• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lens Correction Profile for Canon RF24-240 exhibits edge artifacts.

LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update introduced, and set as default, a version 2 lens correction profile for the Canon RF24-240 lens which causes the Raw image to display incorrectly by showing an area outside that of the matching camera Jpeg which is  blurred and distorted (I have only found this for images shot at zooms of 38mm upwards).  This region can of course be cropped out as it is not part of the intended image.  Reversion to the previous profile removes the problem.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Greetings,

The Max 2021 Photography products updates have been released and include remedies for this topic.  The updates will be rolling out worldwide, October 26 and 27, 2021. If you do not see the updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can refresh the apps to see if the updates are available in your region.  The keyboard shortcut to refresh is [Cmd/Ctrl] + [Opt/Alt] + [ R ]. 

Note: iOS and Android updates may take up to a week to appear in your App Store.

Thank you for your pat

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Thanks for the help.  The problem was caused by the V2 lens profile for the Canon RF24-240.  By using the original version of the profile everything was fine. Doing a mass change was easy in LR.  I selected all the photos taken with the RF24-240 lens, then in develop module with "auto sync" enabled I choose the original lens profile and auto sync updated all the images.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

If using a Canon RF 24-240mm F4 lens, then this is a known issue with the V2 lens profile. The fix, at present, is to use the original lens profile. See attached screenshot.

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 147 Replies 147
147 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having seen other posts about this bug, I can confirm that on my set up, if you untick "Enable Profile Corrections" in the Lens Correction section in Develop then the lines disappear.  Incidentally, I already have to use DxO PureRAW to fix the excessive noise problem with CR3 files, so when are Adobe going to finally fix Lightroom properly for the R5 and RF lenses???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just shot off 20 images on my Canon EOS R5 with RF 24-105mm and imported them into LrC 10.4. I'm not seeing any streaked border (actually any border) on any side of the image in either Library loupe or Develop module.

I'm using macOS 11.5.2 and importing the images via a card reader. The camera firmware is 1.3.1, although I believe the most recent firmware update is 1.4

Edit: I have LrC configured to not apply the lens profiles or CA corrrection on import. Toggling either on/off after import still doesn't produce the issue described.

Can you each confirm which firmware version you're using, the method used to import (i.e. direct camera connection or card reader), and OS (Windows or Mac)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had a response from someone called Ian Lyons, but unable to reply becuase his mailbox was full!!!  This is what I said

Windows 10, latest patches; latest hardware on the camera and lens; and cable connection from camera to PC to copy the files. However, this is NOT a hardware problem ā€“ as many others have reported, it is purely a Lightroom issue. If you view the files in any other application or untick the ā€œEnable Profile Correctionsā€ option under Lens Corrections, then the photo looks normal.

Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See previous comments.  Also as per other posts on the same bug, I can confirm that if I leave the Enable Profile Corrections ticked, but change the lens proifile from "Adobe (Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM) v2" back to "Adobe (Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM)" then the problem is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why you got a mail box is full, especially when it's empty. Nevertheless, unless asked to do otherwise, responses to forum posts should always be submitted to the forum. This esnsures that everyone can benefit from the information.

Getting back to your issue.

Have alook at this thread and check out the bottom right side of second screenshot https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw/canon-rf-24-240mm-f4-6-3-is-usm-lens-profile-problem/td-p/...

If this is the issue you're seeing, then it's due to a corrupt or malformed lens profile. That being said, it appears to be specific to the V2 profile rather than the original. You could try using the original profile (see screenshot) until a fix is released. Unfortunately, that could be a 2 to 3 months away as 10.4 was released only two weeks back and release cyle is usually 2-3 months.

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ian

Thanks for the prompt replies.  I can confirm that this fix is working for me.

Regards

Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you are working with raw files, then choose a Canon CR3 file  the uses the RF 24-240mm lens, then switch to the Optics panel.

Next, choose the lens make from the 'Make' drop-down menu, then choose the lens model from the 'Model' drop-down menu, the 'Profile' field should now be automatically populated with the lens profile. However, in this particular instance you need to change the profile to the original profile rather than the marked as V2. The last step is to select the drop-down menu adjacent to 'Setup', then choose 'Save New Lens Profile Defaults' (see second screenshot). The lens profile should now be the default for the lens.

Edited post for Camera raw Optics panel

Untitled-2.png

Untitled-3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made just like Ian Lyons wrote. After that Photoshop, Camera Raw and Bridge shows pictures whihout any problems.

Same procedure works also in LRc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ian Lyons wrote:

The last step is to select the drop-down menu adjacent to 'Setup', then choose 'Save New Lens Profile Defaults' (see second screenshot). The lens profile should now be the default for the lens.

Many thanks Ian, it was this last step I was missing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi GoldingD,

Yes since the latest update of Lr Classic to version 10.4.  From other posts I believe it is an issue with Adobe's update to the Canon RF 24-240mm F 4-6.3 IS USM profile to v2. When I change back to the original profile in the Lens Correction tab all good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ian,

Appreciate your prompt response.  You are correct, I am shooting with the R5 and the RF 24-240 lens so as soon as I changed the lens profile back to the original from the v2 the border disappeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian,

Thanks for the workaround tip in the other thread.  Buy changing the default to the previous profile we have a "transparent" workaround where we don't need to add an extra step to our regular workflow, but simply do this one-time setup.  We just need to remember to revisit this when the next LrC update comes along.

As an FYI, here was my experience, with as much detail as I can recall:

I had the same issue on my system.  I discovered it yesterday.  I was using the Canon EOS RP with the RF 24-240mm, both with the latest firmware:

EOS RP: FW 1.6.0

RF 24-240mm : FW 1.0.6

I made the import from an SD card.  In the same import, I also had some images with the Sigma 150-600mm C.  The 150-600mm had no issues, the 24-240mm had the problems with the border.  Odd.  If anything I would expect an adapted third-party less to experience issues and not the native RF canon lens.  I had jpegs as well and they were fine.  I was able to open the .CR3 files in Canon's Digital Photo Professional with no issues.

I then tested the RP with a few more lenses: RF 35mm f/1.8, RF 50mm f/1.8, RF 24-105 f/4 and Sigma 135mm f/1.8.  None of the lenses exhibited any issue.   

The next step I took was to use the R5 (FW 1.4.0) with the 24-240mm (FW 1.0.6).  This time the import was from a CFExpress card.  Again the same issue, though the distortion on the borders was less pronounced.  No other lenses on the R5 (my main camera) have issues as I use it very frequently.   

I know I had successfully shot with the RP + 24-240mm combo a couple of weeks ago.  I did not update any FW, so it must have been an LrC update.  Since it was specific to this lens, I went to check the lens profile correction (which I automatically apply during import).  I toggled it off and sure enough the issues in the borders disappeared.  However, I was then left with the lens distortion :(.   I kept examining and when I clicked on the profile drop down, I noticed that I was using the v2 lens profile and there was a "unversioned" (we might call it v1) option.  I switched ot that one and voila!  All was good.

Next step was to figure out how this happened.  Did I somehow corrept the profile generating this v2 or was this an updated profile for a new FW vesion for the lens.  My biggest concern is that I was somehow corrupting my system and this might start happening with other lens profiles.  I checked lens FW version and it was the latest, released in the summer of last year, so that wasn't it.  So I either generated a corrupted version of the profile, perhaps through one of my plugins or it was something wrong with the latest LrC update.   

I went searching the web and found this and the other thread you mentioned above, so I know it isn't something specific to my system/setup and most likely some issue with the latest LrC update.

I'm still not clear if Adobe release an updated version of the lens profile to improve performance, but ended up having a bug in it or if the v2 profile was automatically system generated because of some issue during the LrC update process.  Or something else. 

At any rate, the workaround seems to completely solve the problem for now, and the issue seems to be isolated to this one lens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In RAW photos from Canon 24-200 (with EOS R) you can see artifacts around (when the lens profile is turned on). When the profile is not enabled, the artifacts are gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same behaviorn happened to me yesterday: Apple MacBook Pro M1, Lightroom Classis 10.4, Canon R6. During import LR applies provile v2 and the problem apperas, I changed to "no profile version", synced on all images and everything is ok

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 24-240 mm Canon lens, which needs considerable optical correction. Camera Raw has the profile, but applying it causes streaks at the edge of the frame. This first screenshot is the top right corner of the image before profile correction:

Before.jpg

ā€ƒAfter profile correction, streaks can be seen.

After.jpg

ā€ƒThe odd thing is that I have had the lens for some time, but I don't recall seeing these streaks until recently. I can, of course, simply crop the edge of the frame, but is this a problem with the lens or with Camera Raw (13.4.0.872)? Or have I inadvertently altered a setting? (Using Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6; Bridge 11.1.1.185)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I have "artifacts in Lightroom Classic on imported raw photos. They appear as a "frame" of lines  - see example on a photo imported into LR compared with the photo when viewed from the computor drive catalogue. Why and how to fix this bug? 

LR version 10.4   Camera Raw 13.4

ernstn69979152_0-1631094985742.png

ernstn69979152_1-1631095024523.png

/ ERNST

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "artifacts" are not present on previously imported photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved your post to the appropriate forum.

I think I have seen this reported before. It had something to do with a v2 profile, if I remember correctly.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Johan - hope to get som ideas from the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to open a photo file directly (not via LR) also in PS - the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If using a Canon RF 24-240mm F4 lens, then this is a known issue with the V2 lens profile. The fix, at present, is to use the original lens profile. See attached screenshot.

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ian regarding your suggestion on changing the lens profile to the original one. Seems to help. ā¤ļø šŸ™‚

BR / ERNST

Votes

Translate

Translate