• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lowering WB has no effect after applying profile

Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Camera Raw, but have experienced this issue with LR as well.

For infrared photography and film negative inversion, it is necessary to use a white balance value below 2000, the minimum allowed for most Adobe software. The recommended workaround is to create a profile that is already at the 2000 value, so that once applied it will allow the user to lower it even further.

Here is a sample image in unedited form (WB at 5050):

1.png

Same image with WB lowered to 2000:

2.png

Next, I created a profile with a WB of 2000. Notice the slider is at 5050, but the image looks identical to the previous one - the profile has worked and the WB is at an equivalent of 2000:

3.png

However, when I attempt to lower the WB further, there is no effect. Notice how the slider is now at 2000 but the image has not changed at all:

4.png

I'd appreciate it if anyone could provide insight into what I'm doing wrong - this problem has persisted across various updates.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The WB isn't affected by these camera profile if that's what you're referring to. IOW, you can select Adobe Standard or anything else, by design, that isn't supposed to alter WB values:

WBvsProfile.jpg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If profiles don't affect WB, then why do pictures #1 and #3 look different? The only change between them is the application of a profile where WB is set to 2000. I was under the impression that profiles essentially bake edits into an image without changing CR values - the purpose being to set a standardized starting point from which further edits can be made.

Also, your answer doesn't explain why a profile would cause the WB slider to have no effect between the 5050 and 2000 values. Surely this must be a glitch, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly what “profiles” are you referring to and from where? I can not see the names in all you screen shots. 

@DanielJS97 wrote:

If profiles don't affect WB, then why do pictures #1 and #3 look different?

Surely this must be a glitch, no?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Andrew - did you read Adobe DNG specification as suggested ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what you need to do is to adjust certain matrices in DCP profile (if you are using XMP profile-preset then in underlying DCP profile) - Adobe has a mannual - read it = https://wwwimages2.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/products/photoshop/pdfs/cs6/DNGProfile_EditorDocume...

also you can find tutorials like = https://kolarivision.com/post-infrared-photo-editing/custom-dng-tutorial-setting-white-balance-infra...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to convert all my scans to DNG - using CR to process B/W film scanned in NEF format has worked fine for me so far. I just want to find a means of extending the WB range so that I can do the same with colour.

Surely if I'm changing WB from 5050 to 2000 with NO EFFECT on the image, there must be some kind of problem with the software? Especially since moving the slider the other way DOES make the image warmer - IOW, the slider works from 50,000 - 5050, then just cuts of from 5050 - 2000.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as noted you need to alter matrix part of DCP profile to be able change WB sliders operation - nobody says that you need to convert files to DNG, but the way Adobe PE operates is that you need to use some DNG file - so create one , make adjustments, save profile and use it with your non DNG raw files... if you share copies of your profiles and a raw file - somebody will take a look and advise you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines