• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNGs created with ADobe Software crashes Windows 10 Explorer

Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not specific to ACR but rather how Adobe generatres DNGs with ACR in the latest release....

I have noticed that when the DNG converter creates a DNG, Windows Explorer in Windows 10 crashes when you have preview thumbnails turned on which makes me think that the DNG converter software is not embedding a preview properly in the DNG that Windows Explorer can interpret.

I have verified this problem is specific to Adobe's DNG conversion process (either using some function in LightRoom Classic that generates a DNG or using the DNG converter itself).  I have testerd with other DNG converters (like Iridient's X-Transformer for Fuji files and also the Nikon version of their software and there are no issues with thumbnail previews with those DNG files).  So this seems to be a problem with the ADobe DNG converter, with regard to DNGs it creates.  I've also narrowed this down by deleting ONLY the DNGs

A work around for now is to turn off thumbnail previews, but this is not ideal as I prefer to see thumbnails in Windows Explorer for culling photos faster.  Of course using Bridge also works, but I have found Windows Explorer happens quickly. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

You can use the DNG converter without any problems as long as you set the options properly. Having the DNG converter installed wouldn't affect conversion using Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNG files created by the DNG converter or by Lightroom do not cause problems with Windows 10 Explorer on my computer. I don't know if this would make a difference. But have you looked for and installed a DNG codec?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I did a little more digging.  I had played around with the DNG converter's settings and set it to produce a DNG from CR 11.2 or something (not the latest version) so I'm wondering if this caused the problem.  I did later find that DNGs generated by LR don't cause a problem, so I'm wondering if installing DNG converter along side LR/ACR and changing the default DNG version it uses screwed things up.  Removing the DNG converter reverted the system back to th way it was and LR DNGs are readable (without crashing Windows Explorer).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the DNG converter without any problems as long as you set the options properly. Having the DNG converter installed wouldn't affect conversion using Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Yes I confirmed that it doesn't impact LR, but rather the issue with with Windows Explorer trying to display thumbnails.  I may have also interrupted the DNG converter while it was creating the DNG so it wasn't readable by the OS.  Either way, I've narrowed it down to a settings issue within the DNG converter that I must have set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit of a follow-up to this.... I noticed on one machine (running Windows 10, but not with LR or PS installed, but the latest version of ACR) and DNG converter -- works fine.  But that computer is running build 2004 of Windows 10.

The machine that's having the Explorer crashing issue is running Windows 10 Build 21H1.  I even converted some DNGs from the one computer that's running Build 2004 (using DNG converter) and that computer seems fine.  But when I open those same files (the DNGs) on the one running Build 21H1 Windows Explorer crashes, so it's not DNG convert itself, nor the files (as the files can be opened in ACR and other programs that support DNGs as the files themselves are intact).  So it's something with Windows Explorer itself.  There is a workaround I did find (where you can tell Windows not display thumbnails in Icon view) which does prevent it from crashing, but I'm wondering if it's a bug in 21H1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a final update to this issue (had forgotten i posted it here): The issue was a conflict between Adobe DNG Converter and the Nikon NEF codec.  Removing the codec seems to have resolved the issue, in case anyone else runs into this problem again.  The workarounds I mentioned still work, but this was the cause of the issue, which I had verified on two machines so far (and can replicate the issue).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I thank you very much for that answer. I had few Lightroom DNG generated by the Denoise AI function for some Fujifilm raw images. I suspected .. the RAF files. Never had tested the Denoise AI before because of no noise with NEF files 🙂 Immediately after reading your post, removing the Nikon NEF codec no more crash of the Explorer. Again, a mega-big-thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines