• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera RAW profile

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, just a stupid question from a beginner: What are Camera RAW profiles good for? Are they effecting display of photos in LR-library and development mode only or are they used as a preset for the development work flow? Why should I use e.g. Canon EOS R RAW-profile instead of Adobe standard?

Thanks in advance for a quick answer!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera Raw is not capable of reading in-camera settings that you may have applied to your raw images. Consequently, you have a set of Adobe profiles with "Adobe" as part of the name, and you have a set of camera matching profiles that have "Canon" as part of the name of the profile. The profiles with the camera name are supposed to more closely match what the camera would have applied if you had used the camera profiles on the image. It is up to you to decide whether you prefer the Adobe profiles or the Canon profiles. Some cameras do not have the camera matching profiles, they only have the Adobe profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jim, thank you very much for the immediate answer. I do not apply any camera profiles or picture styles neither on my EOS R nor on my 5DMkIII, as I don´t know about the benefit and how to do it. I just take pictures in RAW format. So if I understand you right I should use Adobe standard profile as preset, right? 

Best regards 

Thomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is always some profile used for your raw processing. You can pick those supplied or easily build your own for your specific camera sensor. There are a suite of profiles from Adobe, for many cameras, that attempt to mimic the JPEG rendering you'd get if you shot JPEG and picked a 'Picture Style" on your camera. There is no guarantee it will match as that rendering of JPEG from your camera is proprietary. 

You'll see a preview update as you try different profiles so you can view and pick as you wish. But some profile has to be used. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't a matter of which profiles you "should" use. It's a question of which profiles look better to you. It is a personal choice. Some users seem to feel cheated if they don't have access to the camera matching profiles. I use a Nikon camera and have both the Adobe profiles and the camera matching profiles. I have compared both and maybe it's my old eyes, but I see very little difference between the profiles. I have checked the ones that I like the most and have added them to the Favorites, and it really doesn't matter whether they are Adobe or camera matching. For most of my images I use Adobe Color. But that is MY personal choice. Your preference may differ, and that depends on your camera, your shooting style, and what result you are seeking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jim, for your advice. Up to now Adobe Color was also my favorite choice regarding all the Adobe options. I guess it´s the best allround profile as I have many different photographic areas/themes to cover. And none of the Adobe profiles prevents from development work as most of my images can be improved significantly by manual ajustment. Nevertheless I will try the camera profile in order to get a feeling about the difference. Best regards Thomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I use the Adobe Color profile most often, I don't believe there has been any photo I have taken that hasn't required additional adjustments. The profile is only a starting point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines