Canon 90D CR3 PS 2021

New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for a solution.  I'm a long-time PS end-user, Windows (Windows 10 now). I recently purchased a Canon 90D.  I'm not able to open CR3 files.  I'm also using 13.2 CR. I have no issues opening any other RAW files. The error message is; Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an old camera, and is supported:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Maybe see if the DNG converter pops the same error, indicating maybe there's something wrong with those raws. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/digital-negative.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying to help out.  I sent a CR3 file to a friend, and they had no issue opening it.  I converted a few CR3 files with Adobe's DGN converter, and they opened fine. I can't get Photoshop to open them.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop can't 'open' a raw; Adobe Camera Raw can. I'm not sure why your copy will not if indeed you're running a modern version. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure either that's why I'm here. Technically that's true.  In reality, when I open a CR3 file in PS, it will not open. I never even get to camera raw and the error screen instead.  I'm running the latest version of Adobe Photoshop 22.3.1 20210406.r.122 990be2c x64.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As already noted, it is not possible to open RAW files in Photoshop, only in Camera Raw which is a plugin. I have a 90D too and open CR3 files in Camera Raw directly from Bridge without issue. (Set your Bridge preferences so that Double Click opens RAW files in Camera Raw.)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your offering to help. I've never used Bridge.  Well, I've been opening RAW files in Photoshop for 15 years.   File -> open, click on the RAW file and it opens the Camera RAW dialogue box plugin for post-processing.  I installed Bridge a few minutes ago and have the same issue. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Camera Raw plugin can be hosted by Bridge or by Photoshop. Sounds like you prefer to host by Photoshop. (You shouldn't say you are opening the files in Photoshop as that is a source of confusion.)

Anyway I tried opening  a CR3 file using your Photoshop route and all works perfectly. You say that a friend had no problems opening your files so does this point to a fault in your system? Have you tried reinstalling your Adobe software as a possible solution?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines