• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Camera Raw Update: Workflow Killer

Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought a Canon R6 which uses .CR3 files, so I had to update to the latest version of Camera Raw. I wish I could go back. It has atleast tripled by editing workflow time! Here are the things that are absolutely wrong with it. I've spoken to Adobe techs about all of these things (some of whom were a lot more informed about the program and proficient than others.)

Crop Tool

1) The crop tool is now reversed so instead of moving the crop box around you move the photo around. I'm starting to get used to it, but it still sucks. 

2) There is no longer a grid overlay on the crop tool. I was tool by and Adobe tech that I could apply the grid to the image, then go into crop (with no grid), eyeball it, and then check the grid. Solid workflow, Adobe.

Brushes/Spot Removal Tool

1) Brushes no longer retain their settings when switching to a new image. When I'm using 5 or 6 different brushes with various different settings each and I want to use them on multiple images, I have to recreate each one.

2) Whenever I zoom in and use the spot removal tool, I can no longer move around the image. I have to switch back to zoom mode, move the screen around, and then go back to the spot removal tool.

Editing Tabs

1) Editing tabs are no long along the top. Instead they're in a column on the right situated in such a way that you can only see one at a time and have to scroll to find the one you're looking for.

Thumbnails

1) Thumbnails now have download and and option buttons that appear when the mouse hovers over them which are easily accidentally clicked, causing a new window to pop up.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more for the crop tool: when you crop the image, it stays the size of the crop, and doesn't go back to full screen. Way to go, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brushes DO retain their settings if you uncheck the box which automatically resets them. This has been asked many times in this forum and the solution is well documented. Perhaps a search of this forum would address your concerns before you jump to conclusions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that helpful (if not slightly rude and condescending) answer. I spent two hours talking with Adobe technicians about that specific issue and they couldn't point me toward the answer. I would love to hear your answers to the multiple other points I made. But seriously, if you can help with any of those it would be great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Helpful, if I can be-

Crop Tool

2) Grid Overlay (in the Crop View) is toggled by keyboard [V]  Cycle the overlays [ALT+V]. [Right-click] over the image to see overlay options.

Preset the Grid 'Size' in Edit View [E] (icon in lower right. Slider above image) before selecting Crop tool [C]

Brushes

1) Create Brush Presets (5, 6 or more!)- Click the three dots [...] [New Local Correction Preset]. Available from the [...] menu.

Use keyboard [K] to quickly Close and Reopen the Brush tool- select a Brush Preset to change.

2) Zoomed with the Spot Tool-  Hold down the [Spacebar] and drag the mouse holding [left button]

Editing Tabs (do you mean 'Panels'?)

1) Keyboard [E] quickly changes to Editing panels (from a Tool)

[Right-Click] on a Panel header for options. [Single Panel Mode] will only show one panel open and reduces scrolling- click another header to 'open' it.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey that actually helped a lot! I'm still not sold on the update, but I can probably get by now. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, just wondering if you know how to make the crop tool not laggy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, no answer to "laggy" (with my level of knowledge). My Windows install is 'fast' in Crop tool of ACR.

Have you updated Photoshop to 20.0.1

and ACR to- 13.0.2.644

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines