• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom/Camera Raw: I can no longer create a profile for an IR camera with the new profile SDK.

LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a camera converted to super color IR by Life Pixel. The method Life Pixel recommends to create a white balance profile is to export a raw file created with the IR camera as DNG. Next, run the DNG Profile Editor, open the file, click the Color Matrices tab, move the temperature slider all the way to the left, then export the profile for use in LR and ACR. This is necessary because the DNG Profile Editor lets you select a much lower color temperature than the Temperature sliders in LR/ACR.

The DNG Profile Editor has been abandoned by Adobe. It runs on Windows but does not scale on high resolution monitors. I read online that it does not run at all on Mac High Sierra or later.

The new Adobe Profile SDK, which is Adobe's replacement for the DNG Profile Editor, let's us create profiles in ACR. Unfortunately that does not work for those of us with IR cameras because the Temperature slider in ACR does not have the range of the Temperature slider in DNG Profile Editor as stated above.

Yes, the new profiles are XML and can be edited with a text editor but the temperature in DNG Profile Editor has a range of +-100 while the temperature sliders in ACR/LR are in degrees Kelvin. The problem is that the number stored in the new XML profile file appears to have a range of +-100 which as no relation to the color temperature in Kelvin or to the +-100 scale in DNG Profile Editor. So, I can edit the profile but I have no way to know what value to assign to the temperature.

So, what's an IR camera owner to do? If anyone has a solution that works with the new profile format I would love to try it. Thanks.

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
52 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Hi Rikk, I wondered if you had any news about when DNG editor will be updated to work with Mac Big Sur? If not specifically, perhaps you can say whether DNG Editor will eventually be updated or has it been put on the back-burner?

Even a rough ETA would be really helpful. One month? Six months? Ten years? Never?

Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk, 

Any update in the DNG for Big Sur ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wocek,

Did you manage to get this working - I have the same problem.

Just had my camera converted to infra red and no way to reduce the temperature below 2000!!!!

Thanks,

Jimmy

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jimmymc38 wrote:

Just had my camera converted to infra red and no way to reduce the temperature below 2000!!!!

You probably never will and, it really isn't all that necessary considering the numbers (CTT) are a huge range of possible colors. 

LinesOfCCT

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Support Community,
I would like to use the DNG Profile Editor.app on my Mac which is running Big Sur. But when I launch the app the menu bars are not available in the top and I had to use Force Quit to exit the application.

I want to create camera profiles to edit my .NEF Raw Infrared files.

Can the app be updated so it works? Or does another application exist that offers the ability edit IR images. Below you will find a screen capture of the problem.

Here is a link to a tutorial that I am trying to follow. Can this process outlined be replicated in Photoshop? https://kolarivision.com/post-infrared-photo-editing/custom-dng-tutorial-setting-white-balance-infra...

I found a youtube video that explained how to create camera profiles using Photoshop. So I am aware that this can be done.

This is one of the unique steps that I cannot find in Photoshop - "Navigate to the “Color Matrices” tab. Find White Balance Calibration and move the Temperature slider to -100."

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where are you going to get a dng profile editor compatible with big sur?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The menu's don't draw correctly under Big Sur, it is a bug and no idea if or when fixed. But the product still works and it isn't hard to move from menu item to item to get where you need to go. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what I am asking for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also facing the same issue. Did you get it resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, just wanted to follow up on the questions above. Has there been any progress for the DNG profile editor in Big Sur on Mac? Is a new version to be expected or will this just not happen? It would be very helpful to know. I recently had a camera converted to Infrared and have a hard time setting the white balance. Has anyone successfully used the SDK profiles recommended by Adobe for creating a profile to adjust white balance for infrared? I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christianna,

I did manage to get it working on a Windows laptop. But I've found that it
is not needed. The Nikon D810 converted to infra red works fine without any
whitebalance adjustments. I thought I needed to adjust white balance but I
was wrong - I think.

Anyway hope you're enjoying IR - I have not taken many but please see my
website
jimmymcdonnell.ie and also see some IRs on my instagram page.
https://www.instagram.com/jimmycmcdonnell/

Jimmy

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your reply. Loved your images! I had a Nikon D200 converted and I would need to adjust the white balance in postprocessing here. The instructions I come across mentioned the DNG profile editor but this does not work with my Mac operating system Big Sur. I was told by Adobe to use the SDK profiles instead but I am unclear on how to use this specifically for the needs of adjusting white balance for infrared. Has anyone tried this? Will the DNG profile editor be updated for Big Sur? Any advice is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bibas chaudhary

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem. Hopefully Adobe representatives can provide some guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the same behavior with DNG Profile Editor 1.0.4 on Mac OS 14.2.1 / Macbook Pro M2 Max.

It seems to run correctly on my Windows 11.

@Rikk Flohr: Photography, please consider moving to Camera Raw Bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, 

Hope someone can guide me. I recently downloaded Adobe DNG Profile editor app but when run it fails to load correctly and if a file load is attempted it creates an error leaving me with the screens shown. I am just starting to play with Infrared photography hence the need for this tool.

System: Mac OSX

Version: Sonoma (17.2.1)

RAW editor: Adobe camera raw and Lightroom

Side note: the download file contains two files, one appears to be the app itself and a second file named DNG Profile Editor.app.dSYM, I am trying to run the program by double-clicking the first (.app) option.

Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 10.21.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. MacBook Pro 16'' 2019 i9. I hope someone could help. 
Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 7.11.36 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2024 Jan 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNG profile editor hasn't been maintained for many many years (last update was 2012). It hasn't worked on several of the last versions of Mac OS even on intel. It is unlikely unfortunately that Adobe will update it as they haven't done so since 2012. It will still run on windows indeed as others remarked but only since microsoft maintains compatibility with older code for longer, not because Adobe did anything. They haven't updated the windows version either. 

You can use camera raw to create profiles that do the same thing (create special profiles to correct extreme lighting) so recommend you look into that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"You can use camera raw to create profiles that do the same thing (create special profiles to correct extreme lighting) so recommend you look into that. "

Adobe employee Rikk Flohr said in another thread about using the Profile Editor for creating infrared profiles: 

"The DNG Profile Tool is still the preferred tool for this type of work.  The SDK isn't really meant to be a replacement for the DNG Profile Creator.  That said, the tool is under continued development."

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography, please merge with this existing CR Bug and change the title of that thread to "DNG Profiler Editor doesn't run on newer versions of Mac OS",  since that is the predominant topic of the bug:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw-bugs/p-lightroom-camera-raw-i-can-no-longer-create-a-profi... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography, please merge with this existing CR Bug and change the title of that thread to "DNG Profiler Editor doesn't run on newer versions of Mac OS",  since that is the predominant topic of the bug:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw-bugs/p-lightroom-camera-raw-i-can-no-longer-create-a-profi... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate