• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

7D2 CR2 reading problem with Camera Raw (Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC)

Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the issue you can see in the video:

Canon 7D2 CR2 problem with Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC - YouTube

In some cases when I import a CR2 made with Canon 7D2 into LR CC or PS CC I have this issue.

On the other hand, there is no any issue in any non-adobe image viewer software, for example irfanview. It happens about 2 times in 2000 image. It is not a huge percent, but so frustrating if you need that 2 image.

I have tried several things:

- Win7, Win8 and Win10

- desktop PC and 2 notebook

- I have swapped my hard drives and reinstall all software to new ones. (both the operating system and LR+PS also)

- different memory cards, SD and CF, with low-level format

- it also the same with ACR 9.4 and 9.12

- there is no any issue with 50D, 7D, 6D

It is only happen in LR and PS, so that's the reason why I think it is an ACR issue. But I really do not know what kind of error can be in the CR2 file that cause this.

Have you ever seen sg like this or have you got any solution for this?

Thanks.
Regards.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

You have a hardware problem. Corrupted RAW files. The other image viewer is showing the embedded JPG image included with every RAW file.

The corruption could be from the card you are using or card reader or cable used to connect the card reader or camera to your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the exact version numbers for LR and ACR?

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your reply.

versions:

Lightroom version: CC 2015.3

Adobe Photoshop Version: 2015.1
ACR 9.12

I have bought my 7D2 more than 1 year ago, I have realized this wiht ACR 9.4 first. First time it was logical to handle this issue as a filesystem error on the memory card or hard drive. I shoot a lot of picture during a concert or rallye and it was not a big issue. But nowadays it gets more frustrating. I have totally brand new SD and CF cards, started them using with low level format, only in my 7D2, I am not swapping cards between my bodies. I have several hard drives, so tried other ones under my OS and data files, still the same.
I have rent an other 7D2 body and still the same. It is not more than 2 times in 2000 pictures, but I really need to find the rootcause or any workaround for this...

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, here is the right url for the screem cap video:

Canon 7D2 CR2 problem with Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC - YouTube - YouTube

Lightroom version: CC 2015.3

Adobe Photoshop Version: 2015.1
ACR 9.12

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a hardware problem. Corrupted RAW files. The other image viewer is showing the embedded JPG image included with every RAW file.

The corruption could be from the card you are using or card reader or cable used to connect the card reader or camera to your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer.
I have found the original SD card where the last 2 photo is still there. I try to copy that to an other laptop with different card reader and second from the body directly. I will post the result here. If it works, the problem is with the card reader, if not the problem could be SD card or the body itself (although I had the same with different body and cards, but never know, maybe I will be lucky...) thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also the initial view in LR is also from the embedded JPG then LR reads the actual RAW data, which is corrupted, and builds a preview from it and displays that.

You can also try turning off the option to use the GPU if it is now enabled. But I doubt that will solve the corruption problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

okay, I think I have the rootcause and you were right. in 90% percent I use my silicon power usb3 reader, and I have 2 of them, so there was no any reason to point them as failured parts. but now I tried an other one and everything is working fine.
The failured card readers are Silicon Power usb3. It uses fat usb3 cable to copy files. it is not a cheapest one, but not the most expensive. I had never get any issues with those. I bought them about 4-5 years ago and carry with me to the field also. Maybe the cable or the reader is failured in one of them... Of course I cannot reproduce the copy error with the SP readers now, but it is totally clear for me, that it has failed the transmission when I was copying the files. I will always use 'cableless' card readers for my cards in the future. By the way it is no problem for the SD cards, but there is much less option for read the CF cards with integral reader...

thanks a lot.
have a nice day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines