Camera raw CLOSED, did I lose the project?

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was editing about 800 photos in camera raw and overnight my computer shut down, consequently, photoshop closed, I tried to open the same files again and they are no longer edited.

Can I recover these files already edited somehow? or at least activate something autosave in case it happens again?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not likely able to recover. A system crash is likely a hardware or low level driver issue.

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry that happened to you. Unless you instructed Camera Raw to export the settings before the computer shut down, the settings you were editing were most likley lost when Photoshop exited. 

If you are working on a large project in the future and need to leave the computer over night or any time you think the computer is at risk of shutting down suddenly (maybe there is a wind storm that could cause a power failure, etc.), you can make Camera Raw export the current settings to disk for photos selected in the Filmstrip with these steps:

1. Select one or more photos in the filmstrip (if you want to save settings for photos other than the current photo).
2. Click on the ••• menu in the toolbar on the right side of the Camera Raw dialog.
3. Select "Export Settings to XMP"

SaveSettingsMenuItem.jpg

If Photoshop quits suddenly after that any edits you made before the export should be saved. Please note that this command executes a one-time export operation; it does not save your settings continiously. I do not recommend using this command frequently; it's not necessary because normally computes don't just frequently shutdown by themselves. That said, it's not a bad idea to use it when you know you'll be stepping away from the screen for a while.

I hope this helps you in the future,
David

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Camera RAW writes out edits when you close it or when you manually Export to XMP. If you are doing a large batch, use that Export command just like you would periodically save. RAW edits are non-destructive and can always be changed so you don't have any risks by doing this.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines