• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need Camera RAW for Nikon D780--any update?

Participant ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello

any projected date for Camera Raw update for new Nikon D780?  Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

Our engineers are working with our partners to add the raw support for the Nikon D780.

If your camera came out within the past 90 days and it’s not on the list of supported cameras, be patient, as you may need to wait for compatibility.

Adobe goes through a rigorous process of adding support for and testing of each new camera raw format. Adobe generally releases updates of the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in and Lightroom to provide new camera support about once a quarter, or about every 90 days.

Please checkout this article for  more info: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/why-is-my-camera-not-supported.html#Ijustpurchasednbspanewcamer...

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyway to get auto notification when avilable (in general for raw updates)? 

this would be a great addition to Adobe services!!!

Also would make a lot of people happy!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> Anyway to get auto notification when avilable (in general for raw updates)? 

You'll be notified via the Cloud desktop app whenever updates, including Camera Raw, are available.

adobe-cloud-updates.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akash,

It's been a lot longer than 90 days since I purchased my Nikon D780 (on the very first day they went on sale in the UK), but still no camera RAW update for PSE 2020. When is this update coming please?

Cheers,

Kent Yeti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no connection with Adobe whatsoever. But if you have been using Adobe products for any length of time you should know that such announcements are never made in advance. You will know when there is a new Camera Raw when it is available. There is no special insight for you or anyone else. Doesn't matter if you have a new Nikon or a new Canon or a new Sony or whatever. You will have to wait until Adobe is ready to release their next update. That is about the only answer there is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted Adobe a few weeks after I purchased the D780 and was told the Camera Raw would be updated by the end of March or early April. I imagine the release has been delayed to some extent by the onset of the virus, and possible by the delay in releasing the D6. I have checked regularly since then and found no updates. Only now, having considered all the circumstanes, have I considered it appropriate to come here to find out if there was any news on the issue. PSE 2020, which I purchased only for the D780, still won't open NEF files and, checking for updates for it a few minutes ago, the message I got was that it currently has all available updates. I have been using PSE for many years, and have always waited a good time after a new Nikon camera has been released before upgrading my camera and my version of PSE. So I have never encountered this issue before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to this page 

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

support for this camera was added in Camera Raw 12.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right! I just assumed since the OP indicated it wasn't supported, and didn't look at the list. It's also supported in Lightroom and LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just been in contact with Adobe via their contact link, and they tell me that Camera Raw 12.2 is not yet available for PSE 2020, but they are expecting it to be at some stage. Hopefully that means they are still supporting PSE, which meets my needs, which,  like me, are fairly simple, and it does all I want. Except, at present, open NEF files from my D780.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something that you "could" consider as a stopgap solution. Download DNG converter 12.2 and create DNG copies of your NEF files. Those DNG files could then be opened in PSE. Then, when Camera Raw is finally updated for Elements you could discontinue that workflow. But in the meantime you would have access to the raw data from your camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

Thanks for that. I did download the DNG converter a while ago, but it's a bit of a pain, as I was ending up with loads of files I will have to sort and delete when Adobe do add Camera Raw 12.2 to PSE 2020. 

Cheers,

Bryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That, or not worry about it. I'm on My fourth Nikon camera and I have played with the DNG converter now and then. Frankly, I only use it when necessary because, with each camera, I have found that converting to DNG didn't reduce the size of the image more than about 20%, so I don't routinely use the conversion process. As far as image quality is concerned, I could not see a difference between the original NEF file and the DNG. So, frankly, I wouldn't worry about keeping the NEF files in this "interim" time. Just get rid of them. Then, when you finally have a Camera Raw that does the job you can forget about converting to DNG. That's just my opinion, and it isn't worth much. You can do what you choose, of course. I only suggested using the DNG converter because you indicated you wanted access to your raw image data from your camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines