• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New Camera Raw File Support - Requests & Information

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a complete overview of camera support in Photoshop and Lightroom, visit the following article:

Why doesn't my version of Photoshop or Lightroom support my camera?

1. Make sure your version of Photoshop or Lightroom is updated for the latest camera support.
  2. If you own an older version of Photoshop or Lightroom, Adobe provides backward compatibility for the latest cameras through the FREE Adobe DNG Converter.

Note: ETAs for specific cameras are not available

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
DNG Converter , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

LEGEND , Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

No one here knows. We don't know. Adobe never tells us when.

When Adobe gets all the work completed to successfully use raw photos from this camera, they will release a new version of the software. Then we will all find out at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Until Adobe release supported versions of Lightroom-Classic and ACR, you will need to edit with Canon's DPP App (Digital Photo Professional), and export to TIF or JPG.  DPP lists the R5c as supported.

https://cam.start.canon/en/S002/manual/html/UG-00_Before_0050.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

No. Nobody can tell you this because they either do not know, or they are not allowed to tell you because of their NDA. I understand your impatience, but you will simply have to wait.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

No one can say (except for some Adobe employees, who are not allowed to say). You should check the list here each time Adobe updates the Lighroom Classic software.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

When is Adobe going to update so that users of Sony A6700 ... can use LR normally.

By @mariajen393

Update to Lightroom Classic 12.5 released last week. The Sony A6700 is supported in version 12.5.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-new-in-lightroom-classic-12-5/

New camera support:

• Sony
    • Sony A6700 (ILCE-6700)

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 788 Replies 788
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just shot a wedding with my A7iv and over 1000 photos are stuck because format not support. How can this be possible at 2021/2022? I promised to deliver edited photos to my client this week. I can't believe this is happening...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

welcome in club 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will have to use Sony Imaging Edge to convert the RAW files to TIFF.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. I know. But it is like driving a 6 gear car with only 3 gears in a race 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's SO incredibly frustrating, considering there are other software providers that seem to be able to support the A7iv RAW files.  Looks like we just will have to play the waiting game!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Sonys Imaging Edge Software. Once there you can open one picture at the time and  save it as a 200 MB tif file. Then you can import them into Lightroom and make some editing.

You will waste a day or two and around 150 GB of storage. The editing result will probably be worse.

Just because two software/hardware giants could exchange some information a few weeks ago making sure their two products could work together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was super chuffed when my A7iv turned up the day before a job. I feel a little lucky that I checked the raws first and chose not to use the new camera on the job. It felt very strange shooting a project with a brand new camera sat in my camera bag. I personally don't feel that adobe should maintain the 'you'll get it when you get it and no information will be given' vibe while charging monthly.

A monthly subscription implies service on-top of product, even if that service is simply communication and I think the loyalty that comes with subscription should be respected. You may not know when it will be ready but you know when it won't be ready, so please let us know. If it's days/weeks, meh that's fine, I'll just leave it to collect dust for a while if it's months I'll buy some other software in the meantime. 

NOTE: Not directed at the hardworking devs likely working fast to get this out under pressure. You should really be flattered by our frustration since we could just use different software, but we don't want to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When are Adobe going to release an update to support this new cameras raw files?

Surely Adobe get access to pre-release models so they can develop updates to support the camera files?

it's disheartening and very disappointing that Adobe can't t support these files right now. For anyone shooting raw this means your files are unusuable in Lightroom and Photoshop... you can convert to Tifs at 16bit but that's still not RAW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doesn't annouce release dates for updates of their applications and which new functions or chages are availabe in the updatres or patches. So you have to be patient and wait.

Normally updates and patches are released every two months. The latest great update was released end of October so it's possible the an new update come in the next few days. But it isn't sure. 

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trying to be patient yes, but again it's not wrong to epect Adobe to ahead of the curve here for a better experience for their customers no? I'd be shocked if it's not on their radar that they'll have plenty of customers with Son'y new A7 iv waiting to get photos into Abdobe's products, but as of now they can't...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Farmer_with_a_camera wrote:

When are Adobe going to release an update to support this new cameras raw files?

Surely Adobe get access to pre-release models so they can develop updates to support the camera files?

Surely? How sure are you. Who at Adobe provided this data to you, when?

Shirley? <g>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm just applying logic... given there's plenty of people out there who've had the A7 iv on test prior to general release. I suppose Sony might not want Adobe to be ahead of the curve as Sony have editing software for sale, but seems daft if so

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm just applying logic... given there's plenty of people out there who've had the A7 iv on test prior to general release. I suppose Sony might not want Adobe to be ahead of the curve as Sony have editing software for sale, but seems daft if so

By @Farmer_with_a_camera

Logic + assumptions.

Look, some may have received pre-released cameras to maybe make videos. They were under NDA (I speak as someone who's been in such a position). Even if you wish to believe that the same day these folks were getting their pre-released cameras and making videos that Adobe also got one, it takes time to reverse engineer the raws, then test cross platform internally, then seed the beta's to outside testers, while creating camera profiles, while then building installers, documenting the software etc.

AGAIN, none of this would be an issue IF the camera manufacturers would treat their proprietary raws like they treat the JPEG the camera also produces. And they could do this! By and very large, they will not.

They could allow the proprietary raws to be converted in the camera to an open raw format, DNG. By and large, they will not. None of this is new.

Now the other assumption some can make, and it is silly and without merit is that yeah, Adobe had raws and they sat on their hands because they really enjoy upsetting customers who rush to get a camera a day before an actual shoot, and are happy those customers can't use their software on those proprietary raws. Or somehow, Adobe makes money every time someone shoots a JPEG. It's silly thought.

The historical 'bad guys' here are and will continue to be the camera manufacturers until, their customer base complains enough about this silly tactic. But a month or so after a new camera release, the vast majority of camera buyers have no idea what you early adopters had to go through. Is anyone here complaing about Sony A7IV seeing this for the very first time? If so, you should know that raw support virtually never happens the day/week or even month that camera was released. If this is your first experience with a new camera and a lack of any 3rd party raw support very early after release, then you should know that this has been happening for decades. And it will happen again.

Focus your complaints towards the source of this historical problem: the camera manufacturers.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very valid and i hold my hands up... my assumptions were wrong obvioulsy. agreed Sony should do better, but at the same time you can't say Adobe shouldn't too... they're both big companies and they could well have agreements in place to work mutually to benefit their consumers, but again appreciate nothing is simple in the corporate world!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agreed Sony should do better, but at the same time you can't say Adobe shouldn't too...

By @Farmer_with_a_camera

I never said that. The work will be done.

I've outlined the real issue.

I've provided the fact that no matter how many ask and how often, you will not get a date for the next release. And why that isn't done by and large, based on actually creating software for the Photoshop ecosystem.

I've outlined how you can actually use your cameras despite some claiming they cannot (of course they can and yes I agree, the manufacturers raw converters often suck).

Yes, big companies often move slower than smaller ones. There are also advantages of big software compaines. But that's moot. Adobe is working on the raw support. It is coming. If you don't want to see this happen again, tell your camera manufacturer that the raw data is yours, not theirs and you don't want to be forced, for a day, a week a month to use their software or have to shoot a JPEG.

Proprietary raws: BAD. Unnecessary . Not going away but they should. Focus on that problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Farmer_with_a_camera wrote, "Surely Adobe get access to pre-release models so they can develop updates to support the camera files?"

One issue is that the firmware in a pre-release camera can change before the final release. It would be bad for customers if Adobe released camera profiles based on pre-release firmware that produced inferior results for final-release cameras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agreed and valid response, but again you'd hope it wouldn't differ too much so any work on pre-release models can be tweaked accordingly and they're ready sooner rather than later. appreciate i'm moaning here, but i won't be the only one feeling like this... i've got an expensive piece of kit which i'm not really wanting to use right now on the basis i can't edit right now and don't want to get a backlog... having a tantrum 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've  just taken delivery of the new Sony Alpha 7 iv and tried to import the raw files into Lightroom. I got an error messsge saying the file format was unsupported. When will the Alpha 7iv raw images be supported in Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Die RAW-Daten von meiner Kamera Sony A7 IV können aktuell von Lightroom nicht gelesen werden. Bitte um sofortigen Update für Sony (ILCE-7M4)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very odd that Luminar AI does recognise A7iv ARW w/o problems and you can edit them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its likely just the JPG/HEIF embeded in the RAW file, if you push/pull the sliders, they don't have the same lattitude as RAW. And my lossless compressed's resolution is off with black empty areas around the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be that A7iv produce raw files very similar to for example A7c or A1. So maybe it would work pretty good just ignore that the files come from a A7iv.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening. Is it already known when the ARW files of the new Sony Alpha 7IV can be edited in Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates are roughly quarterly and the last was in October, so I'd expect it in the next month or so. But anybody who knows the answer will be under an NDA and couldn't tell you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In some thousands more angry customers time. Even if it is not Adobes fault (completely at least) they still do som really good anti customer care here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines