Highlighted

2020 Update love it or hate it

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what's going on here, but yesterday there was a lengthy post about this update and I even wrote a comment on it. Today, the post is gone and my post does not show in my profile. I was, BTW in no way rude or using foul language. I have no idea where it went.

Anyway, I know that there are still a lot of others complaining about the update. I am currently looking into other software solutions because it is just not usable to me anymore. For those of you that are defending the update or think that we are just complaining and don't like change, please consider this, I hope Adobe does...

A program like Bridge, in conjunction with ACR, is designed for people who are processing large amounts of files. To move through them in the fastest way possible. Time is money. This is not merely a matter of convenience or what someone prefers. This is something that, given the job they have to do and the business model they have and the way that they work, this is the best, fastest most efficient way to get these images processed. When anything changes that adds time to that system, it can have an enormous impact. In truth, just 1 mouse click and the clunky new cropping tool can add an extra 5 to 10 seconds to each image. Let's say it 7 seconds per image. Doesn't sound like much, but it adds up quick. That's 1 minute for every 8.5 images. During our busy season, we do 1,500 to 2,000 images a week, we do school photography. Let's say 1,750. That's 206 minutes a week or almost 3.5 hours. Even if I pay someone only $15 an hour (I don't, I do it myself and I'm worth a LOT more than that), It's $50 a week. Over the course of a year, this amounts to almost $1,500 just for the schools. If Adobe had just raised the price of their software by $1,500 a year, you'd be pissed too.

My point here is that if you are a software engineer and working on something like PS, than quality would be your first concern, speed second. Of course you try to balance the two. But if a keystroke makes the image look a lot better, it's worth a little extra time. But, when you are working on something like Bridge/ACR, where speed is the motive, you should be doing time trials with the software. Try 3 or 4 different types of UI and cunduct speed tests to see which is the fastest. Then balance that out with quality. 

I don't know about anyone else, but that is exactly how I started using Bridge/ACR over LR in the first place. I did a few time trials with myself to see how long it took to get through 100 images in each. Bridge/ACR was way faster. Almost twice as fast if I remember correctly. You may have different results and LR may work better for you, no problem. That's why we had the choice.

Thanks for the info. I already know and tried all of it. Sorry to take up your valuble time and space. I am switching to Capture One for my volume work. It is more geared towards speed. 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

2020 Update love it or hate it

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what's going on here, but yesterday there was a lengthy post about this update and I even wrote a comment on it. Today, the post is gone and my post does not show in my profile. I was, BTW in no way rude or using foul language. I have no idea where it went.

Anyway, I know that there are still a lot of others complaining about the update. I am currently looking into other software solutions because it is just not usable to me anymore. For those of you that are defending the update or think that we are just complaining and don't like change, please consider this, I hope Adobe does...

A program like Bridge, in conjunction with ACR, is designed for people who are processing large amounts of files. To move through them in the fastest way possible. Time is money. This is not merely a matter of convenience or what someone prefers. This is something that, given the job they have to do and the business model they have and the way that they work, this is the best, fastest most efficient way to get these images processed. When anything changes that adds time to that system, it can have an enormous impact. In truth, just 1 mouse click and the clunky new cropping tool can add an extra 5 to 10 seconds to each image. Let's say it 7 seconds per image. Doesn't sound like much, but it adds up quick. That's 1 minute for every 8.5 images. During our busy season, we do 1,500 to 2,000 images a week, we do school photography. Let's say 1,750. That's 206 minutes a week or almost 3.5 hours. Even if I pay someone only $15 an hour (I don't, I do it myself and I'm worth a LOT more than that), It's $50 a week. Over the course of a year, this amounts to almost $1,500 just for the schools. If Adobe had just raised the price of their software by $1,500 a year, you'd be pissed too.

My point here is that if you are a software engineer and working on something like PS, than quality would be your first concern, speed second. Of course you try to balance the two. But if a keystroke makes the image look a lot better, it's worth a little extra time. But, when you are working on something like Bridge/ACR, where speed is the motive, you should be doing time trials with the software. Try 3 or 4 different types of UI and cunduct speed tests to see which is the fastest. Then balance that out with quality. 

I don't know about anyone else, but that is exactly how I started using Bridge/ACR over LR in the first place. I did a few time trials with myself to see how long it took to get through 100 images in each. Bridge/ACR was way faster. Almost twice as fast if I remember correctly. You may have different results and LR may work better for you, no problem. That's why we had the choice.

Thanks for the info. I already know and tried all of it. Sorry to take up your valuble time and space. I am switching to Capture One for my volume work. It is more geared towards speed. 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 01, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not defending one over the other. However, it's easy to defend the "old" Bridge/Camera Raw method over the new one or the Lightroom method when you are not familiar with it and have to take time to hunt for the tools that you need. But I think if one becomes as familiar with either method so that they can access the tools as they need them they would find that the time differential probably would disappear. I don't have any statistics to back up my statement. All I can say is that I am primarily a LrC user. I used to find it rather cumbersome to work with Camera Raw. It slowed my workflow noticeably, but now I can move much more quickly when using Camera Raw 12.3. I suspect if you choose to switch to other software that your productivity will suffer initially as your staff becomes accustomed to working with what ever it is you choose.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with you Jim. I mean to refer to the changes to the cropping. They took away the option of setting a default aspect ratio making for extra clicks with every pic. The way that it worked before was, click on top right corner drag to bottom left, click programable button on mouse to go to next pic. No matter how I work the new system, it will never be that efficient.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2020 1
Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, this is a user to user support forum so you're not being too effective addessing your 'concens'. 
You should go here and make your comments directly to Adobe:
https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

You can of course roll back to an older version that behaves as you wish, adapt* to the new verison or move to another product. 

* There's a number of ways to save the crop depending on what you want. You can do a "Copy Settings" and then "Paste Settings: if you have a number of images selected. This can be done from the filmstrip clicking on the three little dots.

You can also do a "Save Settings" as a Preset and call it up at any time using a similar GUI. If you only wanted the Crop, you'd probably select first "None" then just click on the "Crop" check box, give the preset a name then recall it whenever you wanted it. You can even save this out as XMP to load but a preset is probably better (XMP would be useful for saving across multiple computers).

With the Preset, you could have just this crop but you could have a crop and any of the other settings built there too as seen below where I have crop and geometry in one preset.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 02, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 02, 2020 0
Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what you are saying about the crop tool. Here again, that doesn't bother me because I'm accustomed to the Lightroom method. But let's hold on and see what the next update brings. One of the threads on this forum has a comment by Mohit, an Adobe employee, who indicated that they are working on some changes. I don't work for Adobe, have no connection with them whatsoever. I don't know when the next update will be released or what changes might be included. But let's see what happens and then make your decision. It will take time to learn a whole different system anyway. Change is always painful. Especially when it cuts into the bottom line.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sad that the "correct answer" to your (and my) problems with 12.3 is your own reply that you are moving to C1.  As to posts disappearing, there has been a lot of "tidying" of the voices of discord,  with threads locked, merged and closed down and comments deleted as the volume of complaints has increased. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what I suspected as well. I very much understand that you can't please everybody, but I am not sure what can be gained by making these products more and more similar. They had LR to be a slick time saver and over bloated it with features and it got cumbersome. I actually like LR, it was just the crop tool that I hated. I started using ACDSee, which I used for DAM because all of the importing stuff that these software do, drives me crazy. ACDSee had a great cropping tool that was very fast. Problem was it was cumbersome using 2 pieces of software to run hundreds of images at a time. Then I found ACR and Bridge. Bridge is not a great DAM, not as good as ACDSee, but worked and ACR cropped just like it and I could do all of my editing in 1 piece of software. Now they want to make it more like LR, why? If people wanted to use LR they would. It just seems like they get closer and closer to haing less solutions. I also think that they have no regard for people using their product as part of their work. Sitting down to edit a large job, opening up the software to find it is completely different and now they have to waste an entire morning figuring it out. Now production has to come to a stop until it is fixed. It is quite frustrating. Then you come here to get suggestions and maybe to vent and they lock you post and take it down. 

Oh Well.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0