• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera RAW

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some images are importing RAW but when I open it up in PS, it is automatically converting it from a CR3 file to a TIFF or JPG. I haven't changed anything...what am I doing wrong or where do I change that setting? I tried my settings in preferences and nothing. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you open a raw image in Photoshop and decide to save that image it must be saved in a format other than a raw image because Photoshop cannot save raw images. So what you are experiencing is exactly what should happen. It cannot be avoided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I explained this incorrectly. I have been shooting raw files for 10 years and never has it converted before even opening into camera raw. It is literally bypassing the raw format and opening in PS as a JPEG or TIFF. I cannot open it in Camera Raw. I'm going to change my importing setup to bridge and see if that corrects it. It does not seem logical to me for it to convert into a JPEG or a tiff without allowing me to edit the image in camera raw and then saving it as a jpeg or tiff or PSD etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are saying when you open a RAW file in Photoshop, a new TIFF or JPEG is automatically created on your drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When ACR renders a raw and then presents it to you in Photoshop, it's not a TIFF or anything yet; it's not be saved. You must save that document. And at this point, you get to pick (TIFF, PSD, JPEG etc). 

ACR can open a TIFF if you set preferences as such. Of course, after you edit it in ACR, it's 'back' in Photoshop proper and if you save it, it's saved as a TIFF. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That certainly puts a different perspective on your problem. You seem to be indicating that the raw file is not opening in camera raw at all, and that Photoshop is opening it as a JPEG or TIF image. Are you certain that camera raw is installed properly on your computer? What version of Photoshop/camera raw are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's what it is doing. It's so strange. I've never had this issue before. This is a brand new MAC Book pro and I have the latest version of Camera Raw and PS installed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally we don't like comments such as "latest version". It's better to go to the About screen in Photoshop and report the version number that is listed on That screen and, if you can get a file open  in camera raw report the version number from the title bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

. . .  Or you can go to the Photoshop>Help>About Plug-ins>Camera Raw  menu and the ACR version will appear in the about screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines