• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embed metadata in NEF (Camera RAW 12.3)

Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the update to Adobe Camera Raw 12.3 (under MacOS Mojave 10.14.6), the metadata are saved again as xmp-Sidecar. However, I would like to embed them in the NEF files as before.

(my Camera is a Nikon D7200 ... before the Update this worked perfectly)

However, I do not find the attitude!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

No raw converter can write information to a raw file because each manufacturer uses its own proprietary raw format for the different camera models. Up to Camera Raw version 12.2.1 it was possible to save the settings in the Camera Raw database. This option is missing in 12.3. I hope that this will be possible again soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might be wrong, but I don't believe there has ever been the ability to embed metadata in the NEF file. What IS missing, apparently, is the option to save metadata to a database rather than an XMP sidecar file. I have seen this mentioned by other users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm ... then the following should not work: Edit a NEF file in CameraRAW on my Mac at work ... take it home with a USB stick and the settings are still there ... without an XMP file.

... but that has always worked so far

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Camera Raw 12.3, what little bit I use Camera Raw. I'm not proficient with using it, I admit. I access Camera Raw from Bridge. When in Bridge, I see my NEF files, but the XMP files do not display. If I copy a NEF file and paste it to the desktop, for example, and then go to the desktop, the NEF file and the accompanying XMP file are there. I don't know what your workflow is, but as far as I know there is no way to embed metadata in any raw file. If I am wrong I hope someone will correct me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can make the XMP files visible in Adobe Bridge. In the "View" menu mark the option "Show hidden Files".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe treats proprietary raws as read-only hence sidecar files. Convert to DNG, they will happly embed all kinds of metadata in that containter. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Embedding the metadata in a NEF file has worked for me for years! And I would like to keep it the same way. No separate sidecars and no DNG files.
With every major camera raw update, the metadata handling is reset to the basic setting (separate xmp). So far I have always been able to set it up so that it is embedded in my NEFs ... but now I can not longer find this setting option! Even an extensive Google search did nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, no; Adobe has never embedded anything inside a proprietary raw. Maybe another raw converter but not ACR. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/camera-raw-settings.html

When a camera raw image file is processed with Camera Raw, the image settings are stored in one of two places: the Camera Raw database file or a sidecar XMP file. When a DNG file is processed in Camera Raw, the settings are stored in the DNG file itself, but they can be stored in a sidecar XMP file instead. Settings for TIFF and JPEG files are always stored in the file itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What former behavior in Camera Raw can you outline/describe that would verify that Camera Raw stored the settings within the NEF file? I have never encountered that behavior and have been using Camera Raw or Lightroom for more than a decade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No raw converter can write information to a raw file because each manufacturer uses its own proprietary raw format for the different camera models. Up to Camera Raw version 12.2.1 it was possible to save the settings in the Camera Raw database. This option is missing in 12.3. I hope that this will be possible again soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with Marianne-Deiters on this one. There may well be advantages and disadvantages to having a sidecar XMP file, but before the latest upgrade I had a *choice*. I have no choice now. I *chose* to dump external sidecar XMP files many years ago to simplify file tracking. What a PIA it is to be forced back to the old ways. Come on Adobe! My hard drive is now filled with XMP files that I have to manually transport to every new location. Please bring back the old choice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a user to user forum. We are all just other users like yourself. On the main first page of this forum there is a link where you can provide feedback. That link is where you can express your opinion where the developers monitor much more closely. Complaining here is like a street demonstration. A lot of people will read your complaint, but none of us can do a thing about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far it was not clear to me that the image settings can be saved in a camera raw database as an alternative to the xmp file.
It seemed to me that the metadata was embedded because I had obviously read in only superficially.
Good to know! Thanks for all of your feedback.
And that in version 12.3. this option is actually missing, at least confirms that I am not too stupid to find the right attitude 😉
That answers my question.
Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Missing kind of: removed yes.

See: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/user-interface-updates.html

The option to choose Camera Raw database to save image settings is deprecated. Image settings are now stored in XMP sidecar files or within DNGs. You can view the DNG settings under File Handling in Camera Raw Preferences.”

You still MUST save sidecar files for proprietary raws. The old ACR database or now lack has no bearing on this. If you do not want the sidecar you use DNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines