Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue: White balance dropper tool zooms into picture, doesn't white balance

Camera Raw version: 14.0.1 
OS and version: macOS 12.0.1

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Open DNG file from Bridge in Adobe Camera Raw
2. Select white balance tool (either by click or keyboard shortcut "I")
3. Click area of photo

Expected result: White balance to selected pixel area
Actual result: Zoom into image area

* Optional, but useful: Upload a Test file (can be shared through CC files or other third-party storage), screenshot, video or gif file capturing the issue

TOPICS
DNG Converter , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot replicate on this end, same OS and versions of Bridge and ACR. And a DNG for testing. 

Maybe reset the ACR prefs? 

To Reset of the Camera Raw preferences:
Hold down the Command key and select Photoshop > Preferences > Camera Raw (macOS) or hold down the Ctrl key and select Edit > Preferences > Camera Raw (Windows).
Click Yes in the dialog that asks "Delete the Camera Raw Preferences?"
See also:
https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/camera-raw-settings.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already tried a preference refresh, no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does your cursor look like when you have selected the white balance tool? Is it an eyedropper or a magnifying glass?

2021-11-17_10-06-06.jpg

In that can maybe the Zoom Tool is enabled which supercedes the white balance eyedropper.

2021-11-17_10-06-19.jpg

Just a thought. Happens to me all the time. Very frustrating.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter for your reply.

The bug is that clicking the white-balance eyedropper tool also enables the Zoom Tool (in other words selecting WB eye dropper selects both). The cursor still looks like an eyedropper, but behaves like a zoom tool. Selecting the eyedropper without selecitng the zoom tool is impossible.

This was not the behavior on ACR 13.x. ACR 14.x broke the workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't on this end, and no, it isn't a bug. On this end, all the WB tool does is WB. You want to zoom? Hold down the Alt/Option key. Or type I key again. You'll see the cursor now change from WB to Zoom. Nothing on this end produces a zoom with the WB tool set, all I can achieve is what the tools should do: WB. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it works for you on your system. It doesn't on my system. Getting a different result than what the tool is expected to do is definitionally a bug, and bugs can be due to software interactions that differ from system to system.

CleanShot 2021-11-18 at 14.25.02.gif

Clearly this isn't the first time this bug has appeared:

Bridge 2019 Camera Raw Question 

Lightroom Classic WB/Zoom bug 

ACR White Balance tool zooming in 

If you have nothing constructive to contribute, kindly refrain from posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your system (which matches mine) buggy: yes.

Is this an Adobe bug that can be reproduced as you outline? Not for some of us and as yet, no one else.

Reset prefs as recommended? 

Curious why you and not others are affected or just want to blame Adobe?

Try logging into another account (you may need to make one), still see the issue? 

Try starting up in Safe mode (hold down Shift Key when booting), still see the issue?

You might want to try running a free utility like Onyx; still see the issue? 

https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Also view:

https://www.macworld.com/article/352902/onyx-review-macos.html

https://www.macworld.com/article/224955/how-to-reset-a-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html

From Adobe:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-troubleshooting.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this issues for a couple of years now with the Camera Raw Filter in Ps. I'm on Windows10 (built workstation), using Ps2023 Camera Raw Filter vs 15.0.0.1264,  but its been happening since 2018 for me. It's sporadic at best and can happen in the middle of an editing session. I've combed the forums and no one has an answer as to why and how to fix it. Tried everything that's been recommended over the years. Still happens sometimes. The only thing that fixes it for me it to restart my computer; closing out Ps doesn't work and I'm not using a tablet or have other apps open. It's frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Manged to maybe finally figure it out. Win10 Hotkeys were the issue and with some trial and error, when the Ps eyedropper tool in Camera Raw stops working, try Alt+Spacebar then try using it again. That's been working for me so far to get it back to normal. Been having this issue for years as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines