Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New File with .ACR extension when saving Camera Raw settings

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community,

I used ACR in version 13 and upgraded to version 14 as it was available. When editing pictures in ACR, I was used to see .xmp files when saving my changes for the edited pictures - this file contains the settings I made according to the raw file. Now, there is an additional file with the extension .ACR. I can't find any info on this type of file or for what it is used. Can someone tell me?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

The .ACR file contains the pixel versions of previously generated AI masks (Select Subject/Sky) so they don't have to be recalculated each time you open a raw file with previous AI masking elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

And it appears that a separate sidecar is needed because XMP is XML (plain text) and .acr is a binary file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .ACR file contains the pixel versions of previously generated AI masks (Select Subject/Sky) so they don't have to be recalculated each time you open a raw file with previous AI masking elements.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it appears that a separate sidecar is needed because XMP is XML (plain text) and .acr is a binary file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the answer, this makes sense because I used the AI masking feature before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk, as far as I can tell, Lightroom Classic (latest version with Adobe Creative Cloud) does not produce these .acr files when using AI masks. Where is that data stored instead? I'm curious because I'm now having issues re-naming my photos after editing them with AI masks in Camera Raw (again, latest version with Adobe Creative Cloud, 14.0.1), which produces these new .acr files but Photo Mechanic does not re-name the .acr files, only the .XMP files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .acr files are only used in Camera Raw.  Masks in Lightroom Classic are stored in the yourcatalogname.lrcat-data file which lives  along side your .lrcat catalog file. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded to PC CC 2022 (V23) yesterday (too many projects going on to repeat previous upgrade debacles). I have a workflow where I scan film negatives to DNG files using Silverfast 8.8 (48-bit raw). When I open the file in ACR and change image settings (apply a profile, apply geometry and crop tools) then open to PS, ACR leaves a file behind with the extension ".ACR".  ACR settings have "DNG Handing" set to "Always use Sidecar XMP files." This file extension doesn't seem to be documented anywhere and I cannot find it searching in this forum (search ".acr" returns every ACR post since dirt).

These file are small, and not necessarily troublesome, but I am trying to understand why and what is being left behind on my drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See: https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw-discussions/camera-raw-generates-acr-files-when-editing/m-...

Rikk Flohr: Photography Adobe Employee , Mar 29, 2022

A .acr file contains non-textual data (binary). Currently that can be an AI-generated pixel-based mask and/or a LUT. Other items will be stored in this file in the future.  I am guessing your color preset has a profile that uses a LUT (look up table). 

Not a bug.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uh, the pointed to post, ".ACR file contains the pixel versions of previously generated AI masks (Select Subject/Sky) so they don't have to be recalculated each time you open a raw file with previous AI masking elements." None of the edits have used masks. But then, there are no bugs in Adobe, only features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You asked what these files are, you were told. You state “This file extension doesn't seem to be documented anywhere” but it has been.

You state : “None of the edits have used masks.

Did you see the explanation: “and/or a LUT”?

So now you're telling us the files are the result of a bug?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite the contrary. I clearly stated that there are no bugs in Adobe code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mikeb28930794 wrote:

Quite the contrary. I clearly stated that there are no bugs in Adobe code.

You can thank Adobe’s great team and prerelease testers.

You are welcome. 😘

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Weird I didnt start getting ACR sidecars until this last update only xmp despite editing in ACR

@ m e l a n k a y a

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines