Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

P: Support for Canon .CR3 Camera-matching Profiles

46 Votes
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is currently zero support for .CR3 camera color profiles in Lightroom... especially since the newer Canon cameras use a .CR3 format... making it difficult to get work done. Only slightly surprised that this wasnt planned for beforehand since there still isnt a 64bit version of the adobe programs that i can use on the most current version of MacOS.

Idea Planned
TOPICS
Cross-app workflows, macOS, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020
Affects: Camera Raw - Lightroom Classic - Lightroom Ecosystem (Desktop, Mobile and Web)   Camera Matching Profiles:  Support for a particular flavor of a camera’s raw file does not necessarily mean that there will be Camera Matching profiles for that camera at the time of raw file support.  It is normal for Camera Matching profiles to follow raw support by one or two releases. In the case of some camera models or camera manufacturers or in the event of major changes in file format by a particula...

Translate

Translate
replies 452 Replies 452
452 Comments
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

made a submission and now it has been merged, the question has still not been answered, when/if will camera profile for canon happen? I got a patronizing response but nothing that indicates if this is going to happen.  the adobe profile makes these images look like 1980 color, and if I have to use DPP or another program that ruins the benefit of LR as a workflow tool.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how can a small guy like " colorfidelity " have a better camera profile (not perfect but light years better than adobe standard) than the massive adobe inc.? when will cr3 support happen?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@NarratusMedia Well you could do the same. By creating your own DCP profiles (software free) and/or editing existing profiles (again, with free software). 

Everything you thought you wanted to know about DNG/DCP camera profiles:
All about In this 30 minute video, we will look into the creation and use of DNG (.dcp) camera profiles in three raw converters. The video covers:
What are DNG camera profiles, how do they differ from ICC camera profiles.
Misconceptions about DNG camera profiles.
Just when, and why do you need to build custom DNG camera profiles?
How to build custom DNG camera profiles using the X-rite Passport software.
The role of various illuminants on camera sensors and DNG camera profiles.
Dual Illuminant DNG camera profiles.
Examples of usage of DNG camera profiles in Lightroom, ACR, and Iridient Developer.
Low Rez (YouTube):
http://youtu.be/_fikTm8XIt4
High Rez (download):
http://www.digitaldog.net/files/DNGCameraprofilevideo.mov

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sure, but I'm paying monthly for software so i don't have to do that

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am trying to find out if adobe is going to add it or not

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's like suggesting that because you pay for a monthly subscription, Adobe should also provide output profiles for your printers. Nope. You have Adobe Standard. You want other profiles. Buy them if you must, create them yourself for free. Your choice. 

Oh, you can stop subscription anytime too. I don't see how throwing out the baby with the bathwater is useful but of course you can do so. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am trying to find out if adobe is going to add it or not

Currently, not. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, Im not a trainer, or tech, just trying to get back the function that the product had before the camera upgrade, but at least your there to defend adobe. thanks for the info , hopefully someone will  answer the original question.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, Im not a trainer, or tech, just trying to get back the function that the product had before the camera upgrade

You upgraded a camera, nothing changed otherwise with LR. 

, but at least your there to defend adobe

No, I'm providing you the facts and a fix you apparently can't produce. Fine. 

Adobe may provide camera matching profiles in the future, maybe means maybe, and if Canon made it easier (didn't hide some information in their proprietary raws with newer CR versions), Adobe might have an easier time as they did in the past. You asked a question, you got a factual answer. So did the OP. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree 100%. This is something that Adobe always delivered for previous cameras. One of the biggest reasons I subscribed. The Camera Standard profile was just great. But not anymore. No more Camera Matching profiles for new Canon cameras (after the EOS R). To me this is worse than if Adobe removed the highlight slider. But another arrogant replier (that does not seem to be from Adobe) would just answer: "What's your problem; You have the shadow slider. Use that instead. Or make your own slider". Man that is not helping. At all. So maybe we can have a real answer now. From Adobe this time, I hope.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well if your factual answer gives a solution to me then maby you should send it to adobe, if its that easy then they have even less of a reason to not supply the function to the customers asking for it

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Affects: Camera Raw - Lightroom Classic - Lightroom Ecosystem (Desktop, Mobile and Web)

Camera Matching Profiles: 
Support for a particular flavor of a camera’s raw file does not necessarily mean that there will be Camera Matching profiles for that camera at the time of raw file support.  It is normal for Camera Matching profiles to follow raw support by one or two releases. In the case of some camera models or camera manufacturers or in the event of major changes in file format by a particular manufacturer, that time may be greatly increased. 

Note: Not all cameras will ultimately receive Camera Matching profiles. 

Other Options:

The free DNG Profile Tool will allow you to create a custom calibration for your specific camera. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/digital-negative.html  If your concern is immediate access to accurate color profiling this is a good option to take control and provide an accurate profile to your camera.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe DID provide a factual answer, it was pasted here 2 months ago. Since some haven't found it, I'll paste it again (2nd time today):

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/camera-raw-and-dng/what-does-camera-support-mean/5f5f46...

Support for a particular flavor of a camera’s raw file does not necessarily mean that there will be Camera Matching profiles for that camera at the time of raw file support. It is normal for Camera Matching profiles to follow raw support by one or two releases. In the case of some camera manufacturers or the event of major changes by a particular manufacturer, that time may be greatly increased. 

Note: Not all cameras will ever receive a set of Camera Matching profiles. ”

The last sentence is key to read and accept. This may change, it may not. 

In the meantime you can work towards your own solution of complain. The former takes less time than the later actually. 

If you spend five minutes complaining, you have just wasted five minutes.” Anonymous

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ooo now we have quotes from anonymous, this is getting fun

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ooo now we have quotes from anonymous, this is getting fun

Nope:

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not to antagonize too much, but the biggest question is when and if , the vague response adobe is giving should be clarified.,  

In all seriousness i do appreciate you info, i will look at it further if I have time,, I spend more time behind the camera than at the desk. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was clarification in the URL provided from Adobe. 

You will need to spend a minute or two behind the camera to create your own DCP camera profiles but it is time well spent. Maybe some time editing them to match a JPEG (questionable if that's even necessary, rendering controls as outlined above, saved as a Preset can probably provide a subjective acceptance of a 'match' which no one anywhere ever guaranteed would produce a match in all cases). 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, I'll stop here, your not getting were i am coming from and that's fine, you can release me back into the wild. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does adobe ever post in here? to this thread that is

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

last question got merged so I will try again, seems third parties can make a profile that is close but not quite there, it has been a long time since the cr3 came out, if there a guess or timeline of camera profiles?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does adobe ever post in here?

Yes; as the URL I provided with the post from Adobe illustrates. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone can make or edit a DCP camera profile. You simply need the software to do so, at least two companies (Adobe and X-rite) have free products to do so. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nice thread. 

- I paid the $15 to ColorFidelity for the M6mkII profiles.  I didn't want to spend time creating my own DCP, but I do want to easily get a BASELINE on RAW that looks close to what Canon JPG is.
Although not imposible by any means, I don't think creating a good profile is 5 minutes, and if it were, Adobe could've done it already

- I know I can use Canon's DPP to get an exact match. But I actually enjoy doing all my photo processing in LR. 

- I don't DEMAND Adobe to get these camera matching profiles out. It would be nice, that's all. Again, because I actually enjoy doing 100% of my processing in LR. 

- In other words, Adobe Product Managers, I think there's some need for these profiles..

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating a profile is about 5 minutes to produce after shooting a target. 

I never said nor suggested editing any profile to mimic a JPEG would take 5 minutes. Might, probably not. Absolutely doable either with the free DNG camera profile editor OR using the Calibration Pane and other sliders then produce a preset. Does it or will it match ALL JPEGs? Doubtful nor can Adobe or anyone else guarantee such profiles or presets will always do so.

I do want to easily get a BASELINE on RAW that looks close 

The key word is close.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that there is an official response from Adobe employee Rikk Flohr at the top of this conversation, posted 13 hours ago.

Also note that Adobe has marked this feature request as "planned". But it's very unlikely that you'll get a timeline from Adobe -- to quote Rikk, "ETA for any type of camera support is generally not announced in advance of release."

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines