• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ACR 12.4 - crop tool issues

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already updated my ACR to the latest version (12.4.0.555) but the crop tool issue remains. It's almost impossible to use, so slow to move the tool. Btw, i'm using macOS High Sierra.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have been having unbearable issues with the crop tool, but as my
laptop had been playing up wasn't sure if it was the software or my pc
etc... I can't understand why they seem to be deliberately making it more
impossible to use!!?!
I had a previous version 1 or 2 updates back that worked brilliantly but if
this keeps up I'll be seriously considering cancelling my subscription 🙄

www.michpixlondon.co.uk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Crop uses the GPU (more), with a robust GPU, it's super fast. It could be a bug with your GPU too, so disable and see if that's better or not. 

On my end, under Catalina, the Crop is buttery smooth, but then I have a very new and powerful GPU: Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my MBP (2011) the GPU acceleration is disable to use ACR. Until this 'new version' of ACR was very smooth, but now is almost impossible to use the crop tool. I really hope they can fix it ASAP or i have to move to another RAW processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 2011, an eon in software, LR was a different product using differing ways to work quickly. More and more functionality is moving to the GPU because when you have a 'modern one', it's massively faster. So if anything, more of your work with GPU off is going to be slow. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From all I have been able to determine, the crop tool has been optimized to function extremely well IF you have an up-to-date fully supported modern graphics processor in your computer. If you don't have that, and you can't update the driver, then the crop tool is what it is, functions as it does, and isn't going to change. The solution is to upgrade your system to comply with current expected performance standards. The old stuff that seems to have been good enough ISN'T good enough anymore. If we want optimal performance then we need to make our computers comply. Users are always asking to make things faster and more efficient. To accommodate these requests  Adobe implements new technology. As users, we can't just keep using the same old technology that we have been using (perhaps for the last five years or more) and expect to benefit from the latest innovations in the software. If we want all the latest benefits from the software then we need the latest innovations the hardware has to offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, you are 100% correct. People will swap their car because their 6 month old wreck doesn't have the latest whatever it is, but upgrade their GPU? - no chance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new crop is not even slow, but catastrophic!

I was waiting for the next update. 12.4 appeared, but no improvement.

I don't understand why it is impossible to make it fast in ACR without the GPU if it is possible in Photoshop. There was a bug in the previous Photoshop version . Free framing was impossible without acrobatics - they managed, they fixed it! 

Let's wait 12.5 ))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed. Thanks God I'm not the only one who thinks it can be a bug. I understand new apps requires better computers but not in this case that everything works on ACR and only the crop tool doesnt work as should be. Btw, if my computer/GPU didnt have the required specifications I couldnt install ACR on it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Btw, if my computer/GPU didnt have the required specifications I couldnt install ACR on it. 

I don't know what gives you that idea. Or that because you see sluggish behvaior, everyone else does hence it's an actual ACR bug. Might be, only those with the code base and hardware can know, NO ONE posting here in a user to user forum fits that description. 

IF you are so certain it's a bug, file a bug report with all the details. That is the only way you might find a solution to your specific problem. 

https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I said it can be a bug and many other people said they had the same problem. I'm not a tech guy to report it as a bug. I'm just sharing here my experiences with this issue in a app that everyone who is subscribited to Creative Cloud expect to use as it should be and waiting for a Adobe response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Again: this is a user to user support forum and no one here can fix a bug. If it's a bug. Some could report the issue to people who can. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines