• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Crash recovery features

Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to see Adobe implement a crash-recovery feature for ACR.  I know that the XMP file (for RAW files) is only written when you open the file into PS or you click Done and close ACR.  It would be nice if in the background, ACR took "snapshots" of your work (not really snapshots like you would within ACR) but basically make a backup of your work, say every 5 minutes, and write it to a temp file.  Then if ACR closes gracefully (doesn't crash) the temp XMP file is erased.  If ACR crashes, then the temp file is detected and you are prompted if you want to pick up where you left off.

I think for this to work properly, it would have to be such that ACR writes each change you make to the temp XMP file (sort of like how Lightroom Classic does this with the XMP file option turned on).

I think if Adobe could implement this as an optional setting that you can activate, people would feel more comfortable using ACR.  I know in some of my long edit sessions, where I might spend 10-15+ minutes in ACR, I fear it crashing and losing all of my work.  My workaround for now is to simply click Done periodically to save changes so if ACR does crash, the most I would have lost would be any edits that were done since I Last opened the file in ACR, but a crash recovery feature would be nice.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
11 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you're OK if this massivly slows down all your working with the tool? How often does this 'save' take place? 

Gotta have an option to disable if its even possible. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why people feel this will massively slow down their computer.  I have a similar feature turned on in LR Classic (the XMP option) and I don't really notice a slow-down at all.  The one I'm proposing here would be periodic, like every few minutes and since your edits reside in memory as your work in ACR, the computer can certainly handle writing a text file in the background while you're working. 

And yes, it would have to be an option, like it is in LR Classic, that can be turned on and off.  But it's more that the option is just there.  If LR Classic can have this type of function (although it's not intended as a backup measure) I don't see why it can't be implemented into ACR. 

There are many people who don't like the concept of a catalog and why they contnue to use ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why people feel this will massively slow down their computer.  I have a similar feature turned on in LR Classic (the XMP option) and I don't really notice a slow-down at all. 

For starters, one is a plug-in with a host, the other is a standalone application. And as someone who's developed no less than three Photoshop commercial Plug-In's, let me tell you, the two are not the same. Further, none of this has anything to do with a catalog.

Is this request doable? Maybe. Think Adobe just didn't consider this option? 

Go ahead and vote, we'll set back and maybe Adobe can and will do this. But just like LR, there needs to be an option to disable. 

The important question you should be asking others here: why is ACR/Photoshop crashing for you?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm talking about "regular" ACR (you can luanch from Bridge without opening PS), not the ACR Filter in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no “regular ACR”. There is only one but hosted by two applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You also must have mis-read my post.  The reason I bring up LR and the catalog is because it has the XMP files option which some view as a "backup" method in case your catalog gets corrupt (ie. a backup mechanism, although it writes EVERY change you make as you make them, possibly impacting performance).  But on mnay forums, this XMP files option for LR users is a the little known "secret" that everyone is told to turn off for performance reasons, but really should turn on for security (backup) reasons (so that's why it was bought up and I believe it could be done with ACR as well, but perhaps on a less aggressive interval, maybe every 5 minutes instead of after every single edit). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason I bring up LR and the catalog is because it has the XMP files option which some view as a "backup" method in case your catalog gets corrupt

By @sirhawkeye

Those people are confused. I suggest you stop listening to them. Any document can be corrupted and all should have backups. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this is true, but with LR you have the catalog itself (and thus can re-write the XMP file if needed) whereas with Bridge you only have the XMP file.  Once that's messed up, your edits are gone unless you recover a backed up XMP file (that is not corrupt). 

Also  i don't think you fully understand the benefit of the XMP file and the LR catalog. The LR catalog can be corrupt, but yet the XMP could still be OK.  the LR database can become corrupt because of other things unrelated to the XMP file, which is only written when you in the Develop module or doing things in the Library catalog.  I actually forced LR to crash and corrupt a catalog once to test this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But my overall point I feel is still relevant (and going off on a tanget about LR and XMP is not really relevant for the argument I'm making for an auto-recovery feature in the ACR interface that can be launched from Bridge (ie. not the ACR Filter in PS).  Like I said, clicking "Done" periodically is a workaround, but still, I don't think it's a huge favor to ask them to have it periodically write the current settings to a temp file while you're working.  I believe PS has an auto-save (auto recover) type feature, so I don't see why ACR can't have a similar feature.  After all , Iwould think that saving an XMP file woulid be much faster than saving an image file for crash recovery purposes.  I mean, all they really would have to do is trigger the functions that are invoked when the Done button is pressed, but instead of writing those changes to the actual XMP file associated with the image, they would be written to a temporary file but ACR Would still stay open when this is invoked on a periodic basis - like every 5 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But my overall point I feel is still relevant

By @sirhawkeye

Fine; let's see how many upvotes result. Thus far, crickets. <g>.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also i don't think you fully understand the benefit of the XMP file and the LR catalog.

By @sirhawkeye

“I am responsible for what I say but I’m not responsible for what you understand.”

- Anonymous.

Votes

Translate

Translate