• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Choose which lines are used for straightening perspective.

Participant ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

as an interior photographer, I really appreciated it when the automatic tool for correcting perspective lines was introduced a few years ago. In a way, I realized that over time, I could save a lot of time in retouching my interior work and focus on other things. However, even though it's been maybe two or three years now, I don't think the tool is quite mature yet. Let me explain.

When I go to retouch the photos taken inside renovated buildings, I almost always have to deal with many lines. Some of these lines are load-bearing and fundamental, while others are less important. It just so happens that Camera Raw almost always fails to identify these important lines.

And that's why I think this tool should be further refined, allowing us to choose which lines the automation should work on and which ones it shouldn't.

Does anyone else feel the same way when working with Camera Raw? I think it's pretty much the same with Lightroom, given that the tool is identical.

Thank you 🙂 

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
3 Comments
Advocate ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Geometry Panel there are 5 different modes for perspective correction (Shift + T will take you there directly.) The first option (Auto) is perhaps what you are referring to. The fifth opton (Guided) allows you to draw your own guides for perspective correction. Is this what you want?

Here is some further detail:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/camera-raw/using/automatic-perspective-correction-camera-raw.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use them all, but none of them do what I say on the first try. They all work, but sometimes yes and sometimes no. Instead, I would like a partially automatic tool that always works. I would like to roughly indicate which are the main perspective lines to straighten and that's it. Instead, as I said, this way I leave it to Camera Raw to interpret the perspective lines... and unfortunately it often fails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Erik Bloodaxe I happen to retouch a lot of indoor photographs every year, and believe me, unfortunately, it's as I say. Maybe Camera Raw takes some things into consideration, but not others. Or it takes the wrong ones into account.

For example, when photographing apartments, there are often a lot of vertical lines to deal with. Walls, paintings, televisions, tables, furniture, bookshelves, etc. All elements whose vertical lines must be straightened. However, only some of these are the main lines, while others sometimes need to be manually adjusted in Photoshop, due to lens distortions, for example.

Other times, I simply prefer to straighten some of them in particular, knowing that the others will be easier to align by creating separate layers, for example. In short... these are things that anyone who photographs interiors can perfectly understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate