• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change back to the previous way of cropping

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how to explain this but prior to the June update when I cropped an image in ACR I would draw a crop box and if I wanted a different crop I could drag the box. After the June update the box stays put and the image moves. How do I go back to the previous behavior?

I've also noticed that selecting the crop tool changes the image view making it much smaller and centering it on the screen. Previous versions just left the image view where you had it. Is it possible to change that behavior back to the previous version?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I would really want to have the possibility back to see the grid when rotating the image. I often have horizon lines in my images and without a grid or at least a horizontal line it's next to impossible to straighten them out. And no, auto adjustment just doesn't cut it.

The new grid with adjustable transparency is great but I don't see it when I most need it. And thus it is completely useless unfortunately.

Addition: I shot too early - found the possibility of overlaying the grid. 

Next thing I have to find out: How to get a free aspect ratio. One used to be able to just grab one of the middle hooks and change just the position of that border (i.e. tapping the top middle hook and move it down to get a panorama-like aspect ratio). Must be somewhere...

Next additon: Found it. So my issues are resolved...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you right-click on the image while the crop tool is engaged, there are options to show the overlay and to choose the overlay style. I'm not trying to sell you on the new interface. I'm just pointing out to you that the overlay CAN be activated, and that includes the grid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i totaly agree, can just about get my head round the changed layout but this new way of cropping is horrible, don't know if its my computer but i can't  get the image to move with the mouse, have to resort to using up/down arrows!!!! so frustraiting, hate it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10 times slower to finish. Especcially with arrow keys you can go to the next photo and you must to move only with the mouse.

You cant make custom size.Not nice workflow similar with LR, previews version much better and most important FASTER!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi anyone find if you can make custom size and save it like the previous version? And if you can use same time crop tool and arrow keys to move to the next photo? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly like the old behvaior, no and it's not possible. Part of the new crop logic is there is always a crop.  IOW, there is no longer have the concept of "no crop", just a "wide open crops" (full frame, full image so to speak).  So the state where the crop is locked to some specific aspect ratio but the image is still not cropped no longer exists.

There's a number of ways to save the crop, depending on what you want. You can do a "Copy Settings" and then "Paste Settings: if you have a number of images selected. This can be done from the filmstrip clicking on the three little dots.

You can also do a "Save Settings" as a Preset and call it up at any time using a similar GUI. If you only wanted the Crop, you'd probably select first "None" then just click on the "Crop" check box, give the preset a name then recall it whenever you wanted it. You can even save this out as XMP to load but a preset is probably better (XMP would be useful for saving across multiple computers). 

With the Preset, you could have just this crop but you could have a crop and any of the other settings built there too as seen below where I have crop and geometry in one preset. 

You could probably save the crop as a new raw default but I don't think I'd go that route. I'd prefer to start without a crop which is how it now works, then paste or set a preset depending on the need, edit that from there if necessary. But that should allow a 'default' though out all photo's. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cropping is teribly broken and Adobe is aware. Its close to unusable on my production system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For the love of your unwholly alliance Adobe, bring back the old way of cropping an image, you know, the one that was customizable, practicall, efficent and actually worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines