Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Superresolution strange artifacts

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,
I am having the same issue. I've read several forums around.
So far i tried to:
- update displaydriver

- uninstall a lot of crap (as it might interfere with the processing)

-dis, and enabled GPU processing

- tried RAW images, .tiff files, .jp(e)g files. all give "same" artifacts 
- tried switching bit depth and color spaces preferences in ACR

It cannot be related to storage (the preview also shows artifacts) so i doubt it is a .dng issue as nothing has been saved to file, during preview! (but ofcourse i can be mistaken)

custom built win10 pro computer 32GB RAM, everything is processed in RAM as i use a RAMDISK.
core-i7 CPU, intel HD530 card

camera type is Canon5D4 (CR2 RAW files)

crap.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Hey there, it seems the update has fixed/addressed the issue.
(Im going to test it a bit more, but as far as i can see it does not show artifacts in the preview)

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if the preview is OK, the underlying raw could be corrupted so it would be useful if you could upload this as a DNG for others to test. 

Does this show with ALL raws you've tried? 

If so, the other thing to try is recalibrating your display as the display profile could be corrupted.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yup, all raws, tiffs and jpg's.

How can an underlying raw, tiff or jp(e)g be, or get corrupted if i can open it normally in LR and PS?

My display is calibrated with a SpyderXpro.

I think i found something: i completely disable GPU rendering in PS preferences and Camera RAW preferences. Restarted PS and still it uses the GPU to 100% (which i think causes the issue)

It's an onboard vid card.
I'll try to reproduce on a macmini. The .dng file is attached

Thanx for the tips @TheDigitalDog, much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, kind of confused because I read your first post to indicate you tried disabling GPU. That's usually the first thing to do when you see such odd previews, no matter the file type. 

If turning OFF GPU works, it's a GPU bug and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. 
Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly, i disabled GPU in both ACR and PS preferences, but i still see PS using it in taskmanager. (and when i put on "enhance" in superresolution, it ignores the preferences still using GPU; in this case for creating the preview) 

And it still does not work with GPU disabled. (There seems no way to disable it, PS will still use GPU)

In the OP i didn't measure it with taskmanager. as said there was an update for the driver which i installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey there, it seems the update has fixed/addressed the issue.
(Im going to test it a bit more, but as far as i can see it does not show artifacts in the preview)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines