• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: HSL Adjustments for Local Adjustment Tools

Advisor ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The addition of HSL controls for the adjustment brush and the gradient tools would be a wonderful advancement and offer LR another great feature set that I'm sure would come in handy for the vast majority of Lightroom users.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 137 Replies 137
137 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2011 Apr 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All image adjustments should be "brushable".

There should be no need to have an extra adjustment brush panel that duplicates only some of the controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2011 Apr 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whilst I agree with TK, that having all adjustments be subject to masking would be preferable, I also acknowledge that this might require a bigger redesign than Adobe is willing to do in Lr4. That said, I think we need to prioritize what we'd like to see local-able. Present colorizer is hardly adequate for local color adjustment: +1 vote HSL...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2011 Jun 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love the ability to make local changes to colour and / or white balance in different areas of an image, ideally via the adjustment brush. This could helpfully help adjust mixed lighting situations where usually the best colour balance /white balance is a compromise.

Perhaps each pin could have sliders next to each pin on screen to adjust parameters quickly (similar to nik interface?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Aug 15, 2011 Aug 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love the adjustment brush. I find that many times I wished had HSL controls in there. For example, a wedding dress typically picks up a blue tint that I'd like to remove. If the dress has other colors I don't want to desat, I'd love control over just the blue channel to paint out the cast.

[ ◉"]

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2012 Feb 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current saturation and colorizing features of LR feel inadequate; sometimes you just need to (de)saturate a single color in a single area of the image. The white balance brush coming up in LR4 seems like a nice start, and I hope HSL controls will get there as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2012 Jun 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would love to see the addition of an adjustment brush for the HSL (Hue / Saturation / Luminance) tool. Often when working with skin tones, the subject may have too much red/magenta and if the targeted Hue/Saturation levels are used, other items in the image that also share red and orange tones are affected. For example, a caucasian subject with fair/pinkish skin, reddish-blonde hair, and red lipstick. Make any adjustments to the skin tone and the hair and lips also shift. If they're wearing any jewelry or clothes that have red/orange tones and those are now changed; terrible if working on a fashion catalog where colors must be reproduced accurately.

An adjustment brush for HSL would be a great way to solve this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2012 Jun 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that now i can only specify a color overlay or use the White Balance setting, but it would be simpler if I could be specific on a color. Example: I sometime shoot vehicles with a garage door open. This places a blue cast on one specific portion of the vehicle. I would like to be able to use an adjustment brush to only affect that one area where the cast is a problem and reduce the saturation of the blue. I can use the normal HSL settings, but it affects the whole image. White Balance changes more colors than I want in that area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 24, 2012 Jul 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also love to see the HSL sliders added to the Adjustment Brush. This would make it a lot easier to locally increase/decrease a certain color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2012 Oct 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you make the local adjustment brush PLEASE link to an active individual color channel so you can brush to desaturate red and orange (skin tones for oompa loompa people in wedding parties!)? This would be so much faster than other methods of dealing with this problem.

Kris Gay
www.bestlightroomtraining.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two powerfull tools that cam be aded to the lightroom pannels.
The HSL pannel has color and point color control. What if you can build a new pannel next to the brush pannel that has all the adjustments(wb, exposure, clarity, sharpnes,...etc) BUT has the point color technology, so you can afect a single color with these setings, ex. the skin softness may be eassily adjusted in a bunch of photos at a time rather than painting one by one.(the portraiture plug-in does that decently)
The other thing that might be added in the detail pannel is a highpass filter with it being the last effet added on export.(capture nx2 has it as a filter)

Ciprian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to be able to manipulate specific colors with a brush! There are many times when there's something in the background (say a red car in the background that I'd like to diminish) and a global color adjustment would mess with something else in the image I don't want to impact (for example red lips). This would definitely save me a few trips to Photoshop for retouching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2014 May 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a feature request to enable HSL sliders for Paintbrush / Gradient and Radial filters in Lightroom. This would allow localised colour, saturation and luma adjustments for powerful editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2014 Jun 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom: how about an HSL adjustment brush? The targeted adjustment tool in HSL is one of the most powerful tools in Lightroom. I would LOVE to see this become an adjustment brush so that we can selectively adjust only portions of an image. Currently, the HSL too adjusts hue, saturation, and luminescence for the entire image. But, let's say I have an image with a large color range, but I only want to adjust a portion of it, without adjusting the entire image (for example, a portrait session from a beach sunset scene. I want to adjust the sky, without adjusting the model's clothing).

To do this, I would have to either go into Photoshop and use several adjustment layers, masking out the model. Or, I could create multiple virtual copies within Lightroom, adjust each one for the colors I want, and then blend them back together in Photoshop. Either way I am having to make the jump over to Photoshop.

An HSL adjustment brush could prevent this blending step. In the CC14 presentation, Adobe made a big deal about making our workflow faster, and more efficient, while cutting out unnecessary steps. This seems like a big one for us Lightroom users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2014 Jun 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing that his has been out there for three years does not give me much hope that we will actually see this any time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2014 Jun 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with pretty much everyone else. I am really missing HSL in the adjustment brush. Seems like an obvious and powerful enhancment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2014 Sep 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a feature I really would like. I don't want to jump over to Photoshop to perform this simple task.

Please Adobe. Add this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 22, 2014 Oct 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to see asking in the HSL panel. It could work in the same way as the adjustment brush, with pins. This would be a great feature, as sometimes I want to change the luminance, but don't want to change it for all of the colors in the image. Local HSL would be great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2014 Oct 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The adjustment brush as it is currently is great, but to really knock it out of the park there needs to be an adjustment brush for the HSL levels. I find myself needing to adjust the saturation or luminance of a certain color in a certain area, but end up not doing the adjustment for fear of ruining all of the same color in the rest of the photograph. Does anybody else think this should be a good addition?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have repeatedly asked for this feature since LR v.2 when the adjustment brush was introduced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is Chad's wife, Kris, posting from his Adobe ID password (our whole household uses Adobe software).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my thread from three years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is definitely aware that we want HSL (and other adjustments) localizable (e.g. Eric Chan of Adobe has commented about it in the past). Lr's design has limitations (e.g. performance), and they opted for white balance instead last time. Fingers cross for HSL next time.

For the mean time, consider using an app with layers, like Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 31, 2015 Dec 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HSL in adjustment brush makes so much sense. Sometimes I want to locally increase the green in the grass and not on the subject shirt. This would give huge flexibility in the editing process. Adobe you added dehaze in the adjustment brush why it's so hard to add HSL?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really hope they put this in the next version, it would save me so much time!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify, you're asking for the 24 sliders from the HSL area to be added to the 15 there currently are in the Adjustment Brush area?  I think performance and adding quite a bit more vertical height to the adjustment brush slider area may be the concerns.

Votes

Translate

Translate