• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom/Camera Raw: I can no longer create a profile for an IR camera with the new profile SDK.

LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a camera converted to super color IR by Life Pixel. The method Life Pixel recommends to create a white balance profile is to export a raw file created with the IR camera as DNG. Next, run the DNG Profile Editor, open the file, click the Color Matrices tab, move the temperature slider all the way to the left, then export the profile for use in LR and ACR. This is necessary because the DNG Profile Editor lets you select a much lower color temperature than the Temperature sliders in LR/ACR.

The DNG Profile Editor has been abandoned by Adobe. It runs on Windows but does not scale on high resolution monitors. I read online that it does not run at all on Mac High Sierra or later.

The new Adobe Profile SDK, which is Adobe's replacement for the DNG Profile Editor, let's us create profiles in ACR. Unfortunately that does not work for those of us with IR cameras because the Temperature slider in ACR does not have the range of the Temperature slider in DNG Profile Editor as stated above.

Yes, the new profiles are XML and can be edited with a text editor but the temperature in DNG Profile Editor has a range of +-100 while the temperature sliders in ACR/LR are in degrees Kelvin. The problem is that the number stored in the new XML profile file appears to have a range of +-100 which as no relation to the color temperature in Kelvin or to the +-100 scale in DNG Profile Editor. So, I can edit the profile but I have no way to know what value to assign to the temperature.

So, what's an IR camera owner to do? If anyone has a solution that works with the new profile format I would love to try it. Thanks.

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
52 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

A couple of items for you:

The DNG Profile Tool is still the preferred tool for this type of work.  The SDK isn't really meant to be a replacement for the DNG Profile Creator.  That said, the tool is under continued development.

It currently works on all versions of Windows 10, though the experience is suboptimal from a display resolution perspective.
It should work on Mac through version 10.14.  I've verified it works through 10.14.6 on my machine. 

I've spoken with the Camera Raw engineering team and they will be working on this in the future. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone I'm trying to find a way of editing infrared DNG files to alter the white ballance before developing in lightroom. I have done this before but since upgrading to Mac IOS 10.15.3 it appears this no longer works any sugestion please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

This seems to be a pretty common issue but I have yet to find a sufficient answer to this. I am editing on a Mac and do not have access to any Windows computer.

The DNG Profile Editor no longer works for me, I cannot adjust in the color matrices. Because of this I no longer am able to create a custom profile to help with infrared white balance. I'm wondering if there is a solution or if someone could just link me to their camera profile for macs. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kyliefitts,

On this page:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/digital-negative.html#resources

You can find a slew of stuff for creating DNG SDK, DNG 1.5.0.0 Specifications, SDK Profiles, DNG Profile Editors (for Mac and PC).  The Adobe Lens Profile Creator and Downloader has not been updated since 1/1/2018 and is no longer available).

Nothing on that page is PC only.

As far as infrared, I am aware* that some cameras have infrared filters that prevent ifrared images from being taken.

* As you can see from this wording, I do not take infrared images so I can supply no extra information on this issue.

Does this help direct you to what you need/want?

Please let me know,

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I download the editor to my Mac only half of the window appears, (the right side with the adjustment tabs). The "window" showing doesn't allow me to import a DNG file and the 'close' or 'full screen' buttons are grayed out, (minimise works) ?? And, the only way to close the window is to "force quit" the software when I've loaded it from Firefox, (if I load/open it from Safari I have to shut down and reboot my whole computer to close the window).

I also have to click the "open anyway" tab in Security & Privacy to open the program.

Anyone else having this problem? I see from these posts that others have had similar issues but resolved them using Firefox and pressing the "open anyway" tab in System Preferences. When I do those things I still only get "half" of the window.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Charles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a Mac (big sur) the DNG profile editor no longer works.

I would like to make a profile for IR super color.  How do I go about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say it 'no longer works' what do you mean?

Won't Install?

Won't launch?

Launches but fails to build a profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is installed, & will launch.  The menu across the top is hard to read its blurred out. No matter what I do the image does not change. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide me a screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent a screen shot through the email that was sent to me. I sent this a day ago I haven't gotten a reply back as to why the DNG profile editor will not work.

I'm not able to paste the screen shot in this post.

I'm also finding info on the internet when I search for a solution that other people are also having trouble with the DNG profile editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know where those screenshots go. It needs to be posted here.  Click the picture icon in the post window to add a photo - rather than attempting to paste. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is the screen shot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've verified with the team that the current DNG Profile tool is yet not compatible with Big Sur. You would need to find an older OS to use the tool until we can get it updated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the team give you a time frame for updating the DNG Profile tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to download this software, but link is broken. Is that any way to download profile editor? I know that is pretty old while it's no alternative now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there's a version here, Download DNG Profile Editor (softsea.com)

and you can download quite a few dng converter versions AND the last (1.04) profile editor from the adobe ftp server (i used username = anonymous and password = password)

the win files are in pub/adobe/dng/win/ and the mac files in pub/adobe/dng/mac/.

kglad_1-1617714784291.png

kglad_5-1617715531123.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, problem is solved with adobe FTP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mark the correct answer so others can find it quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But on Big Sur there are glitches looking like below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, it's old software and obviously not designed to work with big sur.  and like most things apple, the os is not designed to work with older software.

kglad_0-1617738465202.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the DNG profile editor on an older Mac (High Sierra) and created a new profile but Lightroom does not recognize it neither in LR 9.4 (Camera Raw 12.4) nor in LR 10.2 (Camera Raw 13.2).

Question 1: Why would that be? I saved the profile in the right place. 

Question 2: If there was no upgrade of the DNG profile editor since 2012/ 2014, why would Adobe upgrade it now for big sur to run?

Question 3: Or is there another possibility to replace the DNG profile editor with?

Thanks for any help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" I saved the profile in the right place. "  To where did you save it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact same problem: I tried unsuccessfully to download and install DNG profile editor on my Mac (running Big Sur). After trying and failing to download the program from various sites I was finally able to download a version at ftp.adobe.com only to have the security and privacy settings in System Preferences block the installation, with no apparent possibility of a workaround - there used to be a "download anyway" option but that is no more in Big Sur. I have Adobe DNG converter installed on my Mac. Is there a way of using that or of doing something in Lr or Ps as a workaround? Any tips highly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry my answer took so long.

I saved the profile to 

My Mac-Users-User's name-Library-Application Support-Adobe-CameraRaw-CameraProfiles

Is this the wrong place?

Thank you for helping me with this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .dcp file you create should go into the /Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles/ folder 

If it is in that folder it should be recognized by Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Classic and Camera Raw. 

It will appear in the  Profiles section of the Profile Browser in Lightroom Classic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate