• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I open raw files from my Canon 6D in Photoshop CS5.1?

New Here ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried to open raw files from my Canon 6D in Photoshop CS5.1. An error message appeared: "

Could not complete your request because the file appears to be from a camera model which is not supported by the installed version of Camera Raw.

Please visit the Camera Raw help documentation for additional information." Is there a simple solution?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot, nor will you ever be able to open your Canon raw files directly in CS5.1.  Your camera model requires at least ACR 7.3 which only works with CS6, or Lightroom 4.3.  There will be no further updates for CS 5.1 ever.

Your choices are (1) to upgrade to CS6, or (2) to download the latest version of the Adobe DNG Converter, currently 7.4, and convert your Canon raw files to raw DNG files that you can then open in your CS5.1.

You should also know that the rendering in ACR 7.4 is far superior tou the raw conversion in ACR 6.x, so you would be leaving a lot of image quality on the table if you go the (free) DNG Conversion route.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased a Canon 6D and was shocked to learn that I couldn't open my RAW files in the Adobe Camera Raw plugin for my CS5.

So do I pay $200 to upgrade my Photoshop?  Or do I upgrade my Lightroom for $79? 

I would love an opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are obviously going to have to do one or the other. Purchasing Lightroom upgrade is certainly a good alternative. Of course, it will require Camera Raw 8.1 to be fully compatible. And you won't be able to use that version of camera raw. However, you can use the option to render a copy with Lightroom adjustments. That option works well. The only difference in your workflow is the point at which the TIF or PSD file is created. I have used this option in the past and have been very satisfied with the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim.  I'm going with the Photoshop upgrade.  I've been using the same workflow for years and really don't want to make it more complicated for myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think you'll really like Photoshop CS6.  I have it, and I enjoy using several of the new features.  But I also use Lightroom, and use it more extensively than I use Photoshop.  Eventually, when the next version of Photoshop is released, I'm going to have to deal with the differences in Camera Raw.  And isn't going to bother me at all.  I have dealt with it in the past, it is simple, and I'm satisfied with the results.  But I would never want to be without Photoshop for those times when I need it.  I think you are making a good choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kjs1959 wrote:

…So do I pay $200 to upgrade my Photoshop?  Or do I upgrade my Lightroom for $79? 

I would love an opinion.

From my point of view, that is a no-brainer:  go for Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, station_two. Yes, I believe I'll go with Photoshop CS6. I've never been comfortable with Lightroom.  And the new Photoshop CC is prohibitively expensive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines