Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw crashes in Photoshop 2021 on macOS BigSur

Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Since i upgraded to Photoshop 2021, i can't use Camera Raw and open raw files...

My computer is an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015),  3,2 GHz Intel Core i5 (32Gb RAM).

System is Big Sur (11.1)

Photoshop runs with no issues but when i open a raw file in Camera Raw, the software freezes. I can't force to quit, i need to reboot.

I already uninstalled, re-installed Photoshop but the problem is still here. Yesterday i erased my HDD and made a clean install of Big Sur then re-installed Photoshop... Same issue.

Thanks for your help.

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Camera Raw. Please try disabling the option to Use Graphics Processor for Camera Raw by going to the Photoshop menu, then Preferences, then Camera Raw preferences, then select Performance. Once done, quit & relaunch Photoshop to check if that helps.

If the issue persists, please go to the System Preferences for your Mac, then Security and Privacy, then select the Privacy tab. Then select Accessibility from the list to the left & check if Photoshop is added to the list with a check mark in front of it. If Photoshop is not a part of the list, please add it by unlocking the window first using the lock at the bottom left, then clicking the + icon & navigating to the Applications folder. Also, grant permissions to Photoshop under Full disk access located in the same list as Accessibility. Once done, restart the Mac & check if it helps.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

I'll try.

Best regards,

Damien

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nikunj, I have done everything that was suggested in all the threads, reinstalled, all the systems preferences, the graphics processor, everything. Photoshop is not crashing any more but the colour wheel keeps on spinning.

Please fix this problem asap, we are loosing a lot of time and work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, deactivated the CP worked for me, on the other hand the workflow is noticeably slowed down.

Hope there will be some updates.

i am currently using Mojave 10.14.6 on a 27 inch iMac

Best regards.
Sébastien

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as Damien. But when I go to preferences for Camera Raw,  it doesn't image correctly and therefore I am unable to click on performance. I've attached a screen shot. 

Additionally, there is no way to unlock the accessability window and add photoshop in the BigSur update in order to add Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Tried both your solutions with no avail.  I'm on a 16" brand new, with Big Sur 11.2.2.

A disaster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, disabling the GP solved the problem on Macbook Pro 2015 (I7 - 16GB RAM - Big Sur). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't turn off GP because I use frames and artboards... so fustracting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two 2015 Macs- MacBook Pro 15" with Radeon R9, and 21" iMac with Intel Iris Pro- and I'm not seeing any issues under Monterey (and both Mojave and Big Sur were fine as well.) There must be something else going on with your computer as this is pretty much the same hardware/software environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I made recent updates, I no longer have this problem. Thanks for your
input anyway.

Très cordialement.
Best regards.

Sébastien GEORGET
PARTY PRO
Graphic A.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good but you are not the OP, are you? Apparently others are still having issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes sorry. I answered without thinking from my office

Très cordialement.
Best regards.

Sébastien GEORGET
PARTY PRO
Graphic A.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Camera Raw forum, from the Photoshop forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Thanks.

I'm on Mojave. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These steps also worked for me, as with 2001bc I'm on Mac OS Mojave.

Thanks,

Harry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting this. I am having the same exact problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

i didn't resolve this issue so i just removed Ph 2021 and re-installed Ph

Best regards,

Damien

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all solutions proposed here with no avail. Re-installed Photoshop 2020 : it even doesn't work anymore with DNG !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is ok with DNG but Photoshop 2020 or 2021 not anymore. I used 2020 even with Big Sur with no problem. After updating to 2021, any PS won't recognize DNG or TIFF. Absurd !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's going on with Camera RAW and Adobe these last few months?  First there was the 13.1 update which caused everyone's Mac to freeze up.  That went unfixed for months while everyone had to downgrade to 12.x  Now they release 13.2 and the release notes don't even mention that it fixes the terminal crashing problem.  While it does seem to fix it, it still has major issues and runs ridiculously slow.

Someone at Adobe needs to go back to the 12.x source code which worked just great and work from that.  Clearly something broke in 13.x that Adobe doesn't know how to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here - have to force-quit several times. Really tough because we rely on ACR for editing many product shots. I may need ot uninstall and downgrade if possible. Sad to see this go out so buggy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same except that I'm running 64 bit Windows 10 with an AMD 8350 Octacore CPU, Radeon FX590 GPU and 32gb of Ram. As soon as I open Camera Raw in any program and select enhance it causes the PC to crash. Disabled GPU in preferences and still the same issue happens. 

This problem with Camera Raw has been going on for over two years and still Adobe has failed to address the issue. There are literally hundreds of posts across various forums both inside and outside the Adobe Community and despite this Adobe have chosen to stick their head in the sand or keep churning out the same scripted  responses over and over again.

Like many others I am paying for a product which does not work.

Adobe if you're listening the choice is quite simple, either fix the issue properly and produce a version of camera raw that actually works or as I am sure you are aware, your company will likely face litigation through the courts. It is illegal to sell a product which is not fit for purpose. That law applies in numerous countries round the world.

Enough is enough - stop taking your customers for a ride and fix this issue now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Related to this but different computer configuration.  I installed Camera Raw version 13.1 on my Windows 10 PC with Adobe Photoshop 2023 for editing Canon 5D EOS raw files and it fixed the crash.  No GPU on this computer, just the integrated graphics card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines