• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lens Correction Profile for Canon RF24-240 exhibits edge artifacts.

LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update introduced, and set as default, a version 2 lens correction profile for the Canon RF24-240 lens which causes the Raw image to display incorrectly by showing an area outside that of the matching camera Jpeg which is  blurred and distorted (I have only found this for images shot at zooms of 38mm upwards).  This region can of course be cropped out as it is not part of the intended image.  Reversion to the previous profile removes the problem.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Greetings,

The Max 2021 Photography products updates have been released and include remedies for this topic.  The updates will be rolling out worldwide, October 26 and 27, 2021. If you do not see the updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can refresh the apps to see if the updates are available in your region.  The keyboard shortcut to refresh is [Cmd/Ctrl] + [Opt/Alt] + [ R ]. 

Note: iOS and Android updates may take up to a week to appear in your App Store.

Thank you for your pat

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Thanks for the help.  The problem was caused by the V2 lens profile for the Canon RF24-240.  By using the original version of the profile everything was fine. Doing a mass change was easy in LR.  I selected all the photos taken with the RF24-240 lens, then in develop module with "auto sync" enabled I choose the original lens profile and auto sync updated all the images.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

If using a Canon RF 24-240mm F4 lens, then this is a known issue with the V2 lens profile. The fix, at present, is to use the original lens profile. See attached screenshot.

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 147 Replies 147
147 Comments
Participant ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the most recent updated versions of LR ( ver. 10.4) and PS (ver 22.5.0).  Yesterday's update has caused some weird artifacts on the edges of all my photos.  

System is MacOs version Big Sur 11.5

Macbook Pro 2019 16" 

Camera: Cannon EOS R6

I have uploaded photos to Affinity and Digital Photo Pro 4 and the artifacts don't appear.   They appear in both PS and LR and are present on all my lenses and throughout the range of each lens.  Rarely seen in the sky portion of the photo but always seen in the bottom and both sides.   Attached is a cropped version of the left and bottom side of a photo.  Oddly enough, it does not happen if I shoot JPEG, just RAW files.  I am now having to crop a considerable bit off the sides and bottom of all my photos.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wanted to add additional information.  I uploaded two photos from my husband's Pentax and the lines don't show up there.  Could it be something to do with Cannon CR3 files?  I have had no problem until the latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Do both cameras use SD cards?
  • Are you importing from the two SD cards in the same method?
  • Are you using a card reader?
  • Same card reader?
  • I do not recommend taking out the SD card in the Pentax, and using it in the Canon, but, do you have another SD card to try in the Canon?

getting at a SD card problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

edges of all my photos. 

Oh, read twice, reply once, my bad

So, photos imported before the LrC update, RAW files, they are broken as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of us will not download and open file attachments; please include your screen capture in your reply by clicking onthe "Insert Photos" icon.

From your verbal description, this sounds like a corrupted file, which can happen because of a hardware malfunction somewhere. If  I am understanding the symptoms properly (but really, show us the screen capture) you need to run diagnostics on your hardware (every hardware that touches the file: camera card, card reader or USB cable, hard disk and computer memory). If possible, import the photos using entirely different hardware.

When other software shows the file properly, that is irrelevant as most other software general uses a JPG preview embedded in the RAW file. Lightroom Classic shows you the RAW image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_3136.jpg

Here is the crop of one of the photos.  Hopefully you can see the lines on the bottom and left side.  I have eliminated corrupt files and corrupt SD cards.  I will not go through the steps I took but you will just have to trust me that the problem is with Adobe.   I went back and uploaded some files that I took pre-update and they are now showing the lines too.  Went back and looked at all my settings and found that if I uncheck "enable profile corrections" it will remove the lines but crops the photo.  If the photo doesn't have lines (seems to be alright at 24 mm focal length) and I uncheck the box, it leaves a really horrible vignette on all corners.  I appreciate your thinking it may be a hardware problem but I am really doubtful as I have had no problem prior to the latest update.  I have and use two different SD cards and that makes no difference.  Thanking you all for trying to help.  It is certainly a frustrating problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will not go through the steps I took but you will just have to trust me that the problem is with Adobe.

It's always hardware. This isn't caused by Lightroom Classic because it NEVER writes to the image portion of your original files. That's a fundamental design feature here, and there is no feature in the Lightroom Classic software that can write to the image portion of your files, so the software cannot cause this.

No one is going to force you to check your hardware. I wish you well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks dj, I will try to check the hardware as you suggest and see what I can find.  You don't feel that it could be an adobe profile for the camera that may have gone wrong then?  I really appreciate the help.

Susan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 9.44.20 AM.png

OK, I have tested all the hardware I could and no problems were found.  However, I have found something interesting.  Under lens  profiles two profile versions are listed for the same lens.  V.2 is the one that comes up automatically when I upload photos.   If I use the other version none of the lines appear nor does the vignetting show up.  Is there a way to disable v.2 so it doesn't automatically affect my photos?  Another interesting problem, today I took five photos, same camera, same lens, same settings.  The last photo incorrectly identified the lens as an EF mount and the actual lens is not showing up in the dropdown box.  These problems have to be associated with the lens profile in LR don't you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera: Cannon EOS R6

and

GoldingD_0-1629475976813.png

So a mirrorless camera, and forcing a lens correction. I assume when you first look at the lens correction panel you see  that in-camera lens profile was applied, and Auto was not available, and you went and selected Canon, then the one lens that showed up. Likely wrong thing to do.

Try without that lens correction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not how it happened.  When I first downloaded the file, it automatically applied the lens correction, chose Canon and the lens and the profile v.2.

I hope I am making myself clear as my husband says I almost always never do.  šŸ™‚

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you could save out a DNG and upload, we could examine the document to see if indeed, it is in the data or on your end. 

Did you try disabling GPU in preferences? That sometimes fixes odd redraws but this looks more like a corrupted raw. The only way to know for sure is to share the document so others can examine it. 

Author ā€œColor Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in preferences the presets tab, for the RAW Defaults, what is  selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In preferences I originally had global set to adobe default, camera was set to canon eos r6, default was set to preset which I had set up to remove sharpening.   That's it.  It has been set that way since forever.  I have now set global to camera settings, camera remains the same, default is camera settings and my preset now removes sharpening and uses the profile for the camera which is NOT labeled v.2.  This seems to be working for now.

I appreciate your helping with this.  

Susan

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, before, Adobe Default was in use, the part about camera had no effect, Profile in use would have been Standard.

Now, you have set it up to use camera, Currious as to exactly what profile?

Perhaps a screenshot?

The Adobe Standard profile comes in various copy's and versions, often camera specific, it is an area where Adobe has had issues with some cameras, hence v2, etc. Sometimes the workaround is to not use Standard.

But not sure exactly why the profile used would cause banding, magenta tint, over/under exposure, tone issues, yep.

However, I have a suspicion that the setting for raw defaults is involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My files are shot in CR3, not DNG.  Here is where I am at so far.  Hopefully everyone remembers that all the photos I took the day before the upgrade turned out with no problems until the day after the update.  I knew they had no problems at the time of upload so I decided to download them again to see what happened and all but two had the lines on the sides.

So, today I disabled GPU as you suggested and I also turned off the my preset which disabled the lens corrections.  I then uploaded today's photos.  No lines until I turned on lens correction and chose v.2 under profile.  It has to have something to do with profile under lens correction otherwise why would all new uploads and old uploads have the same problem especially when the old uploads were fine prior to the upgrade.  Why are there two profile versions for the same lens?  Something is going on and I just wish I knew what.

This forum does not support uploading CR3 or DNG so I won't be able to post a file.

Thanks again for your help.  Susan

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@susanl7866380 wrote:

My files are shot in CR3, not DNG.  .

The reason I suggested converting your CR3 to DNG is it bakes all the edits, profiles and settings into that with the raw. That way, we can observe everything you've done. You cannot upload a DNG directly but you could put it into something like DropBox or similar, a public upload so we could then download it and view it just as you did with all your edits. 

I don't know why you see two profiles for the same lens and again, if we had that DNG, would could see if two show up or not. Just do an Export as DNG in LR from the CR3 with all the edits. 

Author ā€œColor Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so sorry and now feel terribly stupid.  I know nothing about dropbox or public uploading.  My age is great and my brain has gotten smaller with it.  I don't do twitter or instagram either.  Thank you anyway.  I will just have to keep digging away at the problem until something either crashes or an update fixes things.

Susan

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are on a Mac, you can share with us using iCloud:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210910#web

Share a folder with the DNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm this behavior with LrC 10.4 and ACR 13.4 on my Windows 10 system using the v2 lens profile. The original (v1) lens profile does not exhibit the issue.

CanonRF24240mmv2LensProfileIss-46ae6d81-cd03-4ca3-8f3c-19554c5617d6-302261089.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see it also... M1 MacBook Air.  THANK YOU for posting this.  I'm about to leave on a long trip covering an event where I will rely very heavily on this camera/lens combo.  Glad I'm learning about this now rather than after importing hundreds of images the first day.  I would have been in major panic mode.  No big deal now that I know what it is and how to correct it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks,

Which Canon body(ies) are you seeing this behavior with?

Thank you.

- Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

R5 for me.  I'll test later on an R and post if that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My screenshot is with an EOS RP body.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After latest Adobe updates Canon RF 24-240mm f4-6.3 IS USM lens profile works wrong.

There is in Camera Raw now two profiles for this lens and profile "Canon RF 24-240mm f4-6.3 IS USM v2" brings

pictures outer bordes some distortion. Profile whithout v2 works fine. It seem to be so that v2 is default profile and it affects also in Bridge.

Is there coming fix for this problem or can profile whihout v2 install to a default or remove v2-ending?

I am using Canon RP body with latest firmware.

Brg Aki

Votes

Translate

Translate