• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RAW vs Jpeg

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm new to LR. Just uploaded photos and they are in JPEG but I shoot in RAW as well. What setting am I missing to work with them in RAW?

Thank you.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ideally you want to stick with the raw data. The JPEG engine that processes the raw massively clips and compresses highlights. We often don't when editing the raw. This compression can clump midtones as much as 1 stop while compressing shadow details! People incorrectly state that raw has more highlight data but the fact is, the DR captured is an attribute of the capture system; it's all there in the raw but maybe not in a camera proceed JPEG.

A raw capture that's 10 or 11 stops of dynamic range can be compressed to 7 stops from this JPEG processing which is a significant amount of data and tonal loss! So when we hear people state that a raw has more DR than a JPEG, it's due to the poor rendering or handling of the data to create that JPEG. The rendering of this data and the reduction of dynamic range is from the JPEG engine that isn't handling the DR data that does exists as well as we can from the raw! Another reason to capture and render the raw data, assuming you care about how the image is rendered!
And do read this outstanding article (long but necessary) on the subject:

Moving forward from this, IF you shoot for optimal exposure for a JPEG, you are very often massively under exposing the raw data. You can't treat them the same due to the data.
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Barbara22228976h2lf wrote:

What setting am I missing to work with them in RAW?

If a raw file was shot, Lightroom Classic will use it, so the only setting to check would be on the camera. If the camera is set to record in raw, Lightroom Classic should automatically be recognizing the files as raw for editing.

One way that might not happen is if you have a camera so new or obscure that its raw format is not yet supported by Lightroom Classic. What camera model are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The way I read it, he's shooting raw + JPEG but maybe I'm misunderstanding the question. 

(” I shoot in RAW as well.”).

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines