• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Sigma SD1 - when will the Merrill sensors be supported, please!

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2013 Dec 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2 years since the SD1 was first shown, and 1 1/2 years since a family of Sigma bodies using the 15.4/16Mp sensor began to fill out. There are now thousands of DP and SD Merrill bodies out there, and yet Lightroom/ACR still have no support for them.

Third party support does exist from one small developer, so it can't be that hard to process these files - please, support these cameras or give a definitive explanation for the lack of support so users can pursue the right angle to get support.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 09, 2014 Apr 09, 2014
We currently do not have a timetable for direct support in ACR/Lr. Sorry. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate
46 Comments
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2014 May 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2014 Jul 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on this ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately not soon. The best technical approach in the meantime would be to do the initial raw conversion in Sigma's software and save the result as a 16-bit TIFF, which you can then further develop in ACR / Lr. I know this workflow is not ideal, but it's what we have at present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2014 Aug 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C ́mon Eric, this MUST be a nice challenge for You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the quattro now - a camera which can get closer to the ISO limits of mainstream bodies, is edging closer to the write-speeds and shot times, and can deliver the same mind-blowing detail at 100% that the Merrills can.

Will the quattro get support, even if the Merrills don't? The raw files are 50-70MB still (from a 19.6Mp spatial resolution) and now 14-bit per channel (not sure if they pad that to 16-bit for the container). It is a fantastic camera. Sigma needs support from Adobe - their cameras are not finding buyers because the workflow is so different. There's D810 support barely a week after the camera lands - how many people need to either ditch Adobe products, or offer to buy them, before Sigma's modern bodies get some support?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Richard.  No direct support planned for the Quattro models, either, at present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am one of the most respected pro photographers in Germany.I witnessed the unbelivable progress in ACRs denoising algorhythms in 2008 (C3/CS4) thanks to Eric and his team.Same for the CA removal, where ACR is unsurpassed, even by the manufacturers own bundeled software (Hasselblad Phocus+ Capture one for example).
I witnessed what ACR is capable of with a Sigma SD14 file (most amazing colors, yet still soft and non digital looking).
And now the most amazing tool ( refer to Llloyd cambers), the DP Merrills and quattros are abandoned.

Please Eric, please, let this finally become a priority at Adobe.Are You guys in contact with the Yamaki family?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sigma need to get free rotation, cropping and free resizing - and a lot of stability into SPP - if Adobe are determined not to support the new generation of Foveon sensors.

But I find it staggering that Adobe is prepared to let two generations of system fall by the wayside, when high-end MF backs which sell fewer units and ship with directly competing software are supported. Is Foveon that much of a challenge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Aug 06, 2014 Aug 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could Adobe consider half-baked support to the extent that at least the asset management capability of Lightroom would work.. ie. basically be able to only preview thumbnails (from embedded jpegs) and read the exif? That at least should be easy..

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2014 Sep 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Sigma cameras, particularly the Merrill cameras, are not currently supported by Lightroom.

As a person who shoots with a Sigma DP1M, it's annoying not to have support for this camera. The Merrill cameras have been on the market for a long time now. Support for these cameras is long overdue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2014 Oct 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I add my plea to Adobe for support for the (in my case) DP2 Merrill? It produces fantastic results and I am considering making more use of the Sigma camera and lens family generally but I am put off by Sigma PhotoPro and the slow hassle of converting to TIFF's for editing in Photoshop/Lightroom.
Sigma have told me that they have given Adobe all the necessary data - come on Adobe, what's the prob?
If Adobe absolutely refuse, I suppose that we will have to bear with PhotoPro and harass Sigma to improve PhotoPro. This is Adobe losing out on an opportunity.
Is there a third party raw conversion programme which is a viable alternative?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand the problem. For a huge company as Adobe it should be easy to develop the support of Quattro files. Maybe they don't see the quality of the quattro's. Too bad. The quality of Quattro's are one of the beste camera's ever.
Adobe; Please show me that you are a professional company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hear, hear!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2015 Nov 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So much time and no results? we pay sooo much money every month and just a little "no support jet" ??? Come on .. still as a student I need the support of X3F in photoshop .. pleeeaase!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2015 Nov 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell me: Is it really so difficult to support the outstanding Sigma camera files?
I'm waiting for years and I have no more time and patience to wait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2016 Jan 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric, maybe you can make it a New Years Resolution that 2016 will finally be the year that X3F files are supported (all of them, from Merrill, Quattro, Sigma cameras). That would just be so wonderful in a year that is shaping up to be rough (stock market crashing, election politics, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2016 Jan 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has probably been asked before, but it would be wonderful if Adobe could support (convert) X3F files from Sigma cameras. Fans of the "foveon look" like myself have been waiting and waiting... Please let us know how we can help move this process along, if at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2016 Apr 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Utterly spectacular photo of an amazing scene!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 13, 2018 May 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Affinity Photo handles handles RAW from my SD1 Merrill fantastically. Adobe has become another of those photo editors I have installed, but almost never use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to you, I have to convert .x3f-Files to DNG using DNG-Converter. In the Information about the supported cameras is to find: "Sigma dp2" but the Rawfiles from the Sigma dp2 Quattro can not be done. Could it be that the support means the Sigma dp2 Merill? So it would be very nice you will include the Sigma dp2 Quattro (then this will work also for the dp1 Quattro, dp3 Quattro and dp0 Quattro). Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Who want to call this "professional" - how sad - good bye Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate