• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatization of CameraRaw plug-in (macOS)

Advocate ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our workflow (running under macOS/OSX) requires that a picture is opened in Photoshop using the CameraRaw plug-in.

The current solution is using an AppleScript application (a script is not sufficient), which uses System Events UI scripting to open the file, and then "clicks" on the Open in Photoshop button. This kind of works, but is not really stable.

One issue is that this application needs to be added to the list of applications allowed to control the computer (in the Security & Privacy System Preference, Privacy tab, Accessibility list). This is an action, we do not want to force our users to do whenever there is an update.

By using an installer, it appears to be possible to do an entry into the database containing this list. However, it seems that this database is protected by Apple's SIP. This would still mean a manual interaction by the user.

It would be much more preferable if it were not necessary to have to rely on System Events UI scripting. Is there by chance any chance for a mechanism which would do the same as opening the image via CameraRaw plug-in, not needing System Events UI scripting? The most preferred would use a command line interface.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am probably stepping in way over my head on this one. But Camera Raw is a plug-in for Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. As such, there is no provision for a command line to simply activate Camera Raw separately. You will need to access Camera Raw from Bridge or Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JimHess for the answer.

For the protocol and all the followers of this thread, the reason why I need to open the file using the CameraRaw plug-in is to force ti to create an XMP sidecar file.

The main problem is that the CameraRaw plug-in has no API (neither Applescript nor JavaScript), which forces me to use the System Events kludge.

But I guess you are right, there is nothing to avoid that. However, as you mention the Bridge, this might be worthwhile to have a look at it.

But still, if other options, such as ways to silently use the plug-in, I am grateful for any further input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you open the Camera Raw preferences in Bridge, the first option is to choose whether to write changes to XMP files or to the database. If you choose the option to write changes to XMP files, then that is what Camera Raw will do. That choice only has to be made once. But Camera Raw will still need to be accessed from either Photoshop or Bridge. It is not a standalone program but rather a plug-in. As such, it has to be called from one of those two programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines