Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why did I lose 3 hours of work ?

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am currently using ACR 12.3.

I just lost 3 hours of work on hundreds of ARW files, Camera Raw simply closed itself after a misclick on that little arrow on the side of  the"open" button.

No dialog box asked me if I'm ok to cancel 3 hours of work.

No .XMP was created, no file was altered. I lost every single change on my pictures.

Please do something, like adding a simple dialog box saying "are you sure you want to close without saving files" any time you work more than 5 minutes on your files. If I remember correctly it was the case in the previous versions of ACR.

If there is a way to re enable that functionb I'd like to know how.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The arrow on the right side of the Open button? 

There is one on the right, it's to open whatever raws you've got selected inside Photoshop (or as a Smart Object or Copy). Doing so would not have discarded any edits but open them as described above. 

It sounds like maybe you clicked on "Cancel" which is on the left side of the Open button and if you did so, you told ACR to cancel all your work. Is that possible? This isn't anything new BTW. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it absolutely opened the one selected file with edits, the fact is that the hundreds of other edited files were not saved at all. I did not work 3 hours on that single picture, but on many more.

So you are probably correct and this is nothing new, but there is obviously a huge flaw in the UI when you can discard 99.9% of your work by one misclick.

Adding a dialog box preventing you from cancelling changes on so many files is a necessity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just selected two raws in the current version. 

I made one B&W.

I altered significantly the Exposure in the other. 

I selected one, (other not selected) and clicked Open. That one image opened with the edits of course. 

I then selected that 2nd image (B&W) and opened it again in ACR. It was B&W. 

Conclusion is this: the edits are saved. Even if you only open one but not the other. 

I don't know what you did or why all the other images not opened where not saved with the edits but the edits on this end are saved. Did you try opening one again in ACR to see if indeed the edits are present? The preview may not update but again, the edits were saved even  when not opened. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am gonna bet on an Alt-click, which would provide the results he had- one open file, with settings, 100s thrown away...I agree there should be a warning here - "Discard changes to all other images?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, that sounds really painful.  Is it possible you pressed the alt key before open (it would change to "open copy") - one image would open, with ACR's settings applied in Ps, but the metadata for the 100s of other images would not get updated with your tweaks.   Its a feature...   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also.. 12.3 has re-ordered those most crucial buttons, it now being "Cancel, Done, Open \/"   when for many years it has been "Open, Cancel, Done"    (the arrow is a new addition) - not quite sure of the logic of why, just to keep us on our toes I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines