• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does the DNG spec support quad bayer type filter pattern?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking to use the DNG SDK to write DNG files from quad bayer RAW image data but I'm not sure if DNG actually supports this bayer pattern.

I have found DNG sample files from cameras which use quad bayer sensors but analysing the DNG/TIFF tags they're not correctly reporting a quad bayer pattern.

Does anyone know if DNG actually properly supports quad bayer?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some more detail would be helpful here - what do you mean by "not correctly reporting a quad bayer pattern"? Quad bayer is just a 16 pixel bayer pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a couple of sample DNGs from the DJI Mavic Air 2 which features a 48mp quad bayer sensor. At 48 megapixels it outputs quad bayer DNG files at ~90mb in size.

Running dng_validate on them does not however reveal them to be a quad bayer sensor:

CFARepeatPatternDim: Rows = 2, Cols = 2
CFAPattern:
    Red      Green
    Green    Blue
CFAPlaneColor: Red Green Blue
CFALayout: Rectangular (or square) layout

I have also checked other quad bayer sensor cameras capable of saving to DNG and they also report a "normal" bayer 2x2 pattern. So I'm trying to determine if the DNG spec actually has a way of specifying a quad bayer pattern.

If it does, great - but then why are all these quad bayer cameras not doing that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is a also the possibility that the sensor/camera internally converts ('remosaics') the quad to the regular 2x2 Bayer pattern before saving to a DNG file which can then be consumed by many existing raw processing SW that doesn't understand anything else but 2x2 Bayer (or X-Trans) as of today. The DNG spec itself of course allows for storing other patterns via the CFARepeatPatternDim tag in theory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines