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for the reply. i currently can't upgrade LR b/c of mac operating systems. i use LR on 2 computers and if i upgrade LR, the database does not work on the other computer. at least that is my past experience. does anyone know, is that still the case? thank you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New LrC version 11 is a major upgrade as opposed to an update. As such, Adobe modified the SQL database code to such a point that it needs to upgrade the catalog. This is common at upgrades. When it does this, LrC copy's the catalog, modifies it to work with the new code, saves it as a new catalog. The new catalog will not work with older versions of LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"i currently can't upgrade LR b/c of mac operating systems."

See this post for how to use the original version 1 lens profile to avoid the artifacts on the edge:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw-bugs/p-lens-correction-profile-for-canon-rf24-240-exhibits... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some images from my Canon R6/RF 24-240 appear to have edge artifacts in Lr Classic 11.0 (Windows 10) Library Module but they disappear when you move to the Develop module.  They also disappear when you click in the image or sometimes when you just wait a while!  It looks like straight lines where the color/brightness of a pixel a few 100 pixels in is repeated ("smeared") all the way to the edge, repeated for all other edge pixels.

Unlike similar looking issues with the Aug. release, these are not outside the true image area but inside and on all 4 edges.  I also have an R5 and have not seen the same issues.

Image showing artifacts (heavily cropped)

Screenshot (5).jpg

Image showing resolution of artifacts by clicking in image

Screenshot (6).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jtaylor333 , were these images previously imported to your library (prior to the 11.0 update)? This is exactly what I saw on my images with the original lens profile v2.

I am suspecting that you are seeing previews that were created prior to the update, with the buggy lens profile, and they are being updated as you view and edit the images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide the original raw file for folks to try and troubleshoot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a lens profile applied and if so, what happens if you turn it off?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did have this issue with photos from an R6 with RF 24-240 lens (using Lr Classic, most recent version in all cases, currently 11.1), but they went away when the profile bug was corrected.

Just yesterday I edited a folder that I hadn't been in for a month or two and saw the same artifacts.  Most of them went away after clicking on the image to go to 100% but one did not.  Fortunately, I didn't want that image.

So it seems there are still conditions where this bug surfaces.

Votes

Translate

Translate