Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw 13 is causing hard crashes when GPU accelerated

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I guess I'm not the first one to point out this kind of issues with the latest Camera Raw, but I'm a bit worried -- just built a new computer --, so I'd like to know if I can consider these issues really software-related.

So: as I said, new computer. Specs are: CPU Intel i9-10850k, 32GB DDR4, 480GB SSD for SO and a 2TB HD for storage (not being used at the moment).

My graphics card arrived later, so I used both the integrated GPU from Intel (motherboard is an Asus ROG Strix Z490-F) and the new VGA (an Asus RTX 3080 TUF) -- and had issues on Camera Raw with both. It would freeze the computer with the integrated GPU, which then had to be hard-reset. Now, using the 3080, I had freezes, and lately BSOD.

Problem seems to go away when I disable GPU acceleration at Camera Raw settings. Pretty sure the BSODs are being caused by a GPU driver failure, but the VGA works flawlessly otherwise. I've ran stress tests on CPU, memories and GPU and played a couple of high-demanding games with no issues whatsoever. I have no instabilities on general use either.

So... the only thing causing BSODs in my system right now is Camera Raw. Photoshop seems to run fine, though. It's important to say that I'm not running any kind of overclock, and all drivers and BIOS are up-to-date.

So... CR's fault?

Thanks for any input!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too just built a new PC with i9 10900X CPU on Asus X299-A II motherboard. M2 drives fitted. There is no integrated graphics. Fitted a 1660 Ti GPU with latest Nvidia studio driver. The system works great with ACR, fast and very responsive. So I can't point a finger at hardware or software issues. Is there a studio driver available for your GPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Erik, thanks for the input!

Ok, I'm a little embarassed. I didn't even know there was a "Studio Driver". Only knew the Game Ready ones. From the little bit of reading I did, the GR drivers should work... well, but perhaps there's something to gain by using the Studio ones.

Your post reminded me of something important I left out on my OP: the OS I'm running is the Windows 10 Pro, 64-bits. Here's the thing. Prior to this PC, I was running a rig with Windows 10 Home 64-bits (updated from a Win 7 installation). PC had a somewhat ancient i5 2500k, but the graphics card was a 1060 GTX. ACR was running great on that system, but I'm pretty sure it was a previous version. I was not exactly someone that updated my softwares too much when they were working well...

I'm leaning towards believing ACR is at fault for some other recent posts I read on this forum, before making an account. People seemed to get some stability back by returning to a previous version of ACR -- 12.4 if I recall correctly. And it bugs me that ACR 13.1 caused problems with two different GPUs, so-to-speak, on my system.

The other reports I saw talked about the latest ACR crashing even on Macs... which seemed weird, but something I could relate to. Sorry for asking, but can you confirm you are running ACR 13.1? Can I ask what is your OS, as well? Perhaps I just have an unfortunate combination of factors that many other people have encountered as well. Not sure.

I may give the Studio drivers a shot (there's one, indeed, for my GPU! From Decemebr 15th). But honestly, before going through the process of uninstalling drivers with DDU etc., I'm more willing to try a previous version of ACR. Seems to be the solution for most people with these problems, and... I'd like to keep the Game Ready drivers, if possible.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

My OS is Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 20H2 (Build 19042.685)

All my Adobe software is latest versions.

Personally I would give the studio driver a try first as your system is little different to mine. If you download and install Nvidia Geforce Experience first then keeping graphics drivers up to date is a breeze. It gives you the choice of whether you want GR drivers or Studio drivers too. 

If you downgrade ACR you have to downgrade Bridge and Photoshop too. The consequence is then that you can't get any new updates to either of these rather essential pieces of software without updating ACR too so you are then going back to sqaure one if you want the latest releases!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Erik!

Ok, well... I'm not sure if this is good news, honestly.

I reverted back to version 12.4. Photoshop kept its version -- I just downgraded ACR. And, well... it's a bit early to say, but I managed to edit some pictures with no issues whatsoever. ACR 13.1 was giving me almost instant BSOD. I spent a bit of time on version 12.4, editing 15 RAWs at once, and everything seems to work right.

As I said, it's a bit early to say, but to downgrade ACR really seems to be the solution for now. It's a pity, because I lost some functionality that was "v13" exclusive (the "new" split-toning system comes to my mind), but I can't stress enough how relieved I am for not seeing another BSOD...

Will report back if I encounter any problem with version 12.4, but for now, that's the version I'm keeping. Hopefully this thread can be one more insight about a possible issue with the latest version of ACR. Usually, it's useful to provide as much information about system specs as possible, so just to recap.

System: Intel i9-10850k, stock settings; motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z490-F; memories Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600MHz (4x8GB); SSD NVMe Corsair SP510 480GB; PSU Corsair RM850x; VGA Asus TUF RTX 3080 with latest drivers (Game Ready 460.89 WHQL, December 15th, 2020); OS Windows 10 Pro 64 bits compilation 19042.685.

No overclocks, no temperature issues.

Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, a little correction. SSD is Corsair MP510* 408GB.

I should add as well that XMP profiles are active for the memories (just the normal stuff, so they can run at designated frequency).

Also: system is stable at stress tests on CPU, GPU and memories (AIDA64 tests, Heaven Benchmark). No MemTest86 test was made, though -- didn't feel it was necessary. For the whole time I had this PC, only ACR 13.1 caused BSOD, when hardware acceleration was enabled (even with just "basic" settings). Disabling hardware acceleration solved the issue, at a cost in performance. Ok, that's all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, I said I would report back if I had issues with version 12.4.

Turns out I did, unfortunately. Freeze followed by a BSOD ("CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT", can verify the event viewer if required). It took quite some time, but it did happen. Perhaps relevant infornation: I just installed 12.4 over 13.1, and didn't reset any settings.

Will look into other ways to solve the issue now. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines