Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: LR lens profile does not correct vignetting for Leica M lenses

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I'm a long time LR classic user but a recent Leica M shooter. Until now, I was used to correcting my lenses (mainly Sony) through the lens correction tab, adjusting the Adobe provided lense profile, and especially the vignetting slider.

To my surprise, when LR detects a Leica M lens in the  EXIF data (in my case a 35/2, a 18/3.8, or a 90/2.8) it loads the correct Adobe lens profile (yeah) but the vignetting slider becomes greyed out, the vignetting is not corrected, and I cannot adjust it. I need to switch to a manual lens profile - and loose all the pre-configured corrections - if I want to adjust vignetting (which is quite significant on the 35 and 18).

Does anybody know:

- If LR is working as expected in this case?

- Why does not Adobe proposes vignetting correction for Leica M lenses?

- If there is a workaround for this behaviour?

Thank you in advance for your wisdom.

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Checked with the CR Team - This is a known Issue with no fix at this time.  This thread will be updated when information is available.

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
14 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vignetting correction is being corrected in-camera to the raw data (i.e. Lens Profile Vignetting disabled).

https://openphotographyforums.com/forums/threads/lens-corrections-in-leica-raw-dng-files.19907/

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an M10R

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the link Todd.

That would indeed make a lot of sense. Unfortunately, my M10R still output pictures (DNG or JPEG) with a failry large amount of vignetting (I would say 1 to 2 stops) despite this supposed in camera vignetting correction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need to turn on 'Shading Correction' in your camera's settings menu.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/307004-m10m-shading-correction/

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Argh ... unfortunately, the M10R (and maybe also the M10) does not have this option anymore ... making in doubtful they still correct vignetting in camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears to be an undocuemented function of the 'Auto Lens Detection' setting. Do you have that setting and is it turned on?

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/307004-m10m-shading-correction/

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have this turned on. I did some test with it and indeed, when I turn it off, the vignetting gets worse. So, YES, there is in camera vignetting correction through the lens detection feature, but NO, it's not fully correcting the lens vignetting, especially at low aperture when it's the most visible. That's a pity than Adobe lens profile don't allow for further correction...

Thanks for your help Todd!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe may be monitoring that setting and disable the Lens Profile Vignetting correction if it's enabled. Check one of the raw files shot with Auto Lens Detection' turned off. See if Vignetting is no longer grayed out and accesable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried it and even w/o lens detection and manually selection the right lens in LR, the vignetting slider is still greyed out. As is Adobe did not buid any vignetting correction into their profile for Leica M lenses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As is Adobe did not buid any vignetting correction into their profile for Leica M lenses.

By @Gael Gibert

That appears to be the case. Your other options are to create a preset for each F stop setting using the Lens Corrections Manual Vignetting controls or use the Lens Profile Creator (see link below). Above F8 the vignetting may not change much so you may only need one preset for that range. The preset approach isn't a very elegant solution since you need to create a set of presets for each lens and apply them manually by as shot aperture. The Lens Profile Creator is a better solution, but IMHO a lot of work! Adobe used to have a Lens Profile Downloader that users could upload their profiles to for sharing with others. Sadly Adobe no longer supports it. You might try psoting in some of the Leica forums to see if anyone has profiles they created.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/digital-negative.html#Adobe_Lens_Profile_Creator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checked with the CR Team - This is a known Issue with no fix at this time.  This thread will be updated when information is available.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rikk. I'm guessing the issue is that LrC and ACR Lens Profile Corrections can't correct color shading. Given that this is unique to older film camera lenses when used on a digital camera it's not likely to be implemented. Just trying to establish expectations for Gael. That appears to be what is corrected in-camera with the Leica M series, which leaves some residual vignetting. Best solution for now is to leave the in-camera correction turned on and use the Lens Profile Creator or Manual Vigneting correction with presets to correct it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same problem with Huawei P30 Pro Rear Wide Camera.

IMG_20230916_135338.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate