• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot apply camera RAW defaults with camera RAW 12.4

Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done some web search, read the tutorials but after lots of trying, camera RAW still refuses to apply the defaults I chose.

I've tried to follow these instructions (and also instructions of a page in English):

https://helpx.adobe.com/de/photoshop/kb/acr-raw-defaults.html

but it doesn't work. More specifically, these are the defaults I would like to apply:

1. Camera RAW applies the camera profile which I have created (for my Olympus camera).

2. Camera RAW sets "Bearbeiten" to automatic.

3. Camera RAW sets "Klarheit" and "Dunst entfernen" both to 10.

4. Camera RAW set "Rauschreduzierung" to 5 and "Rauschreduzierung (Farbe)" to 15.

I opened the "Camera RAW Voreinstellungen (Version 12.4.0.555)" window. There I have set "Master" to "Adobe standard" (also tried setting it to "Kameraeinstellungen", but it didn't help). Then I checked the "Master-Einstellung für bestimmte Kameras überschreiben" box and selected my camera model (also unchecking this box produces no result - I tried both things).

Then I tried setting standard to "Adobe standard" and later to "Kameraeinstellungen". None of these settings would help.

Instead of applying the camera RAW defaults to all RAW images of my camera, when I open a new RAW file, camera RAW simply starts from scratch, instead of applying the settings from 1 to 4 above.

I've tried all possible settings without success. Camera RAW stubbornly refuses to apply my defaults.

This new user interface of camera RAW is a NIGHTMARE. With the previous version it was a mouse click and camera RAW would apply the presets for the specific camera model. With this version it's a complex menu and nothing works.

Can anybody help?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the way I have my defaults set for Camera Raw 12.4. You need to create a preset for each camera that you use. In that preset, set everything That you want to be applied to every image, to be part of your default settings. However, DON'T choose a profile. By not choosing a profile Camera Raw will be able to read whatever profile you set in your camera.

Annotation 2020-09-06 115537.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same settings that you have, but when I open a RAW file Camera RAW doesn't apply any presets.

That is, no matter what I do, Camera RAW opens RAW files with all sliders in the 0 position.

This feature that Camera RAW would apply user customised settings is lost in this camera RAW 12.4 I have installed on my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What adjustments did you make in your preset?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ones I'm listing in my first post (1 to 4):

1. Camera RAW applies the camera profile which I have created (for my Olympus camera).

2. Camera RAW sets "Bearbeiten" to automatic.

3. Camera RAW sets "Klarheit" and "Dunst entfernen" both to 10.

4. Camera RAW set "Rauschreduzierung" to 5 and "Rauschreduzierung (Farbe)" to 15.

But then I also tried not to assign the camera profile as you have suggested. Even that did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this will help you. It's a tutorial on how to set raw defaults in Lightroom Classic. But it's the pattern I used for setting my default settings in Camera Raw as well. You might consider watching it and see if it provides any insight into how you have prepared your presets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGCnR9qEqA4&t=29s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I went through both tutorials, but it didn't help.

Let me explain a bit what I'm trying to do. I have a ColorChecker colour calibration target (the one with the multi-colour squares) and used that to calibrate the camera. I have now a "Olympus E-M1 Mark III.dcp" camera profile file.

I'd like Camera RAW to load that profile every time I open a RAW file of the Olympus E-M1 Mark III. But that seems to be impossible to achieve. Every time Camera RAW chooses the "Adobe Farbe" camera profile (= Adobe colour).

Then, if you try to edit the camera RAW default settings, you can choose things such as natural, vivid, matte profile, various creative modes, different gradation curves, film simulations. Sharpening can be "without", "low", "medium" or "high" (not a numeric value) and so on.

But you cannot set for instance the noise reduction to 5 or the saturation to 12 or some other RAW conversion parameter to some numeric value.

This all was possible with the previous versions of Adobe Camera RAW, but now no more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'd like Camera RAW to load that profile every time I open a RAW file of the Olympus E-M1 Mark III."

What you want is possible and well explained in Laura's tutorial. I'm not sure why you cannot get that profile to be used for that exact camera if setup as she shows. You do know that the camera profiles are camera specific; you can't for example, build a DCP profile for a Canon and have it used with the Olympus and in fact, if you had two different kinds of Olympus cameras, that wouldn't work either. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'd like Camera RAW to load that profile every time I open a RAW file of the Olympus E-M1 Mark III. But that seems to be impossible to achieve."

Then instead of leaving the profile on selected (as illustrated in the video) you would want to choose that specific profile as part of your default settings, along with any other adjustments that you want to be part of your defaults.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, after a lot of trying, almost by coincidence I found a way of doing it:

1. Open a RAW file in Camera RAW.

2. Change the parameters you want to change (in my specific case apply the camera profile I created with the ColorChecker tool, "Klarheit" and "Dunst entfernen" both to 10 and "Rauschreduzierung" to 5 and "Rauschreduzierung (Farbe)" to 15).

3. Then click on the three dots in the column most to the right, and select "Einstellungen speichern" (= save settings). Don't use "Raw-Standardwerte festlegen" (=set RAW defaults).

By doing so, you save an xmp file in the Appdata/Roaming/Adobe/CameraRAW/Settings folder. This file contains the settings of the image you were editing in RAW and has the same name of the image and the suffix .xmp.

4. Then close Camera RAW and in Photoshop go to Beabeiten/Voreinstellungen/Camera RAW, i.e. the Camera RAW presets window of Photoshop.

5. Under RAW standards / Master / Vorgabe wählen / Benutzervorgaben you will find presets with the name of the image you were editing in Camera RAW. If you select a preset, Camera RAW will apply it the next time you open a RAW file in Camera RAW.

Perhaps there is also a way to ensure that RAW files of a different camera use a different preset, but I haven't found out how to do this yet.

In any case, this new system to assign presets is highly confusing. The old system was much simpler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines