• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nikon D810 NEF's crashing Camera Raw/Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. Hopefully someone here can help me. Each time I open NEF files from my Nikon D810, Photoshop launches, Camera Raw launches within PS, then immediately crashes, shutting down my pc. I am running Windows 10, Photoshop CC (v21.2.4), Camera Raw (v12.4). Opening jpg's in Camera Raw doesnt cause the shut-down. I have been able to open the same NEF files previously without issues, this is only a recent issue. I can import the NEF's into Lightroom, then take them in to PS avoiding opening in Camera Raw, but this is not ideal. I have tried disabling graphics acceleration in PS without success. Any ideas/help would be appreciated. Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try trashing your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

This action only affects the items found in the preferences dialog box. Numerous program settings are stored in the Adobe Photoshop Preferences file, including general display options, file-saving options, performance options, cursor options, transparency options, type options, and options for plug‑ins and scratch disks. Brushes (and lots of other setting) are not affected by the above instructions for deleting preferences. You may wish to make a screen capture of the settings in the Preferences dialog to reset them prior to deleting of this file.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I tried this but it didnt work. Opening NEF's in Photoshop/Bridge still results in crashing...pc shuts down/restarts and all programs close in the process.

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry...above should read " Opening NEF's in Photoshop/Camera Raw still results in crashing..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further to the above, I have sent some RAW files to a friend of mine and he able to open the NEF's in Photoshop with no problems...so this rules out the files themselves being problematic.
I am now also unable to jump the file from Lightroom to Photoshop (Ctrl-E) without immediately crashing/shutting down.

...Help!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disable the GPU in ACR preferences and Lightroom preferences (both).

It's a video driver issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. Ive tried this and it's still crashing when I open NEF's.

It seems that I can open a NEF the first time with no problems, but when I open a second NEF, the pc shuts down. This occurs with all methods of opening the file ie. from Windows Explore, from within PS, or jumped over from Lightroom. When I convert the file to DNG, it still occurs.

Very frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is definitely something not right with your computer and software because I'm using the same Windows 10, same version of Photoshop/Camera Raw, and I can open NEF files from the Nikon D810, no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Yes, there is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim

Can you tell me what version of Windows 10 you are running? I've been in touch with Adobe support and they say it is a Windows 2004 issue, and that I should install the previous version (1909).

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I'm notified that there is a Windows update I allow it to be installed. As far as I know, I'm completely up to date. This is what it reports on my computer. I only have 8 GB RAM.

Screenshot 2020-10-13 095821.jpg

What Adobe support are you referring to? Is it the support from overseas? If it is then I would be suspect of their suggestions.

Incidentally, that installed date is the date of the last update, not the date Windows 10 was installed on the computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I used a Nikon D810 for four years, have thousands of files, and still open those files without any issues.

Here's my Windows version:

winspecs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines