• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw filter producing horizontal bands instead of image

Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2018 May 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the Camera Raw Filter from Adobe Photoshop Version: 19.1.3, running under Windows 10 I am getting coloured horizontal bands instead of my image. I have reproduced this with several other photos and there are always bands instead of pictures (see example below which should show an image of a face). I have no problems when using ACR from Bridge, the problem only occurs with the Camera Raw Filter.

This problem has only occurred in the last few days and, during that time I have installed the new Windows 10 April 2018 update. I have however been unable to find anybody reporting a problem with the filter after installing the Windows update so this could be a red herring, I have tried enabling and disabling the graphics processor  but it made no difference. Has anybody any suggestions?

ACR Stripes.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

OK, I've gone back to basics with this and had another delve. What I didn't spot is that I have 2 Display adaptors and while one is up to date, the other wasn't. I updated that, went through the performance checks again and now the Camera Raw filter is working as intended.

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
May 05, 2018 May 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not able to reproduce.  IMO it's likely to be video driver, latest version installed?  Other settings in the driver?

Richard Southworth

Added by edit - Not sure which preferences you used to disable graphics processor.  The filter running in PS is probably affected by the performance settings in the Photoshop preferences.  Note that there are some advanced options that may affect your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2018 May 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding. Yes, I have the latest video driver installed and the settings looked good. I have no problems using ACR from Bridge, only the Camera Raw filter within Photoshop is giving me problems.

I used the Camera Raw preferences in Photoshop to disable the graphics processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, use the Photoshop preferences to disable/modify the graphics processor in Photoshop.  I believe the Camera Raw Filter inside of Photoshop (not using smart objects) is completely separate from the Camera Raw plug-in function, it just has a similar looking interface.

Richard Southworth

Added by edit - I assumed since your image was a .psd file you are using the Camera Raw Filter function inside of Photoshop, from the Filter menu.  This is completely different than opening the file with ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have the problem when using .psd files with the Camera Raw Filter function inside of Photoshop, from the Filter menu.

I have tried changing the Performance preference for the Graphics Processor, as shown in Ssprengel's screenprint, and the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop:  Preferences / Performance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the screen print. I changed this setting and the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you've turned OFF the Use Graphics Processor in both Camera Raw and Photoshop and you still see the bars in the Camera Raw filter in Photoshop but not if you open images from Bridge into Camera Raw?

Maybe you have a bad memory chip on your motherboard, or something's loose?

If one of these photos is less personal and publically viewable then perhaps upload it to somewhere like dropbox or onedrive or googledrive and others can download and make sure it's working for them and is an issue on your computer, not an actual bug in the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so could you provide a screen print of the entire photoshop window, not just Camera Raw.

Richard Southworth

Added by edit - Would you please provide more system info - memory size, display resolution, display hardware interface, video adapter type, etc.  Obviously we're looking for clues, don't have any real idea as to the problem.  Does the problem occur for every image, or just a subset?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More thoughts - if something is not simply broken (bad memory chip, etc.) than the problem could be your system running out of some resource, such as system memory, video memory, or whatever.  Can you cause the problem by loading up multiple images in Photoshop?  What other programs are running at the same time as Photoshop?  Don't want to be insulting, but have you rebooted?

Are you familiar with Task Manager?  If so, fire it up and see if anything strange is occurring, e.g. a process hogging cpu time or memory, etc.

Richard Southworth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I've gone back to basics with this and had another delve. What I didn't spot is that I have 2 Display adaptors and while one is up to date, the other wasn't. I updated that, went through the performance checks again and now the Camera Raw filter is working as intended.

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you figured it out.

Richard Southworth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem as that you described, which occured after moving my photos to a different external drive. I am not as savvy as you and do not understand how you solved the problem.  What is a display adaptor for example?

Charles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that my problem was triggered by a recent Windows 10 major update which meant that one of my display drivers was no longer able to process the image correctly.  Your problem on the other hand appears to have been caused by moving your files. Are you running Windows 10 and has your machine recently had an update by any chance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I have solved the problem by reducing the size of the ACR widow. Sounds strange but it worked.

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I Tried doing this i think im dooing it the worng way i trie to update all my display adapters but nothingn changed

Help me with steps please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines