• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

default crop

Engaged ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In earlier camera raws, I had the ability to select the crop I wanted 4x3 and it would remain that way whenever I reopened camera raw.  In recent versions, it defaults to the original camera dimensions.  When I load a series of images , I select all, and deselect each one after I have the desired crop and exposure, going down the line.  If I change one to 4x3 and continue and come to a vertical, then it is the default again and I have to re-apply, and then again, when back on horizontal.  And every time I come back to camera raw it is the camera setting default crop dimensions.

Can this custom crop be kept as the default so I don't have to change with every group and batch? It was easy enough before.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Part of the new crop logic is there is always a crop.  IOW, there is no longer have the concept of "no crop", just a "wide open crops" (full frame, full image so to speak).  So the state where the crop is locked to some specific aspect ratio but the image is still not cropped no longer exists.

There's a number of ways to save the crop, depending on what you want. You can do a "Copy Settings" and then "Paste Settings: if you have a number of images selected. This can be done from the filmstrip clicking on the three little dots.
You can also do a "Save Settings" as a Preset and call it up at any time using a similar GUI. If you only wanted the Crop, you'd probably select first "None" then just click on the "Crop" check box, give the preset a name then recall it whenever you wanted it. You can even save this out as XMP to load but a preset is probably better (XMP would be useful for saving across multiple computers). 

With the Preset, you could have just this crop but you could have a crop and any of the other settings built there too as seen below where I have crop and geometry in one preset. 

You could probably save the crop as a new raw default but I don't think I'd go that route. I'd prefer to start without a crop which is how it now works, then paste or set a preset depending on the need, edit that from there if necessary. But that should allow a 'default' though out all photo's. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines