• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New Camera Raw File Support - Requests & Information

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a complete overview of camera support in Photoshop and Lightroom, visit the following article:

Why doesn't my version of Photoshop or Lightroom support my camera?

1. Make sure your version of Photoshop or Lightroom is updated for the latest camera support.
  2. If you own an older version of Photoshop or Lightroom, Adobe provides backward compatibility for the latest cameras through the FREE Adobe DNG Converter.

Note: ETAs for specific cameras are not available

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
DNG Converter , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

LEGEND , Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

No one here knows. We don't know. Adobe never tells us when.

When Adobe gets all the work completed to successfully use raw photos from this camera, they will release a new version of the software. Then we will all find out at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Until Adobe release supported versions of Lightroom-Classic and ACR, you will need to edit with Canon's DPP App (Digital Photo Professional), and export to TIF or JPG.  DPP lists the R5c as supported.

https://cam.start.canon/en/S002/manual/html/UG-00_Before_0050.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

No. Nobody can tell you this because they either do not know, or they are not allowed to tell you because of their NDA. I understand your impatience, but you will simply have to wait.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

No one can say (except for some Adobe employees, who are not allowed to say). You should check the list here each time Adobe updates the Lighroom Classic software.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

When is Adobe going to update so that users of Sony A6700 ... can use LR normally.

By @mariajen393

Update to Lightroom Classic 12.5 released last week. The Sony A6700 is supported in version 12.5.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-new-in-lightroom-classic-12-5/

New camera support:

• Sony
    • Sony A6700 (ILCE-6700)

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 788 Replies 788
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The typical time between Lightroom/ACR updates is about 3 months. The last update was a while ago so it might not be long but I don't have any info to base that on. Unfortunately since most camera makers use proprietary raw formats instead of a standard such as dng, Adobe needs to get a copy of the camera and profile it under different lighting conditions before they can issue an update. They will sometimes put preliminary support in a camera raw/Lightroom version before the camera comes out if the camera maker sends them a prerelease version but this is rare. An update is therefore needed every time a new model comes out and this takes some time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jao, this is really useful to know. I wish I had known before I traded in my old camera! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The typical time between Lightroom/ACR updates is about 3 months."

Lightroom Classic releases a version supporting new cameras every 61 days (8.7 weeks) on average:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/frequency-of-lightroom-classic-releases...

LR 12.1 was released on 12/13/22, so we might expect to see 12.2 in the next week or two.  

New cameras from major manufacturers are usually supported in the next release of LR, unless they were shipped right before the release date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again John, really hopeful you're right and it'll just be a matter of weeks, not months! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone recommend a workaround in the meantime? Some way of converting these Panasonic Lumix S5ii raw files to a format that is readable by Adobe? 

@Danielle Watt 

You can install Silkypix Developer Studio SE (the Raw converter for Panasonic cameras), open the S5 II Raw files and export them as TIFFs which Lightroom can read.

https://www.isl.co.jp/SILKYPIX/english/p/product/manual/man0011.html

Ensure you keep the Raw files for when the update for Lightroom is released which will enable Lightroom to open the Raw files directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much John, have just tried this based off your recommendation and it works! For some reason I'm unable to "batch develop" as the files as TIFF (error message every time), but it does work developing each image individually. Which, though a bit time consuming, I am really over the moon about! Any idea why the batch develop might not be working? I am trying to do it with about 150 images in one go, so maybe it's just too much...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently acquired the Lumix S5 Mark II and was saddened to see that the RW2 format is yet to be supported on Adobe software. I am currently on Mac.

I understand this is a new model so delays are understandable. I just wanted to make this posting to highlight the issue. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do let Panasonic know you are disappointed in them holding your raw data from having support for all software products (unlike the JPEG) as this delay is their fault entirely. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind that if Panasonic (and others) included a Save to DNG option in their in-camera menu then no Camera Raw update would be required from Adobe, Capture One or anyone else. You could then open your DNG files in any imaging software on the day you buy the camera.

That's why Adobe developed the DNG format almost 20 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know when Lightoom will be updated to be able to process raw files from Panasonic Lumix s5 mark 2? It was released in January 2023 so it's still pretty new. Does it usually take a long time for this to happen? I had just assumed (I shouldn't have) that the raw files would be the exact same as the previous model, the S5. And I now have a bunch of raws I can't edit, far from ideal! 

Can anyone recommend a workaround in the meantime? Some way of converting these Panasonic Lumix S5ii raw files to a format that is readable by Adobe? 

Thanks in advance? Fingers crossed... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For reference by others, your query was answered in the replies to your other post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw-discussions/p-raw-file-support-requests-amp-information-ne... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm jusing LR6 on a MacBook Pro and just bought the new Lumix S5M2 - and Lightrom does not support the RAW file coming out from the camera. I have tried to find a solution, or a 3rd party app or plugin that can help me with Lightroom.. but no luck. So - do I have to turn away from LR to be able to enjoy and adjust my images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer is in this thread many times right above your post. The reason it is not supported yet is that Panasonic uses a propretary raw format and Adobe (and other raw engines) first have to buy the camera and profile waht it does in different light conditions before it can be supported. Were they to use an open raw forat such as dng or were they to share prerelease versions with raw converter makers, this wouldn't happen every time a new camera is released. You will have to wait until the next version of Lightroom (probably a few weeks out if history is an indicator) before you will see support for raw files from the new camera. In the mean time, convert to tiff using the camera maker's software but keep the raw files for future processing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to find a solution, or a 3rd party app or plugin that can help me with Lightroom.. but no luck.

Can you elaborate?

Raw files from the S5M2 cannot (yet) be opened in Lightroom. But TIFFs converted from the Raw via the Silkypix software certainly can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm waiting for the update to read the new lumix s5mk2 files do you know when it will arrive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The updates come every two to three months.  They are not scheduled or announced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera came out last month. Everything is up to date on my MacBook Pro (2017). I tried opening it through my quick time player as well but it says "the specified URL type isn't supported" please help I am very new to these types of things. I also have the paid version of Adobe light room. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post if it helps you get responses.

<moved from using the community>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Je ne parviens pas à ouvrir mes raw RW2 de mon S5ii panasonic avec la dernière version lightroom

[moved from bugs to discussions - Mod.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't open my raw RW2 of my S5ii panasonic with the latest lightroom version

By @default2vpgfa8pre8o

This is a recently released camera, and not yet supported by Lightroom.

It will most likely be supported in an update in the near future. Impossible to say when, because Adobe does not announce updates in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am shooting RAW (RW2) files with the new Panasonic S5II (NOT S5) and this format as of Feb 13 2023 is not yet supported in either Lightroom or Photoshop.

I find it curious that a manufacturer and consumer base the size of Panasonic has not yet been seen as important enough for Adobe to work this out.

If anyone at Adobe has an update as to when this will be addressed I would sure appreciate it.

I mention it here, not because I think Adobe will care or comment, but as a large caution.  If you shoot a professional event with this camera and you shoot only Raw (not Raw and JPG) you will NOT be able to even see your images much less deliver them.

Again, do NOT be confused, the S5 also shot RW2 raw files, and they work fine, but something has changed and I really need help.  I have tried4 or 5 3rd-party conversion solutions and none of the work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it curious that a manufacturer and consumer base the size of Panasonic has not yet been seen as important enough for Adobe to work this out.

This (again), and in this specific case, is totally the fault of Panasonic. If you're upset, ask them why, unlike the JPEG, their raw (every raw they come up with) is proprietary, and they don't openly document the format. Or why they can't allow the output of a DNG along with the JPEG. Two openly documented file formats. Then on day one, you and everyone using a 3rd party raw converter would have access to your raw data. Now you get to wait on Adobe. And if you used another raw converter, that company too. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR usually supports a new camera from a major manufacturer in the release following the availability of the camera, sometimes the next release after that.  LR releases every 8-9 weeks on average, so we might expect to see LR 12.2 this week or next. 

The S5 II was announced 1/18/23, but Panasonic announced they expected delays in fullfilling early orders.  Hopefully Adobe got theirs in time to meet the LR 12.2 release schedule.   But if not, Adobe recently announced that Camera Raw and the DNG Converter would be released about every 4 weeks. So if the S5 II doesn't make it into LR 12.2, you could likely use the DNG Converter released a month later to convert the S5 II's raws to DNG before importing into LR, and then a month after that LR 12.3 would include direct support.

Of course, if Panasonic supported the industry-standard DNG format, you would get immediate support in LR, as Thedigitaldog pointed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The S5 II was announced 1/18/23

The S5 II was announced on 1/4/23.

https://amateurphotographer.com/latest/photo-news/panasonic-lumix-s5ii/

My camera was shipped on 1/17/23 and received the next day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines