• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I create a monochrome (b+w) profile in ACR?

Engaged ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm stumped.

I'm trying to create black+white custom profiles from a LUT that I exported from Lightroom (via a 3rd party plugin). Using this new LUT, I'm trying to create a custom profile within ACR. The conversion looks fine, but it's clear that my new profile is still a color profile. 

Because ACR and Lightroom both distinguish color profiles from monochrome ones, my question is how do I 'tell' my new profile to be monochrome and not color? Bonus points if you can also tell me how to add my copyright and contact info to the profile, too.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

So for those who are also stumped, I found a work-around. You must start by exporting your LUT with Adobe's monochrome profile first (with your own tweaks to curves, highlights, shadows, other parameters saved with LUTs). Create a new profile in ACR but be sure that the file you're working on (I'm working with RAWs) is set to Adobe Monochrome, first. Camera settings to include should be AdobeRGB1998. The look table should now be set to Adobe Monochrome by default. The LUT to select should be the

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR and ACR's engine is RGB so you'll never get anything but RGB; even when all three values (each pixel) is equal values and thus neutral. There is no 'monochrome' per se, the RGB image can appear neutral but again, it's always RGB. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @TheDigitalDog for the reply...I understand that the engines for both processors are RGB, however, one thing isn't yet clear to me; When creating a preset in ACR, for example, there's an option to "apply auto black and white mix" which is greyed out except when selecting an Adobe-made B+W profile at which point the option is available (not greyed out). 

If the option exists to "apply auto black and white mix" in the first place when creating a new preset, then shouldn't there be a way to create that preset without using one of Adobe's B+W profiles and use one my own instead? I mean, how did Adobe make these monochrome presets work in ACR and Lightroom if the programs are indeed RGB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still looking for an answer to my question here. Simplified, how did Adobe create a Monochrome Profile? I'm looking to do the same when creating B/W profiles of my own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So for those who are also stumped, I found a work-around. You must start by exporting your LUT with Adobe's monochrome profile first (with your own tweaks to curves, highlights, shadows, other parameters saved with LUTs). Create a new profile in ACR but be sure that the file you're working on (I'm working with RAWs) is set to Adobe Monochrome, first. Camera settings to include should be AdobeRGB1998. The look table should now be set to Adobe Monochrome by default. The LUT to select should be the one you just made a few steps ago. The 'space' should be AdobeRGB1998. I set the gamut to 'extend'. I left it at 32 and kept the range from 0-200. Save your profile. 

If all goes according to plan, the next time you open LR, your new profile should be available including the slider in which to increase or decrease the effect (in my experience, this slider sort of works like Multiply blending mode's opacity in Photoshop). 

Enjoy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines