• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Revert UI to older Camera Raw UI (12.2.1) after Interface Changes

LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after updating photoshop , when i opened it for the first time there was option to use camera raw as it is (vertical film) or to change it to new UI (with new look and horizontal filmstrip ), i just clicked new UI to see how it looks , i thought if i dont like it i will just go back to using older UI but there is no option to select older UI , i contacted adobe but person who was helping me just suggested that i should install older version of camera raw or ask for help from this forum , i found it bit frustrating that if there was simple option to choose new UI so why not give option to revert back to older UI with newly updated software. maybe its bug or adobe forcing people to use new UI even if they dont like it

Idea Declined Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Thank you for continuing to provide valuable feedback on the recent UI changes in Adobe Camera Raw 12.3. For some customers these changes have disrupted existing workflows, particularly for in-process projects. To mitigate these issues we have offered a roll back to version 12.2.1 so that you can continue your current projects under the old UI.

Adobe updated the Camera Raw user interface for several reasons. The new design supports commonly-requested features, such as a horizontal filmstrip, a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020
If you want to refer to 12.2.1, you can do so here: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html#12_x

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 788 Replies 788
788 Comments
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing but vain excuses.......go bankrupt Adobe.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that our Andrew loves to use quotations to justify his rather nasty demeanor against fellow forum members.
It's a pity there is no block or ignore feature so we don't have to read comments that provide zero value to any such topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how to stop recieving notifications every time someone replies here. Where is the button to stop this? Pls?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on your face(top right of this page) then to the left, you'd see the notification settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to reload an older version of Camera Raw because the 12.3 is pretty much unusable in production. Way too much scrolling, hidden features, etc... 

It was bad enough when the last version hid sync and select icons, now that's totally gone. WTF? 

If you want to "move forward", and dumb things down (like Elements), at least offer Expert where you can control the UI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you COLOR LABEL??? I've tried using command, control with a number or just a number by itself. This is how I organized what files to export and what to discard and so I know where I am.. I scroll down to the end of the greens.. and continue working on the unlabelled. 

ALSO- why TF is there no INTENSITY SLIDER for presets?? the "profile" thing doesn't let me use the slider for most of my user-imported presets. 

I dont' use LR because it's bulky and does all kinds of annoying things I don't want. As many others commented, why make ACR into LR? We chose ACR because we don't want LR! I don't want to learn a new software and Adobe is supposedly industry standard. But 12.3 is pushing my patience like never before. I'm a wedding, event and product photographer and I need a tool that can handle thousands of images a week reliably and efficiently. After the thousands of dollars I've paid to Adobe this is what we get..?? PLEASE ADOBE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easy to spot the Real ones, Dr Edman, by what they post...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you COLOR LABEL??? 
First, go into Adobe Bridge, Preferences> Labels. Uncheck the option named "Require the command key (ctrl-key) to apply labels and ratings. Then you can add ratings and labels with number keys 1–9 in both ACR and Bridge. Click on a thumbnail and you can how assign colors using number keys. 

ALSO- why TF is there no INTENSITY SLIDER for presets?? the "profile" thing doesn't let me use the slider for most of my user-imported presets. 
If the sliders move, it's a preset. If the sliders don't move, it's a profile. And they are separated in the browser, partially for this reason.

There are  two types of profiles now: DCPs and the newer XMP-based ones. In terms of the newer XMP based profiles, they specify a base DCP. For the vast majority of them, including those made by third parties, that base DCP will be Adobe Standard. So the first consideration is that XMP Profiles are built on top of DCPs and extend the DCP profile. On top of the base DCP, there is an optional Look Up Table/LUT. XMP-based profile can also specify many but not all of the options from the GUI we use. There are some reasons why these profiles do not move corresponding sliders. For example, a preset for vignetting adds just a vignette and do nothing else, the other adjustments are not altered. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you were scrolling too much, change it to single panel in the preferences, so that only one panel is open at a time. Yes the hidden features can be a pain at times, but after using the new version for some time, I found it very difficult to go back to the old version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the single panel mode simplifies things greatly. If one takes the time to familiarize oneself with the new user interface it really isn't all that bad. It might take a session or two to become accustomed to it. But everything is there, it ain't broke, it really doesn't need fixing, it isn't dumbed down, it's just different. I think Camera Raw users are just kind of stuck in a rut, have blinders on. Take a little time and learn something new. On the other hand, now you can hammer on me, which I'm sure you will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will say, reverting to 12.2.1 has given me a new love for ACR after the 12.3 tragedy

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2020/06/acrv12-3.html

Customizing Panels — ACR’s new single column panel display makes it easy to work with multiple panels at once.

• Click the Settings icon (the gear) and choose Preferences > General (or Control -click (Mac) | right -click on the name of a panel) to select a panel mode:

Single Panel Mode – displays panel options for one panel at a time – clicking on a panel expands the contents of that panel while collapsing any other open panels (useful when working on a laptop or smaller display as it eliminates the need to scroll through several open panels to access options).

Responsive Panel Mode – ACR will intelligently open and close edit panels to automatically fit your monitor.

Multi Panel Mode – leaves all opened panels expanded.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

someone can literally suck my big fat stinky powerful big toe if they want to tell me to be a forward thinker and use 12.3. Power users will note that their long used keyboard shortcuts, basic functionality, color coding, window maximization, and streamlined experience is all out the window with this update. reverting to 12.2 was the best thing i did this week. my only issue now is bridge isn't synced with ACR anymore. smh adobe. i pay for a working tool. and now it works worse. LIGHTroom is for LIGHT users. it's the apple photos app adobe equivalent. editing 6000 photos this week alone isn't possible in a fluffy childproof software like LR. i need TOOLS THAT WORK. that's why i pay for this shit. thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Philip expressing the emotional feelings of the majority in his post. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phil, please  literally revert to 12.2; I can't imagine anyone wanting to suck on you big fat stinky powerful toe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Philip! Thank you Billy Ben!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please review the official response posted on this thread. 

This thread will be closed now. If you wish to file a bug for a specific issue or if you wish to request a feature (a change in as-designed behavior), please start a distinct new thread for each item. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for continuing to provide valuable feedback on the recent UI changes in Adobe Camera Raw 12.3. For some customers these changes have disrupted existing workflows, particularly for in-process projects. To mitigate these issues we have offered a roll back to version 12.2.1 so that you can continue your current projects under the old UI.

Adobe updated the Camera Raw user interface for several reasons. The new design supports commonly-requested features, such as a horizontal filmstrip, a Crop tool consistent with the Photoshop and Lightroom crop models, and the ability to see multiple edit panels simultaneously. The new design is also intended to accommodate several new image editing features that we have in the works.

At this time, Adobe is not planning to revert the UI to the 12.2.1 state nor are there plans to offer both interfaces as an option in the future. That said, we are determined to fix bugs and improve workflows within the new user interface. Please continue to provide feedback on bugs (items not working as designed) and feature requests (changing items from their as designed behavior to a new behavior). Each individual item warrants its own new thread where we can hone the request with your information and commentary and others can provide pinpoint feedback.

In a forum like this it is often easy to lose sight of the self-selecting bias that can result making it appear as if 'everyone in the world’ is complaining. Remember, those for whom the UI has caused little or no difficulty have little incentive to appear and post here.

Lastly, it is most important to respect others opinions, behave civilly and stay focused on providing quality feedback.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what's going on here, but yesterday there was a lengthy post about this update and I even wrote a comment on it. Today, the post is gone and my post does not show in my profile. I was, BTW in no way rude or using foul language. I have no idea where it went.

Anyway, I know that there are still a lot of others complaining about the update. I am currently looking into other software solutions because it is just not usable to me anymore. For those of you that are defending the update or think that we are just complaining and don't like change, please consider this, I hope Adobe does...

A program like Bridge, in conjunction with ACR, is designed for people who are processing large amounts of files. To move through them in the fastest way possible. Time is money. This is not merely a matter of convenience or what someone prefers. This is something that, given the job they have to do and the business model they have and the way that they work, this is the best, fastest most efficient way to get these images processed. When anything changes that adds time to that system, it can have an enormous impact. In truth, just 1 mouse click and the clunky new cropping tool can add an extra 5 to 10 seconds to each image. Let's say it 7 seconds per image. Doesn't sound like much, but it adds up quick. That's 1 minute for every 8.5 images. During our busy season, we do 1,500 to 2,000 images a week, we do school photography. Let's say 1,750. That's 206 minutes a week or almost 3.5 hours. Even if I pay someone only $15 an hour (I don't, I do it myself and I'm worth a LOT more than that), It's $50 a week. Over the course of a year, this amounts to almost $1,500 just for the schools. If Adobe had just raised the price of their software by $1,500 a year, you'd be pissed too.

My point here is that if you are a software engineer and working on something like PS, than quality would be your first concern, speed second. Of course you try to balance the two. But if a keystroke makes the image look a lot better, it's worth a little extra time. But, when you are working on something like Bridge/ACR, where speed is the motive, you should be doing time trials with the software. Try 3 or 4 different types of UI and cunduct speed tests to see which is the fastest. Then balance that out with quality. 

I don't know about anyone else, but that is exactly how I started using Bridge/ACR over LR in the first place. I did a few time trials with myself to see how long it took to get through 100 images in each. Bridge/ACR was way faster. Almost twice as fast if I remember correctly. You may have different results and LR may work better for you, no problem. That's why we had the choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not defending one over the other. However, it's easy to defend the "old" Bridge/Camera Raw method over the new one or the Lightroom method when you are not familiar with it and have to take time to hunt for the tools that you need. But I think if one becomes as familiar with either method so that they can access the tools as they need them they would find that the time differential probably would disappear. I don't have any statistics to back up my statement. All I can say is that I am primarily a LrC user. I used to find it rather cumbersome to work with Camera Raw. It slowed my workflow noticeably, but now I can move much more quickly when using Camera Raw 12.3. I suspect if you choose to switch to other software that your productivity will suffer initially as your staff becomes accustomed to working with what ever it is you choose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with you Jim. I mean to refer to the changes to the cropping. They took away the option of setting a default aspect ratio making for extra clicks with every pic. The way that it worked before was, click on top right corner drag to bottom left, click programable button on mouse to go to next pic. No matter how I work the new system, it will never be that efficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what you are saying about the crop tool. Here again, that doesn't bother me because I'm accustomed to the Lightroom method. But let's hold on and see what the next update brings. One of the threads on this forum has a comment by Mohit, an Adobe employee, who indicated that they are working on some changes. I don't work for Adobe, have no connection with them whatsoever. I don't know when the next update will be released or what changes might be included. But let's see what happens and then make your decision. It will take time to learn a whole different system anyway. Change is always painful. Especially when it cuts into the bottom line.

Votes

Translate

Translate